FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What's your range?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shvegait  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: What's your range? Reply with quote

Been thinking about this for a while, and haven't seen a thread dedicated to it -- recent conversation from this thread.

I hope this doesn't count as a poll thread, as it's not opinion-based.

If you're not sure of your range, check this site and see what the lowest and highest pitches you can sing are.

For format, this notation is pretty easy to enter in plain text, rather than the note names on that site.

You can separate falsetto out of your range, if you know it, or don't include it if you don't use falsetto.

I'll start. I never considered myself as having a low voice, and it took me a long time to actually realize that I was singing most songs an octave below the original singer.

My range is basically E2 to E4 (pretty small, I gather). I can sing up to G4 or so but it becomes painful after a while so I generally shift down for notes that high. I'm not sure about my falsetto range, as I hardly ever use it, except when the singer does, like in Creep. I sing nearly every song shifted down an octave, but for many songs I have to switch back to the original octave if there are notes lower than E3. Fortunately there are many songs that have E3 as their lowest note for some reason...

One of the most difficult songs for my range is Epic (D3 to G4, so I have to constantly shift octaves to hit anything reliably). The most atrocious song for me to sing is Snow ((Hey Oh)). It's just high enough that it takes a toll on my voice to sing that long song in the original octave, but sounds absolutely horrible an octave lower... lots of switching there. Most female vocals are extremely easy for me, since I can just about sing them all an octave lower and never have to shift. My control of my lower notes isn't the best, and they don't always register clearly enough, so sometimes I'll switch octaves for one note to ensure an Awesome.

The songs that best represent my range are I Get By, In Bloom, and March of the Pigs. Those all go just a little high for me to be comfortable singing them all the way through. Realistically, my very comfortable range is more like Cool for Cats.

So... what's your range? What songs are most natural or difficult for you, in terms of execution?

Bladder of Steel/Platinum Artist - 2/15/09
internetguy87  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this probably is due to the fact I have never taken a music class in my life. Never played an instrument in my life (until RBdrums if you wanna call them that lol). I barely know what music notes are.

But how the hell are you supposed to sing a note on a piano =-\. I have no idea how to use this thing lol.

I play my game online
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: internetguy87
adzicents  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A1 to F4 in chest voice

F4 to A5 in falsetto

I have what's considered quite a deep range really, although I only have 2 1/2 octaves <_<
[*] YouTube Page.
[*] Rock Band Accomplishments Thread.
[*] RB2 Drum Scores / 50/84 Drums FCs
[*] RB2 Vocals Scores / 60/84 Vox FCs
[*] 11 Million Rock Band 1 Drums!
Icemage  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, adzicents and I just had this discussion.

B1 to E4 in chest voice. E3 to F5 in falsetto (might actually have a bit more range on the low end of my falsetto, but E3 is the lowest note I can produce on demand).

Songs that fit perfectly into my range include Volcano, Celebrity Skin, Interstate Love Song, Cool For Cats. Basically anything lower than the norm I can hit pretty effortlessly.

Last edited by Icemage on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Grinnz  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My regular range seems to be from about C2 to D4, but only comfortably from G2 to B3. My falsetto goes from E3 up to A5 pretty comfortably, and comes out best above C4 or so.

so, the best songs for my regular range are like Teen Age Riot, Cool for Cats, and Blood Doll. Rob the Prez-o-Dent goes almost too low for comfort (and/or for the mic to pick up). Shackler's Revenge is pretty good for my falsetto after the opening, but the opening in its original octave is too low for the mic to pick up, whether because of my mic or because my voice doesn't produce a clear pitch that low.

Some of the worst songs for my range: Nine in the Afternoon; almost all of the pitches are in my regular range, but almost every phrase has a pitch that I have to falsetto, so I can't comfortably sing the song unless I do it all in falsetto, which sounds horrible because it's so low. Also, I really enjoy singing Shooting Star, but the verses are right where it starts to get a little uncomfortable halfway through the song, and the choruses constantly go into my falsetto.

@ internetguy: Play a note and try to match the pitch.

Last edited by Grinnz on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:11 am; edited 2 times in total
woozerkristen  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit of a stretch on the low end for me, but I can hit c (lower case), getting more comfortable at d and e, on up to g1, and I have to switch to falsetto at a1 (though occasionally I can squeeze a note or two higher in under my chest voice). I'm pretty much tapped out on falsetto range at e2.

I think I probably have a lower range (though probably not wider) than a lot of the female vocalists here, but I could be wrong. Sentimentalgeek is pretty much the only female vocalist whose voice I've heard, but her range seems a bit higher than mine. I know from conversations with Mayra, her range is much higher than mine.

As far as songs, Offspring songs I have to falsetto, along with stuff like the chorus of Almost Easy. Driving in the car today I realized I can sing all of Our Truth down an octave from the original singer, along with in the same octave (though I have to falsetto the chorus).

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
Grinnz  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: What's your range? Reply with quote

woozerkristen:
Shvegait wrote:
For format, this notation is pretty easy to enter in plain text, rather than the note names on that site.

With that notation, your range goes down to C3, falsetto at A4, up to E5
Sax  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're supposed to sing with your chest? >_>
Billtvshow  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the piano notation, with v for the low number and ^ for the other.

Chest: Gv1 (Can hit Gbv1, but it's very unnatural and hard to do) up to around b^1 on the other side, though it's not pretty.

Falsetto: B to b^2 in normal comfort, though I can actually hit every note to the end of the chart, just not immediately on demand as would be required in a song, very little control that high.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chest: F sharp - C2
Falsetto: I don't feel like I can accurately judge this, because I can definitely hit every note on the chart falsetto.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From F2 to D4 without going into falsetto. B4-G6 in falsetto. Fun to try out even though I only play vocals for fun

Last edited by eiirish on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
WhYYZ  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

internetguy87 wrote:
So this probably is due to the fact I have never taken a music class in my life. Never played an instrument in my life (until RBdrums if you wanna call them that lol). I barely know what music notes are.

But how the hell are you supposed to sing a note on a piano =-\. I have no idea how to use this thing lol.

This, HELP please?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
Hah, adzicents and I just had this discussion.

B1 to E4 in chest voice. E3 to F5 in falsetto (might actually have a bit more range on the low end of my falsetto, but E3 is the lowest note I can produce on demand).

Songs that fit perfectly into my range include Volcano, Celebrity Skin, Interstate Love Song, Cool For Cats. Basically anything lower than the norm I can hit pretty effortlessly.

I have a pretty similar range (You can go a bit lower than me, I have a bit more on my upper falsetto, though not necessarily comfortably).
D#2 to G4 in Chest Voice, G3 to A5 in falsetto (Again, not necessarily comfortably or for an extended period).

I totally agree with Cool for Cats being an ideal song to sing in this range. Not quite as ideal, but a good warm-up song, is Orange Crush as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there just some easy interactive place you can sing "into" that will register your notes? Seems like there would be....if anyone has some time on their hands to search this out.
Grinnz  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For easy translation between the piano notation and Wikipedia's:

Sub contra (*v2): 0
Contra (*v1): 1
Great (capital): 2
Small (lowercase): 3
One-line (*^1): 4
Two-line (*^2): 5
Three-line (*^3): 6
Four-line (*^4): 7
Five-line (*^5): 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: