FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hardware guide for multitasking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qirex  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Hardware guide for multitasking Reply with quote

Thought this would be useful for people who don't already own the equipment, but aren't quite sure what to purchase.

Hardware used for multitasking.

Microphones

Xbox 360 headset

Pros:
you probably already own one

Cons:
Sensitivity can be an issue, as well as delay between when you sing and when the game registers.
-- pmswedge suggests turning the mic sensitivity WAY down (to the first notch) to address sensitivity issues.
plugs into another xbox controller (not your guitar, or your drums), which you'll have to have sitting around next to you.

PS3 bluetooth headset

(no experience - Input from PS3 users?)

USB Microphone
Pros:
if you bought the bundle, you already have one
better quality / sensitivity == better scores

Cons:
need to buy or rig a mic stand

Mic Stand

Options for the financially challenged or impatient:

Tape the mic to a lamp
Hang the mic from a ceiling fan
Tape it to a whiffle ball bat and jam it in your couch cushions

See also: this thread

Not really the best options, but good enough to get started if you're on a budget.

Pros:
Cheap! (the inexpensive definition of cheap)
Cons:
Cheap! (the "I don't get many second dates" definition of cheap)

Straight style Microphone Stand

Pictured above is one with a cast iron base. You can also get one with a folding tripod base.
I prefer the narrower footprint of the cast iron base in a "living room" setting.
In a band setting (on a stage, lugging equipment around) I prefer the increased stability and lighter weight of the tripod stand.

Pros:
easy to attach a beverage holder

you can probably find one for $10-$15 online. ($12.99 online at guitar center 04/09/2008)

Cons:
difficult to get mic placed properly for drumming/singing

boom-style microphone stand

Pictured above is one with a folding tripod-style base. You can also get one with a cast iron base.

Pros:
good for both voxtar and Drumming/singing, since it can be positioned off to the side

Cons:
Tough to attach a beverage holder at an appropriate height, unless the boom is vertical.

Generally a few dollars more than a straight style ($19.99 online at guitar center 04/09/2008)

I'd recommend a "telescoping" boom vs a fixed one, personally, if the price difference is negligible. You get greater flexibility in mic placement, but there *are* more moving parts, so it could potentially break easier. (I've had a cheap one for many years, though.)

and a reminder from socialskills
Note also that it's possible to mix and match stand parts as well. You can purchase a straight-style stand, and later purchase a boom arm individually if you decide you want to add on.

Mic clip

If you've never bought a mic stand before, you might not realize that you also need a clip to attach the microphone to the stand. There are about a billion options, but the main thing you need to know is the size of your microphone. The RockBand mic is about the same size as a standard *wireless* mic, so if the package says "for wireless mics" or "large scale" you should be okay.

I personally have one each of the following, and they are both fine:

They cost between $4 and $10 online.

If you have any questions, comments, corrections, or experience w/ the PS3 headset, speak up.

Last edited by qirex on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
pmswedge  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a tip on the 360 headset - I used to use this to multitask and it helps to turn the sensitivity WAY down. Like, only at the first notch. The mic is already super sensitive, and it will reduce ambient noise being a problem if you turn the sensitivity down. I've been able to FC songs with the 360 headset so it's not really a terrible choice if you're just starting out.

Now I have a boom-style mic stand - works GREAT.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad has a boom mic stand I use, and it works like a charm. I HIGHLY recommend that over anything else. As well as a flexible clip (to make sure your mic fits)

However if you just wanna be cool while you are singing by yourself get the straight mic stand lol

You'll feel like a badass, trust me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
socialskills  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice guide, qirex! i had listed a mic stand as essential equipment in my voxtar guide until i realized that i was just asking for billions of people to add comments showing off their (admittedly great and creative) non-mic stand solutions, which wasn't entirely relevant, so i took it out. i'm glad there's another resource now that discusses it better than i ever could have done

your section on mic stands- and the accompanying photos- may imply that straight style stands can come in the cast iron or tripod base styles but that the boom stand only comes in the tripod base style... as you know, it's possible to to have a round-based boom stand, so maybe it wouldn't hurt to add a clarification?

for the record, what i use is straight style, cast iron base that i later bought a separate boom arm for. it was cheaper for me to buy them separately (ended up being $12 total), but i don't know if that's still the case.
- All 3,255 RB1 BWT stars collected (solo, voxtar, expert)

Voxtar guide.
qirex  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmswedge wrote:
a tip on the 360 headset

socialskills wrote:
... as you know, it's possible to to have a round-based boom stand, so maybe it wouldn't hurt to add a clarification?

for the record, what i use is straight style, cast iron base that i later bought a separate boom arm for. it was cheaper for me to buy them separately (ended up being $12 total), but i don't know if that's still the case.

edited into the OP - thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the PS3 I have been unable to get the Bluetooth headset to register in Rock Band - works fine for other activities on the PS3.

Using a boom mic stand now, works pretty well and I picked it up for $20 on Amazon with a $5 clip.
jonfitzsimon  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the clips came with the mic stand. How gay.
WildcatTennis  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about PS2 headset? it's good

#1 fan for AWG!... I need a life.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger PSN Name: WildcatTennis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: