FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What's your range?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I think several people who have posted their ranges are just mistaken. For instance, while the range willay posted doesn't include any notes that could never be produced by human voices, I suspect that willay really only went up to A5, and unless he has a particularly deep voice or was basically making burping noises, may have started at G2, and not realized it.

My ranges that I posted are sanity-checked by the fact that I really am a musician, can read music, and have enough choral experience to know where my limits really are and what singing those notes really mean.

If the men weren't including their falsetto ranges (and also weren't counting notes they could only hit in a fairly quiet fry tone that the RB mic would probably never recognize as a note), then you'd probably get the impression that two octaves is a good range, and someone without any past singing experience will basically never have a 2-octave range. Examples of relevant2-octave ranges:
C2-C4 is a lower bass range than is almost ever needed in choral music
F2-F4 is a perfectly adequate baritone range
C3-C5 is a good high tenor range
F3-F5 is wider than an alto will almost ever need
C4-C6 is an impressive 1st soprano range, particularly if that C6 does cause anyone to leave the room

I sang in everything from a huge 200+-voice choir to a 9-member cappella jazz ensemble (and a few one-off quartets) in High School, and never developed more than about 2 octaves + a third of useful chest-tone range (except maybe on exceptional days) until I was in my 20s. I've pretty much always been able to hit a C6 in falsetto, plus or minus a few notes, but not in a way that would be performance-worthy, but that doesn't really count :-)
Organizer, Vocalist and path factory for Season 9 League Champion band Barre Exam (RB1) and cofounder of Season 10 League Champion band Better Than You --v (RB2) - The #1 band on scorehero
Kawigi's Rock Band Projects
Drum Paths | Star Cutoffs | Scoring Data for Pathing | Notes and Lyrics for Vocalists
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kawigi
Shvegait  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildbillkickoff wrote:
The long and short of this for me is that I can hit every note in the game, but at different times of day. The low D (I think it's a D) at the beginning of Shackler's I can only hit before 10:00 AM. The B in Peace of Mind I can get about 1/3 of the time, but only in the late evening, and it sounds awful when I do so that and the squeal in Painkiller are the only phrases in the game I regularly take an octave down when going for an FC.

Wow, this is interesting, I've never thought of this before. I'll have to try Shackler's in the morning. I usually play at night I haven't been able to hit that lowest note.

@Kawigi: I was starting to think something similar, wasn't sure how accurate people are really being, but maybe someone does have some crazy inhuman range. I'm not a musician, but my range was based on notes that I actually hit in Rock Band. I noticed that any song whose lowest note was E3 or higher, I could sing shifted down an octave* (e.g. Go With the Flow, Message in a Bottle, Celebrity Skin, One Way or Another), so I concluded my range goes down to E2 (although that E2 is a little iffy unless it's a long sustain and/or I can ease my way into it). For the high end, the high note of White Wedding, the G4, is a pretty big stretch and I can't hit it reliably. The F#4 in Drain You (second note) is a strain but I can hit it. So from that I conclude that my range is like E2 to F#4, but above E4 it gets very uncomfortable so I generally drop octaves if it gets that high. In practice, though, I can't hit that E2 or F#4 on demand.

*Except Painkiller.

Bladder of Steel/Platinum Artist - 2/15/09
willay  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawigi wrote:
Frankly, I think several people who have posted their ranges are just mistaken. For instance, while the range willay posted doesn't include any notes that could never be produced by human voices, I suspect that willay really only went up to A5, and unless he has a particularly deep voice or was basically making burping noises, may have started at G2, and not realized it.

whoops
You were right about G2 - when i did this, i used garageband since the link in the OP wasn't working. I was able to hit the G below C2, so I figured it was G1. my bad.
I can actually hit A6 though. I checked with the link in the OP (which works now)

xtreme2252  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this is right

Chest voice- D#2-D4
Falsetto- D4-A6

I'm a lot better at higher pitches than lower ones though

I can hit the highest pitched part in Painkiller (that's not my highest note i can hit though), and i can almost hit "you" in Drain You in the correct octave, but so far i'm about half a note away from that

Other than that, i'm mostly okay. the only other note i can't hit is the low-pitched part in Man In The Box
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Xtreme2252
WhYYZ  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentimentalgeek wrote:
For people who seem to be confused about how to use the keyboard to figure out your range (I'm looking at you, internetguy, WhyYYZ, and Bandaddy ):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwwbIFQKUzs

Thanks for the vid
My range is B2~B5
My comfortable singing range is D2~G4

Haven't done falsetto, as I just woke up and I'm sure I would'nt be able to hear the piano anymore if I did that.

Quote:
The low D (I think it's a D) at the beginning of Shackler's I can only hit before 10:00 AM. The B in Peace of Mind I can get about 1/3 of the time, but only in the late evening, and it sounds awful when I do so that and the squeal in Painkiller are the only phrases in the game I regularly take an octave down when going for an FC.
------
Wow, this is interesting, I've never thought of this before. I'll have to try Shackler's in the morning. I usually play at night I haven't been able to hit that lowest note.

This is rather logical, You're INTIRE body is smaller if you just came out of bed (1 Inch or so) so this also applies for your vocal chords and there for lowering your upper and lower range I'll try this again (The Piano) in the evening. And i'll proablly won't hit B2 but wil hit B5 easier.

200 Posts!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willay wrote:
Kawigi wrote:

whoops
You were right about G2 - when i did this, i used garageband since the link in the OP wasn't working. I was able to hit the G below C2, so I figured it was G1. my bad.
I can actually hit A6 though. I checked with the link in the OP (which works now)

The G below C2 is G2. But it's very unlikely that you can actually sing C2 (2 octaves below middle C), much less G1.

The best way to test is to take that lowest G and sing it, then sing the next G one octave up, and the one above that, and so on. If you really had a G1-A6 range, you should be able to hit 6 different Gs (or 5 different Gs if it's G2-A6).
Organizer, Vocalist and path factory for Season 9 League Champion band Barre Exam (RB1) and cofounder of Season 10 League Champion band Better Than You --v (RB2) - The #1 band on scorehero
Kawigi's Rock Band Projects
Drum Paths | Star Cutoffs | Scoring Data for Pathing | Notes and Lyrics for Vocalists
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kawigi
woozerkristen  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect some people may be matching pitches rather than octaves. I know that's what I instinctively do if I am trying to match a note and can't hit the right octave -- I drop/jump an octave without even thinking about it. I found myself doing that initially when I was trying to match the lower and higher notes on that keyboard. You have to make a conscious effort not to do it.

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
willay  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawigi wrote:
willay wrote:
Kawigi wrote:

whoops

The G below C2 is G2. But it's very unlikely that you can actually sing C2 (2 octaves below middle C), much less G1.

The best way to test is to take that lowest G and sing it, then sing the next G one octave up, and the one above that, and so on. If you really had a G1-A6 range, you should be able to hit 6 different Gs (or 5 different Gs if it's G2-A6).

OK, I don't know what i did on garageband, but I can't hit G1. I can hit G2.
And yeah, I was able to hit 5 different G's (), just none of them sound very good

dogfoodnyc  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woozerkristen wrote:
I suspect some people may be matching pitches rather than octaves. I know that's what I instinctively do if I am trying to match a note and can't hit the right octave -- I drop/jump an octave without even thinking about it. I found myself doing that initially when I was trying to match the lower and higher notes on that keyboard. You have to make a conscious effort not to do it.

Agreed. I caught myself doing the entire test run on that key one octave higher. I had to have mrs. dogfood listen to me and the piano just to make sure the notes are exact.

So the lowest note I can generate E2 while the highest I can squeeze out is D6 with Falsetto starts to take over completely somewhere around C5

My YouTube Channel
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C3-C5, occasionally struggling on the very highest and lowest of that range.

...I have no idea if that's good or not.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Bandaddy  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogfoodnyc wrote:
woozerkristen wrote:

Agreed. I caught myself doing the entire test run on that key one octave higher. I had to have mrs. dogfood listen to me and the piano just to make sure the notes are exact.

So the lowest note I can generate E2 while the highest I can squeeze out is D6 with Falsetto starts to take over completely somewhere around C5

I tried that with Mrs. Bandaddy, but she doesn't have a good ear for it, either. I'm still trying to figure out how to use the Anvil Studio (it's free, btw) that Mischlings mentioned, to see if I can get actual feedback.
Fyacin  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are people finding the ranges for these songs?
woozerkristen  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzepish wrote:
Also, people are posting their falsetto ranges as well. The sum of the two ranges will make their range appear larger than it is, whereas the 2 octave average cited probably isn't considering falsetto, because it's such a different beast (for example, my lowest note in falsetto is higher than my highest note in my normal voice, so there are blank spots in between that I cannot hit).

Wow, I'd never considered that there could be a blank spot between chest voice and falsetto, but that makes a lot of sense. Mine actually overlaps on a few notes. I hate how I sound singing songs that ride the border there (like the chorus of Almost Easy) because my voice sounds better when I don't falsetto, but trying to reach the highest of the notes in my chest voice, I often fail (not the song, but at hitting the notes accurately ) and it sounds awful.

I got bored waiting for students to finish some work, so here's that keyboard with what I can hit marked. I wanted to know which of Kawigi's descriptions best fit my range, and this seemed like the easiest way to figure it out.

The green note is one that I *can* hit but have to be very intentional about. Blue is chest voice, no straining involved, pink is falsetto only, and purple is that area of overlap where I can either falsetto or sing in my chest voice.

I think my range is actually a tad lower than the typical alto range now that I really look at it. And I'm not sure how it works, like whether you count it as your range if you're having to falsetto. Can girls be sopranos and sing that high without having to falsetto? I've never had any sort of vocal training so I'm not sure how that works.

@Fyacin -- I think people are just going with their experiences with the songs, but I could be wrong.

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
sentimentalgeek  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woozerkristen wrote:
I think my range is actually a tad lower than the typical alto range now that I really look at it. And I'm not sure how it works, like whether you count it as your range if you're having to falsetto. Can girls be sopranos and sing that high without having to falsetto? I've never had any sort of vocal training so I'm not sure how that works.

@Fyacin -- I think people are just going with their experiences with the songs, but I could be wrong.

Honestly the falsetto thing for women is something I don't quite understand either. I've also heard some people talk about "head voice" versus "chest voice," and I don't quite understand if head voice is the same as falsetto? Wikipedia seems to suggest this is the case according to some.

I've never been formally instructed so my personal assessment may be inaccurate, but I think my falsetto range overlaps most of my chest range. But around A4, give or take a note, is where I absolutely have to switch over.

Fyacin - depends on what you're talking about. Most people are just listing songs that they feel the most comfortable singing, and that express their most comfortable range. If you're asking how people know that the high note in Painkiller is an A or whatever, the answer is that people with an excellent sense of pitch and musical knowledge are often able to identify notes by sound. I personally can't do that but I can keep the memory of the note in my mind and then play around with a keyboard until I figure out what note it is.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: SG Lammy
Mischlings  

Location: The state of Confusion (aka Michigan (Ann Arbor, if you want to get specific))

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandaddy wrote:
dogfoodnyc wrote:
woozerkristen wrote:

I tried that with Mrs. Bandaddy, but she doesn't have a good ear for it, either. I'm still trying to figure out how to use the Anvil Studio (it's free, btw) that Mischlings mentioned, to see if I can get actual feedback.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5872/anvilstudiopitchgi2.png

I posted just the link because it's a large image, but click on that button (circled in black) then sing into the microphone as high as you can go and as low as you can go.

My YouTube account

Playing:
Rock Band 2
Pokemon Diamond (Friend Code: 2622 6465 1998)
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
A million Super Mario World Rom Hacks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: