FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
RB3 vocal mechanics discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JosJuice  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeftrockX3 wrote:
JosJuice wrote:
DPooch wrote:
So I just found out that you can't sing using a headset.

Either that, or there's some kind of option that enables it, but I can't find it.
Doing so has been impossible since TBRB.

I was able to use my headset to sing. I don't know if this is exclusive to the PS3, but I can confirm that it is possible.
Headsets are treated as microphones by the PS3. The standard Xbox Live headsets don't work in this way.
View user's profile Send private message PSN Name: JosJuice Wii Friend Code: 5959909536341960
bclare  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niq24601 wrote:
Icemage wrote:
Why the hell is the phrase marker now in the middle of "submarine" in the bridge of Skullcrusher Mountain?

I played through the song and confirmed that the scoring stops right at the marker, and you get credit for the NEXT phrase for the end of the word...

It's not horrendous, but the shortened phrase ends up with VERY tight scoring for some reason. I missed it twice before I realized what was happening.

Thoughts?

RB1 and RB2 had a "feature" that allowed the note end to occur after the phrase marker, and the engine would do the right thing (put the phrase marker at the end of the note). I found this since it crashed The Rocktimizer the first time I saw it . It appears that this "feature" has been fixed. I think I even saw this happen on on-disc RB3 songs.

I noticed two more songs that did this last night; one of them was even an RB3 on-disk song I think it might have been Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before.
nextlevel88  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm at my wit's end with the overdrive activation stuff. It simply doesn't work. Does anyone have any advice other than "Play in All-Instruments Mode to alleviate frustration?"

I'm using a launch 60GB PS3, and have tried 2 RB1 mics, 2 RB2 mics, a Logitech Headset, and a Turtle Beach Headset. Results are always the same: Making every noise imaginable during every activation phrase will only activate at completely random times; sometimes not at all.

Any help would be appreciated.
woozerkristen  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextlevel88 wrote:
Ok, I'm at my wit's end with the overdrive activation stuff. It simply doesn't work. Does anyone have any advice other than "Play in All-Instruments Mode to alleviate frustration?"

I'm using a launch 60GB PS3, and have tried 2 RB1 mics, 2 RB2 mics, a Logitech Headset, and a Turtle Beach Headset. Results are always the same: Making every noise imaginable during every activation phrase will only activate at completely random times; sometimes not at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've been having pretty good luck with my mic settings. Most aggravations I've experienced have been with trying to record vocal videos.

One thing I did that helped when it seemed like the mic wasn't responsive was to move further from the tv. If it's trying to be "smart" and lower sensitivity when there's more noise, then getting the mic away from the noise of the tv should increase sensitivity. The one time I experienced that issue, moving back solved it.

Also if you are holding a mic, it could be that you are creating noise just from the act of holding it, moving your hand around, etc. If you have a mic stand, that might help, too.

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
nextlevel88  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woozerkristen wrote:

One thing I did that helped when it seemed like the mic wasn't responsive was to move further from the tv. If it's trying to be "smart" and lower sensitivity when there's more noise, then getting the mic away from the noise of the tv should increase sensitivity. The one time I experienced that issue, moving back solved it.

Thanks for the reply.

I do use a stand, but the above could be my problem. My environment just may not be right for what the game is trying to do with the sensitivity. I use 6.1 surround sound, so no matter where I move, the mic is getting blasted with background noise.

Still, if it's able to pick up my voice enough to recognize pitch and earn me the overdrive in the first place, how can it suddenly stop? Unless, during overdrive points when there are no vocals, it drops the sensitivity? And the arrow does appear during those parts, signifying that the mic is picking up something.
Icemage  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to cross-post this from Misc RB Discussion since it pertains to the topic.

I actually figured the 99% vocal FC glitch out a few days ago.

If you use the More Stats at the end of the song you should see several stats, the first of which is Accuracy.

Accuracy is the number of base ticks you earned on phrases in the song. On Expert Vocals, this translates to 1000 points per phrase, no more, no less.

If you miss any ticks here you will end up with 99%. Even if every single section shows 100% (meaning you didn't break combo), losing any ticks anywhere in the song produces the 99% accuracy.

So for instance, a song with 35 phrases will have an optimal Accuracy score of 35000 on Expert Vocals. If you earn only 34986, you'll get 99%, even though every section will show 100%.
bclare  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told you that was it, and you didn't believe me before :p

Icemage wrote:
bclare wrote:
I got a 99% FC on No One Knows. I dropped a tick on the second phrase of the song, so that might be the reason why; the score breakdown displayed my accuracy score ending with 999 and streak 999, so at least it's all consistent. I FCed the song again with 100% so it's not like it's just me on that song or something

This could be the same 99% FC glitch that The Beatles and Green Day exhibit, and if it is, it's not tick-based since I've FC'd songs on both those engines without dropping ticks and still gotten 99%.

First post updated.

flop404  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
Going to cross-post this from Misc RB Discussion since it pertains to the topic.

I actually figured the 99% vocal FC glitch out a few days ago.

If you use the More Stats at the end of the song you should see several stats, the first of which is Accuracy.

Accuracy is the number of base ticks you earned on phrases in the song. On Expert Vocals, this translates to 1000 points per phrase, no more, no less.

If you miss any ticks here you will end up with 99%. Even if every single section shows 100% (meaning you didn't break combo), losing any ticks anywhere in the song produces the 99% accuracy.

So for instance, a song with 35 phrases will have an optimal Accuracy score of 35000 on Expert Vocals. If you earn only 34986, you'll get 99%, even though every section will show 100%.

Alas, it can also happen with a "true" 100% - I hit 32/32 on Proud Mary, with 32000 Accuracy, and still hit 99%

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
I told you that was it, and you didn't believe me before :p

TB:RB and GD:RB both would often give you 99%s even if you didn't have a dropped-tick score though. RB3 hasn't on me (yet?). Every time I've gotten 99% in RB3 I've dropped ticks somewhere in the final screen.

However...
flop404 wrote:
Alas, it can also happen with a "true" 100% - I hit 32/32 on Proud Mary, with 32000 Accuracy, and still hit 99%

This, however, is discouraging. Are you sure about this?
jawnintendo  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
* (contributed by elx) The vocal scoring arrow appears to have problems on some downward slides near the bottom of the HUD. They're scorable, but the arrow does not move. Llama is a prime example. Confirmed on both PS3 and Xbox 360, Wii is unknown at this time.

I can confirm that this is NOT on the Wii version. The arrow moves normally.

In the event of a code red, please do not orgasm over an accomplishment of an elite player. That is because the player is currently in the zone. You will run of out of jizz before he is finished.
Thank you for listening and please save all orgasms for the end of the ride.

Accomplishments | 17/82 Pro Guitar FCs | 70/83 Pro Bass FCs | 55/63 Pro Keys FCs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: jawnintendo
flop404  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:

However...
flop404 wrote:

Yes. Didn't thought about making a screen cap, since I discovered it before coming on Scorehero.
I noticed a "99% FC", then saw I missed some ticks, which seemed logical, and I then started checking every "99% FC" after this. And, on one occasion at least, I noticed I had full accuracy, yet still a 99%.

From what I saw, missing ticks always translates in a 99%, even if you FCed the songs, but on some occasions, even perfect accuracy might cause this.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:

However...
flop404 wrote:

This also happened to me one time. It was a song without squeezes so the score (and my score) ended in 000 or X00 if there were taps (can't remember) so I knew undoubtedly I hadn't dropped any ticks. I just replayed the song to get the 100% to appear on my songs list.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJUCPU wrote:
Icemage wrote:

However...
flop404 wrote:

This also happened to me one time. It was a song without squeezes so the score (and my score) ended in 000 or X00 if there were taps (can't remember) so I knew undoubtedly I hadn't dropped any ticks. I just replayed the song to get the 100% to appear on my songs list.

Yuck. Maybe there's some weird rounding error or "fractions of a tick" happening then. I've had that happen in The Beatles Rock Band before, but was hoping it had been addressed in RB3.

Only theory I can come up with is if you get, say...

999.6 ticks on one phrase = 1000 accuracy points, but maybe the 100% accuracy test is a little too tight and sees that you're missing a fraction of a tick and still gives you 99%?
jawnintendo  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know the "Non Working Talkies" glitch? I don't think it's just random. If I'm playing Harmony Vox, and the Talkies register, the ones on SOLO Vox don't. Vice Versa. The talkies finally "switch" if I go into a song with 3 in a row. The game will recognize that you need to hit them after the third, and will work just fine.

In the event of a code red, please do not orgasm over an accomplishment of an elite player. That is because the player is currently in the zone. You will run of out of jizz before he is finished.
Thank you for listening and please save all orgasms for the end of the ride.

Accomplishments | 17/82 Pro Guitar FCs | 70/83 Pro Bass FCs | 55/63 Pro Keys FCs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: jawnintendo
LucasPWNS8907  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've discovered in many cases that using vibrato, instead of a constant pitch will allow you to do better. it seems like rock band vocals is coming closer to real singing :O by encouraging you to sound less like a robot and more like a human that wants to produce music.
here's an example of vibrato in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nDp5WGriJ4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: LucasPWNS8907 PSN Name: TheyCallMeLucas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: