FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rapid-Fire Voxtar Rivalry- Total FC's through 6 weeks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nillacocajola  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule set looks good so far, I'm glad we came to such a quick consensus on that.

When we come to songs that we cannot pass, I'm curious: what would the "percentage done" method do? Not trying to be rude or anything, but I'm really just wondering how it would affect weekly scores, etc.?

Oak's pathing comment does hold true - while I haven't "formally" pathed anything yet (looking at a set of charts and setting activation points), I have played through several of the songs and have a pretty good idea as to activation placements on particular songs. That's a significant score advantage on my part, but I'm not quite sure what can be done about it other than the once-weekly DLC.

I'm in favor of that notion, as well. The 20 freebies would honestly be more convenient than anything else, IMO, since most RB2 players have them by now, and if not they shouldn't be difficult to obtain. However, I have a good amount of DLC and wouldn't mind using just about any song (I have 223, with all intentions to buy more when I have the money). Still, I'd prefer the 20 free songs, but that may just be me. No objections to any decisions made there.

As for RB1 songs, I'm a bit burnt out on those myself, and the experience advantage is likely more dominant there than in RB2's setlist or the DLC. I'd prefer not to use the RB1 songs, but again, no objections made to any particular decision.

Thanks. Looking forward to Sunday.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: nillacocajola
sentimentalgeek  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo! Quickly chiming in while I'm at the mall near my parents' house with free wifi (yes, I have no life).

I'd prefer not to include RB1 songs since I'm a bit tired of them and people have had more opportunity to practice/path them, as others have noted. And I'm a bit tired of them as well - they come up enough during mystery setlists that I haven't really started to miss them yet, haha.

Everything else sounds fine. Final thought I had is whether we want to try to lay down any rules for how songs are selected each week? I know that during the leagues, if there are 4 songs per week, they usually try to have 1 easy song, 2 moderate songs, and 1 difficult song. Just to make sure each week is kind of balanced and they're able to get a good gradation of results.

Should we do something similar? Like have easy song due Monday - moderate songs due Tuesday/Weds - difficult song due Thursday - 20 Free/DLC due Friday? Or is this introducing way too much unnecessary structure? Honestly I think random songs will probably be fine. But thought I'd throw this thought out there in case others think it would be better.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: SG Lammy
socialskills  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like SG's idea about controlling the difficulty of the songs. Here's an idea: split the 83 songs into 4 groups (three of 21, one group of 20) and then pick randomly from the first group on Monday, 2nd group on Tuesday, etc. Then on Friday we pick any of the 20 free songs.

Also, it seems like there's a consensus for eliminating RB1 songs from contention, so let's go ahead and make that official.

Lastly, we haven't talked much about the release time for the song list every week. I know that the point of the rapid-fire rivalry was to give everyone only one day to work on songs, but how about we release the list at... oh, say 5:00pm Pacific time every Sunday afternoon? I won't be awake to release the list at midnight on Sunday night, and releasing it at 9pm or so Pacific time seems unfair. What does everyone think about this?

EDIT: Oops, forgot a few things. nilla, your question about percentages is a good one. It doesn't mean much unless everyone can't pass the song. I think, though, for this rivalry (and contrary to what I posted earlier), it may be a better idea to allow open difficulty so that no one gets put into the uncomfortable situation of having to post a percentage.

Secondly, the ideas I have for "awarding victories" are:

WEEKLY: Highest Total Score, Most FC's (guitar and vocals count as separate FC's), Highest Single Score (for one song), and Most Dominant Victory (largest winning margin between 1st and 2nd place; not awarded on a per song basis, just the highest margin across all songs)

I didn't include Most Double FC's because of the spirit of this rivalry, or Most Songs Won because there's a good chance that it'll be anywhere from a two- to five-way tie every week between anywhere from two to five people.

ALL-TIME: Same as the prizes awarded weekly, but including Most Songs Won.

We also have to think about how long this rivalry is going to go on. Even though we don't have dates in late December and beyond, it'll be helpful to settle on a number of weeks before the rivalry starts. I don't have any personal preference on this, so do other people want to just throw out numbers?
- All 3,255 RB1 BWT stars collected (solo, voxtar, expert)

Voxtar guide.

Last edited by socialskills on Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
twistedoak  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go with whatever you guys want. I'm sure you're all going to kick my ass in voxtar, but I'll have fun anyway with the competition!

Also, thank you for not including the rockband 1 songs. I would be a happy camper not to play those again...

Also, I do have one question.

If you release the list at 5 pm on Sunday, when would the first song be due? Monday at midnight, or 5 pm on Monday?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twistedoak wrote:
If you release the list at 5 pm on Sunday, when would the first song be due? Monday at midnight, or 5 pm on Monday?

I think midnight on Monday night would be the best way to go, to keep it simple and consistent. Because this is a casual rivalry I don't think we should get too hung up on the deadlines (for instance if someone sends in their score a half hour late I personally don't think it would be grounds for disqualification for that song). Of course, any dissenting opinions are welcome.

Voxtar guide.
qirex  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

socialskills wrote:
Then on Friday we pick any of the 20 free songs.

I propose adding one thing to the mix, for "funsies"

For any weeks where we get a new free DLC track (such as next week's abomination), I'd like to include a true voxtar sightread in this as a 'bonus song'.

It wouldn't have to be due on any special day - just sometime 'soon' when you have a spare 10 minutes.

if nobody else wants to do this, i'm cool with that. I just like stupid things.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated OP to reflect rules that have been agreed upon.

The one glaring piece of information that we don't have is how many weeks the rivalry should go on for. I feel like 5 or 6 weeks should be enough; anyone else have thoughts on that?

I like qirex's idea of submitting sightread scores for any free songs that happen to come out during the rivalry period. To clarify what I think he means, it sounds like this would be an optional song that would not count in any way towards the "scoring" of the league. If that's what it means, I'm totally on board with it. It's works out well as just a fun thing to do since all of us voxtarists are already in the same place comparing our scores.

Voxtar guide.
nillacocajola  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of getting sightread scores for new free DLC sounds awesome. It could definitely make this week's release more interesting.

As for the length of the rivalry, I'd rather keep it open as long as everyone's having fun with it (or everyone who would like to participate for an extended length of time). Of course, the rapid-fire format is pretty brutal, but changing the format after any length of time would be preferable for a long-standing rivalry.

This may just be me - but, I'd like to at least wrap up the setlist and have scores in for almost every song. Again, though, if no one else wants to continue the rivalry after so many weeks, it wouldn't bother me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: nillacocajola
SilverSwift  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all looks good to me- I'd also prefer an open-ended rivalry, but perhaps we can play for the next three weeks, take a break for the Christmas week (and possibly the one after), and see how we all feel at that point? Also, one other thing I'd like to clarify is the time that the songs will be due in by- is it going to be 5PM Pacific, each day? (I've got no issue with that if so, just wanting to clarify!)

emptyset wrote:
I should ban you all and never look back.
nillacocajola  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverSwift wrote:
This is all looks good to me- I'd also prefer an open-ended rivalry, but perhaps we can play for the next three weeks, take a break for the Christmas week (and possibly the one after), and see how we all feel at that point? Also, one other thing I'd like to clarify is the time that the songs will be due in by- is it going to be 5PM Pacific, each day? (I've got no issue with that if so, just wanting to clarify!)

Nah, the scores are due by midnight in each player's individual time zone. So, midnight in your time zone.
socialskills  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nillacocajola wrote:
SilverSwift wrote:

Nah, the scores are due by midnight in each player's individual time zone. So, midnight in your time zone.

Yeah, sorry about not adding that to the OP. I'll do that now

EDIT:

nillacocajola wrote:
As for the length of the rivalry, I'd rather keep it open as long as everyone's having fun with it (or everyone who would like to participate for an extended length of time). Of course, the rapid-fire format is pretty brutal, but changing the format after any length of time would be preferable for a long-standing rivalry.

This may just be me - but, I'd like to at least wrap up the setlist and have scores in for almost every song. Again, though, if no one else wants to continue the rivalry after so many weeks, it wouldn't bother me.

I like the sound of that, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to commit so much time to the rivalry (not just running it and updating the post, etc.; even participating may be a problem at some point).

Maybe a compromise would be to say that the rivalry can run for 6 weeks, and then we'll evaluate everyones' desired level of participation at that point, as well as hand out awards for the first "season" of the rivalry. Then, if enough people are still interested and everyone has time, we can continue on. How does that sound?

Voxtar guide.
twistedoak  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

socialskills wrote:
Maybe a compromise would be to say that the rivalry can run for 6 weeks, and then we'll evaluate everyones' desired level of participation at that point, as well as hand out awards for the first "season" of the rivalry. Then, if enough people are still interested and everyone has time, we can continue on. How does that sound?

Sounds perfect. Can't wait to start today!

This rivalry has rekindled my voxtar interest. I was forced to do voxtar for rockband 1 and really enjoyed it. Rockband 2 can be done solo, so there was no need for voxtar. Sort of exciting to continue the voxtar trend. Thanks for inviting me again!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 1 songs have been posted. Good luck to all!

EDIT: I added this to the OP, but I just want to be clear about it. Scores should be submitted to me via PM. I promise not to open any until after my scores are final. Please include percentages and streaks for both guitar and vox. Thanks.

Voxtar guide.
qirex  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rapid-Fire Voxtar Rivalry! Reply with quote

socialskills wrote:

Week 1 Songs
Tuesday, 12/2 - The Middle

Protip: (which you'll probably figure out/remember after playing the song a couple times anyhow)
The Middle has a shitty vocal activation window - you have to WOO much earlier than you think to activate.

Also if anybody can combo the solo while hitting the tambourines, you're my hero(ine).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rapid-Fire Voxtar Rivalry! Reply with quote

qirex wrote:
Also if anybody can combo the solo while hitting the tambourines, you're my hero(ine).

I accept said challenge. After looking at the tambo arrangement, it looks pretty tough.

Looks like an interesting week, "Like a Fool" and "Rock'n Me" would be pretty cool Double-FCs. And I finally get to match my wits against Miranda Cosgrove. Oh, joyous day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Rivalries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 2 of 21

Jump to: