FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Discuss: ScoreHero Moderation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextlevel88  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the over-moderation. I appreciate what the mods here do, and I know that one of the reasons this is such a huge fansite with developer input is because it's so well maintained. But a lot of potentially good discussion gets cut off far too quickly while intellectually engaging comments like these get to stay:
killzonedout wrote:
SantoOs92 wrote:
I CAME.

TWICE.

I mean, really? I'm not prude, and saying that was kind of funny -kind of- two years ago when someone wrote it in one of the first DLC threads. But really...?

The 'No Parts' thread spun way off topic (as has this one), but in doing so provided one of the better, smarter, and least fanboy-ish discussions about features between GH5 and Rock Band that I've ever been apart of. And had that discussion been a topic all its own, I think it would've been locked as flame-bait. Perhaps this discussion should be in its own thread in the Website Discussion forum, cuz this thread has almost been completely derailed.

My attempt to get it back on track : I could never get into their show, but their songs are good. Not sure how well they'd translate to Rock Band, but here's hoping...
Fedora  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockband.scorehero.com is dead.

Long live rockband.scorehero.com

The original Rock Band career bassist.
Former DJ Hero player for vVv.
Fedora  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean

we're out of new items discovered and found
we've ground every potential topic into the ground
there isn't a discussion at this point original
so at some point we despair and send out the signal

that every new post must be made to conform
to the few superthreads that have become the norm
and I ask several times what has happened to thee
and the once-prolific rockband forum creativity

But at this point we've exhausted the details
by documenting the result of every plunk, thunk, and wail
so we sit here and argue about topics abstract
and a dozen sticky threads won't bring originality back.

So we sit and we wait and we oft contemplate
That the glory forum days will not return to sedate
our growing distaste for repeated topics at hand
and watch as the forum stays lifeless and bland.

The original Rock Band career bassist.
Former DJ Hero player for vVv.
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to add my personal opinion here. This in no way reflects any other opinions on the staff and is solely mine. Rewind a couple months to a time when, admittedly, moderation was very slow. Topics started getting out of hand and people started complaining that a bunch of crap was getting through. There were a small group of users that enjoyed this freedom, and absolutely hated when we cracked down and did our jobs at keeping these forums looking somewhat clean and orderly. Now, those same people that were complaining are coming back now, saying we are effectively being too harsh in our methods.

Do I really want to point each and every single post in a different direction or cut it off? No. But at the same time, I don't want to have to look through seven different threads going off about different DLC rumors where conversation is eventually bound to cross over and the idea of having different threads set in the first place is completely pointless. I don't want to have to moderate a wishlist thread for each and every member of this forum. I don't want to have to look through each of these threads and make sure that nobody's going off on each other about musical tastes. The reason I prefer to pinpoint shit down to a different area is quite simple; it keeps conversations thread hijacked free and on the track where they're supposed to go. Take this very thread for example. There's been...what, 4 or 5 actual posts relating to the OP of this thread? And the rest of you guys are complaining about how the moderation is too strict and needs to loosen up and let these conversations happen? How much sense does that honestly make?

Not only am I being told by a group of the community that I'm not doing my job right, but I'm also just expected to leave this conversation here and let it go on. We have well over 400,000 members on this site. Even if you want to estimate that half of them joined and haven't done anything, that's still looking at 200,000 people that need to be kept an eye on...by roughly the 25 moderators that we actually have. If you count in the moderators that actually are even around and active still, that number shrinks to about...oh...6 or 7. For convenience's sake, though, let's round that up to ten. 10:200,000. For every one active moderator we have, we have 20,000 users to keep an eye on. Obviously, not all 20k people are going to be acting up, but in the event that one does, we need to be over that right away or you guys attack us for not doing our jobs right. This includes moderating leaderboards, every forum (and pretty much every thread of every forum), custom songs queue, technical difficulties, IRC, etc. I'm sorry if pointing people in the right direction for where we have conversation set up specifically for that is deemed an abuse of power or whatever, but I'm going to take a break when I can get one. We have that official topic set up for a reason. Is it the most orderly thing in the world? No. When the eventual SH rewrite gets its motors going again, it should fix it. Until then, these are the tools I'm given, so I'm using them to keep the forums more clean.

...Now. If you'd like to take this up with me personally, PM me and I'll be happy to oblige. If you really feel this needs its own topic, go make one in Website Discussion. For now, can you please go somewhat back on track and talk about FotC in RB, even though this really SHOULD be going into the DLC rumors thread?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second what Hylian is saying here.

I'm new to moderating here, and I honestly had no idea how constant attention has to be paid to this site. Perhaps I'm biased, because when I was just a regular site user, I was one of the ones who appreciated the site being moderated as well as it is, but now that I'm on the other side, I have a lot more respect for the work that goes into keeping it that way. Maybe you don't like the fact that there are few active threads at a time, but from our standpoint, that greatly cuts down on how much we have to keep up with. Want there to be some more threads? Think of something new and interesting to discuss.

Beyond that, I think Hylian has said it all.

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
Carungi  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HylianHero wrote:
For now, can you please go somewhat back on track and talk about FotC in RB, even though this really SHOULD be going into the DLC rumors thread?

My apologies Hylian. I figured that if the thread didn't have enough information to warrant it's own topic, it would be locked or deleted. I never thought that it would start a discussion that pertains to SH forum ethics
killzonedout  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fedora wrote:
I mean

Make the sig limit size exactly that large, guys.

I love you, Fedora. Have my babies. Now.
elmarko  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fedora wrote:
I mean

That sounds an awful lot like a poll to me.

I think mods just need to use some common sense when it comes to over moderation. I don't even look at the rumors thread anymore because it is really hard to find anything. Maybe if new rumors were added to the bottom of the list at the first of the page it would be fine but i can never find anything and have to resort to reading through 15 pages of posts in reverse to try to find what i have been looking for.

I really don't see any problem in having a new thread for something like this one. As long as it is from a half credible source. It beats looking through an 80 page thread that most people are afraid to even look at. If it's not a relevant thread and nobody cares about it it will slip off to the second or third page of the main forum into obscurity after a week anyways.
espher  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elmarko wrote:
I don't even look at the rumors thread anymore because it is really hard to find anything. Maybe if new rumors were added to the bottom of the list at the first of the page it would be fine but i can never find anything and have to resort to reading through 15 pages of posts in reverse to try to find what i have been looking for.

From my experience, they are.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EspherM ICQ Number
mct  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elmarko wrote:
I think mods just need to use some common sense when it comes to over moderation. I don't even look at the rumors thread anymore because it is really hard to find anything. Maybe if new rumors were added to the bottom of the list at the first of the page it would be fine but i can never find anything and have to resort to reading through 15 pages of posts in reverse to try to find what i have been looking for.

The thing is that if all this info is in one thread, then there is no discussion in a discussion forum. Honestly, they should just ditch the whole forum format and use the wiki if all we have is compilation threads with little/no discussion on each of the relevant topics.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: little jerry12
IWillKickU  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fedora wrote:
A Poem

I'm sorry Fedora, but doesn't this belong in the official "Poetry and/or rap songs about the moderation and maintenance of Scorehero thread"?

Hylian wrote:
A well thought out response to the abstract discussion in this thread"

I'm sorry Hylian, but doesn't this belong in the official "Moderators responses to questions and complaints of the users thread"?

Woozerkristen wrote:
Agreeing with Hylian

I'm sorry Kristen, doesn't this belong in the official "Moderators agreeing with each other thread"?

Obviously, the answer to all of our problems is more official threads for us to redirect each other to.

Oh shit, this post should have been in the official "Users Directing each other to different threads thread". How embarrassing.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: IWi11KickU
HylianHero  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWillKickU wrote:
I'm sorry Fedora, but doesn't this belong in the official "Poetry and/or rap songs about the moderation and maintenance of Scorehero thread"? I'm sorry Hylian, but doesn't this belong in the official "Moderators responses to questions and complaints of the users thread"? I'm sorry Kristen, doesn't this belong in the official "Moderators agreeing with each other thread"? Obviously, the answer to all of our problems is more official threads for us to redirect each other to.

Oh shit, this post should have been in the official "Users Directing each other to different threads thread". How embarrassing.

...It is times like this that I have to edit my post about four times before actually posting and just say....no. Different moderation styles bear way to different moderation tactics, which leads to a different style of forum. Is it the most efficient method? No. Does it work for the time being? Technically, but nobody's happy with it. We're working on making it more accessible for moderators and users alike, but until then, it'd be in everyone's best interest if you could please keep your snarky comments to yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no clue how this turned into a debate on moderation tactics..

Where did anyone here say that we had a problem with this topic being created? Because I certainly don't, and I think everyone is blowing our stance on this way out of proportion.

The only truly "official" topics designed to collect information are those either stickied or created by a SH staff member - of which the "Rumors thread" is neither. We certainly don't want to see topics created claiming "so-and-so on gamefaqs posted that his brother's friend's father said __". But if there's an arguably reputable source of something GH/RB related that people want to discuss, by all means a new topic is perfectly fine and expected!

The existence of a congregate thread (unless "official" - i.e. stickied or created by a staff member), should never restrict any discussion topics from being created that are otherwise acceptable on the site. This means there can be both congregate threads (with OP updated by users) and specific-topic threads for major points inside with similar discussions taking place - and there's nothing wrong with that. In fact the topic creator could help to further organize things by providing links to other discussion threads in his OP; though the wiki is usually a better choice for such things.

The intention behind the actual "official" catch-all topics are to collect information that is interesting to read, but doesn't warrant discussion/replies to every post within the topic. For example, we want people to have a place to introduce themselves and see who's joining the community, but it's not necessary to have a dozen "Welcome" posts following each introduction. The occasional few are still fine.

All of our rules are designed with the intention of maintaining an above average signal-to-noise ratio while keeping the forums structure simple and easy to use. The alternatives are to go down the road of other large site communities and:
  1. Create many forums unnecessarily segmenting overlapping ideas; or
  2. Allow many topics to be created without much discussion taking place, and regardless of similarity with many other topics.

In response to #1, I feel that ScoreHero is unique in such a way that separates its forums into categories of thought rather than material things. That is, we don't automatically create separate forums for every GH and RB game title - instead we bring together the common types of thoughts (Technique, Software, Hardware, Misc, etc.) which are very often applicable across many games and have little overlap with one another. This makes it easy to follow what's going on across the entire series and provoke discussion from a larger audience without having to check many areas that would otherwise receive little attention. Of course there's the occasional instance where categories of thought do align with specific games (e.g. the RBU sub-forum was created in TSG because technique thoughts from the other areas do not apply; and there's "Other Music Games" as well).

To accomplish that idea-centric goal, it would be overwhelming to browse topics if we went the route of #2 with no effort to maintain organization within each of the few/simplistic forums. As a result, each forum generally ends up with its own set of guidelines and stickies designed to cut down the noise and promote the signal.

That's been the philosophy behind the ScoreHero forums structure from day one. If you disagree with its goal or the reasoning for the policies in place to maintain that goal, then let me know. Maybe you feel the line between signal and noise should be drawn elsewhere? Explain.

Ultimately we're here to provide you all with a fun and useful community site. We love these games as much as anyone and it's not in our interest to always be looking down and enforcing rules if the majority of the community no longer shares the same vision.

Because I am open to discussion on this, I've split most of the topic off to here where it belongs, and left the original topic where it belongs (which can now hopefully get back on track). I hope now that this has its own topic we can respect one another and offer on-topic feedback without the sarcastic remarks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCirri wrote:
That's been the philosophy behind the ScoreHero forums structure from day one. If you disagree with its goal or the reasoning for the policies in place to maintain that goal, then let me know. Maybe you feel the line between signal and noise should be drawn elsewhere? Explain.

Ultimately we're here to provide you all with a fun and useful community site. We love these games as much as anyone and it's not in our interest to always be looking down and enforcing rules if the majority of the community no longer shares the same vision.

Arent these the two main points that all members should be looking at and considering. There has never been a member that i have seen get shot down with any type of issue they have had with the site ever. No matter if they have been here 2 years or 2 weeks and this topic is a perfect example, Im a member at other forum's that dont allow this type of discussion, we should be happy that we can all talk about things in a civilized manner and be respectful to each other given each persons point of view.

Maybe its because I think im older then the average age of the members of SH, but the over moderation is something that i personally have never seen. Im not trying to get in favor with any staff here, its just my opinion. Im an semi-active member of a hockey website (hfboards.com) and as much as I love the site, the need for "harsher" moderation is needed in droves there. While we still get the "I came", and "dumb pictures posts" from people here, its not as much as what it was and what its like everywhere else. As far as Ive seen, the moderation has actually been more lenient then during the days when Riz and Matt and DGP were at the helm. Was it bad then, no and its not now. I see Ouzo and Sully flying around everywhere on the site and at least they continue to do whats needed (along with the rest of the staff and regular members alike).

I think that the members have to realize that alot of what the staff does, isnt seen to us and thats the way it should be. These multi-topic thread's are there to make it easier for the staff to be able to moderate it so i personally dont see the problem. Im not going to say i havent seen instances where threads that have been locked, should have stayed open but for the most part arent things ideal?

Go to alot of other very very popular forum's and look at the lack of moderation and compare it to SH. its puts it all in perspective. As long as members can bring about a consistent mature level of posting (and thinking), then there is always different things to discuss.
nextlevel88  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said in my previous post here, what the moderators do is important. I've been a member here for a long time (Joined: 11 Apr 2006), and only for the forums, I never bothered with the score tracking.

So, why do I bother coming here if I don't use the score tracking? Surely I can find all the info that I get from these forums on the official Rock Band forums, right? Probably, but everything is just easier to read here. Things are just run better here. Part of that is because the community is smaller, but most of it is because of the moderation. We get direct input from the development staff from both games, and they get direct input from us, all without having to step foot on the official forums. That alone speaks volumes to me about how well the website is run.

That being said, sometimes I think threads are locked too quickly, even if they have nothing to do with the congregate threads. Most notably to me are the 'question-answer-lock' threads. I know we want the main page kept clean, but often times people are scolded for not making use of the search feature. I've tried to use the search feature to get my questions answered. If you don't use the exact same vocabulary as the Original Poster of the question, forget it; you're not finding that thread. If the question gets answered a few times in that thread using more varied terminology with each answer, the odds of that topic not coming up again are much better, thanks to more successful searches. And honestly, how long would last on the front page? A week, maybe two?

This post is getting too long so I'll stop here, but before I do, I just want to say that a lot of the reason the moderation has to be so tough is because of the community itself. As I said in my previous post, I was disappointed that the 'GH5 features in RB3' discussion was cut off in the 'No Parts' post. It was actually a decent discussion and I enjoyed getting the many different opinions on the subjects being discussed. I completely understand why that had to happen; the discussion had nothing to do with the topic anymore. But it certainly couldn't have been a topic on its own. If the moderators had let it go (which I doubt they would have had the topic read "GH5 and RB3"), it would've undoubtedly spiraled into fanboy drivel. That's not the mod's fault, that's the community's.

To close this off:
1. Mods, keep up the good work, but
2. Don't be afraid to let us go off and BS once in a while. Good things may come of it. Maybe. Well, probably not, but it might surprise you...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: