FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Overall Rock Band 3 Vocal Difficulty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuke39  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Overall Rock Band 3 Vocal Difficulty Reply with quote

I feel like with Rock Band 3's overall change in harmonies, more punishing rock meter, and a certain few added songs, I feel like the difficulty in Rock Band 3 has shot up from Rock Band 2. Don't get me wrong, I know that vocal difficulty is very subjective for many hardcore vocalists and depends on the range of people, but is anyone else feeling that the overall engine feels more difficult? It atleast has the fact that you can fail much faster, yet vocals don't get the unison-only bonuses compared to instruments.

I really just want the community to talk about this within the section, since there's so much focus on the instruments. I've felt like hthe "pie" is much more punishing in terms of filling it up all the way. I've been getting far more "strongs" than ever, and it's harder at times to see how much it filled up, since it's blue on blue. And does anyone find a song easier with harmonies on than going straight solo? Because the pitch correction will shift you to a different harmony without question.

And in terms of songs, I'm just curious if anyone else is having trouble with particular songs.

-Good Vibrations and Bohemian Rhapsody are very worthy of their spots. I feel like Vibrations is much trickier due to the middle and outro, while BoRap has much more annoying octave shifting.
-The Killing Moon feels really hard, due to the number of shifts and constant inflections in the last 2 minutes, that requires memorization.

Speak up, Scorehero!
Icemage  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB3 is definitely harder than RB2, no ifs ands or buts. If anyone thinks otherwise, they aren't playing any of the seriously challenging stuff.

It's easier than RB1, however.

If I had to guess based on a week of playing vocals on-again-off-again with keys in between, I'd say:

Again, these are guesses on my part based on about 15-20 hours of vocals gameplay in the past week

- Vocal pitch lenience feels like 1.3 semitones or so. More than RB1 with its 1.2, less than RB2's with its 1.4. Feels almost exactly like The Beatles Rock Band, actually.

- Pie spinning is slightly but noticeably slower in "bonus" situations like short phrases, slides and sustained notes. That makes it harder to fill the pie since you have a little less lenience to break away from the pitch line, on top of the higher pitch accuracy required.

- There does not appear to be any end-of-phrase bonus in RB3, so if you're way behind on the meter heading into the end of a phrase, you're more likely than not going to break combo.

- Talkies spin much, much slower, and are absolutely rock solid reliable in RB3 as long as your sensitivity isn't bolloxed by the auto-sensitivity "feature". I took several of the most notorious broken talky songs for a spin a last night. Inside Out, One Way or Another, and Cherry Bomb all ended up being 1st attempt FCs. No problems whatsoever.

- Overdrive windows are "more" consistent now (again, as long as auto-sensitivity isn't hosing your input). There are still cases where OD won't trigger reliably, however, typically on small windows, and windows that appear right after earning the 2nd overdrive phrase.

- Vibrato is your friend, as it was in The Beatles Rock Band. It doesn't make the pie spin nearly as extra-fast as TBRB, but it does help you get full credit for being on-key if you would otherwise have been slightly off pitch and only earning partial credit.

All in all, I really like the vocals engine in RB3. It's easily the most playable vocals engine in any game - when it's working. I know non-PS3 players have had nothing but headaches from the auto-sensitivity feature, however.
boss1592  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is how i would rank all the games, from hardest to easiest

Rock band 1
Rock band beatles
Rock band 3
Rock band 2
Rock band lego
Rock band Green day

why does it feel like ive missed 1?

anyway, as i said in a different thread, i think bohemian rhapsody is the hardest non broken on-disk vox song in RB history, and theres a few other very tricky ones as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Starchaser NI
Punkarella  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boss1592 wrote:
why does it feel like ive missed 1?

AC/DC?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: PUNKarel-LA
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
RB3 is definitely harder than RB2, no ifs ands or buts. If anyone thinks otherwise, they aren't playing any of the seriously challenging stuff.
If, and, but!

Recent FCs: Catcher In The Rye, I Got You, Good Vibrations, Somebody To Love, ABC, Real Wild Child, Tangled Up In Blue, Killer Queen, DOIN THAT RAG, Burn (NIN), Bohemian Rhapsody
EDIT: And got Smokin' right after I posted this the first time

Any of those difficult?
I think almost everyone is playing with calibration wrong, and I've found it to be much more important in RB3. Once I get it right, I can nail all kinds of stuff I normally couldn't. I have already FC'd EVERY song that I couldn't FC in RB2.

Last edited by singemfrc on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
woozerkristen  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm having slight calibration issues, but nothing major, and I think the more strict engine is offset by the fact that you can use practice mode and in particular a pitch guide. That, to me, has made this game easier rather than harder than previous ones, primarily because I didn't have the patience to keep replaying songs over and over to get one tricky part.

To me, stricter engine, but easier overall game, vocals-wise.

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
Icemage  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
Icemage wrote:
If, and, but!

Recent FCs: Catcher In The Rye, I Got You, Good Vibrations, Somebody To Love, ABC, Real Wild Child, Tangled Up In Blue, Killer Queen, DOIN THAT RAG, Burn (NIN), Bohemian Rhapsody
EDIT: And got Smokin' right after I posted this the first time

Any of those difficult?
I think almost everyone is playing with calibration wrong, and I've found it to be much more important in RB3. Once I get it right, I can nail all kinds of stuff I normally couldn't. I have already FC'd EVERY song that I couldn't FC in RB2.

Hah. I think part of it is you're just getting better, but honestly the game feels noticeably more pitch-strict than RB2. Either that or the arrow is a lot more accurate and I'm just noticing it more? Hard to say.

Easy songs are still easy, hard songs are still hard. I do notice that calibration does matter more though - so perhaps it's less a pitch tolerance than timing tolerance? I don't hum songs, and I don't sing through open parts of phrases (except to activate overdrive), so maybe it's a timing tolerance thing?
ProffessorJoe  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you factor in vibrato then there is no way to accurately compare this engine to the old engine. They are just so different in the way the pie acts. Personally, i find 81 of these songs to be a bit easier than all of RB2. However, BORAP is quite a bit harder than anything in RB2, and GV is about equivalent to American Woman, which i would say is the hardest song in RB2 (not counting OWOA because its broken). So i guess personally i would say: if you can use some vibrato, RB3 will be much much easier than rb2. If you can't, saddle up for a rough ride
Go there for videos of Over Rated R Us featuring the amazing RJUCPU!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PR0FFESS0RJ0E
twistedoak  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found rb3 to be easier than everything but green day(easiest by far). There were phrases that I should have missed in the earlier engines that I got an awesome on in rb3 solely due to vibrato and such.

Rb1 was harder due to talkies only, and acdc was probably harder than rb3 imo because of acdc's off pitch singing lol. The rest of them are probably close to difficulty with rb3, but that's not saying much.

Cliff notes: I found rb3 to be one of the easiest fgfc so far.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not completing the whole setlist yet, let me give my way too early reasons why RB3 is harder for me.

Just for people who don't know, I believe I am pretty tone deaf, and I play mostly by reading charts, and rarely by listening to the vocalist. This makes what songs I think difficult different from numerous other people.

- The pitch arrow can randomly jump between octaves mid phrases or during breaks. This makes it very hard for me to keep track where I am on the chart.

- It seems completely random which songs will use the "octave shift" and actually move the vocal window. (First evident in TBRB). Some songs have very long stretches of near monotone pitches with minute differences that don't take advantage of this. This makes it very tricky to see very small differences in pitch. Granted RB2 doesn't have this at all, but having no idea when the pitch window could "rotate" adds another thing to worry about.

- Lack of end bonus makes it very trick to score well when either of the above instances happen. If it takes you even a short amount of time to find where to start the phrase, it is much harder to awesome that phrase than in previous titles.

Now granted I don't think RB3 is MUCH harder than RB2, but I do think that some game mechanics make it a bit trickier.

I will post a more complete comparison once I finish the FGFC in the next day or 2 hopefully.

I play my game online
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: internetguy87
uSound  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of calibration, what's a good set-up? I know numbers vary from TV to TV but is your vocal calibration often the same as your instrument one? I always feel like I'm singing too late for the game, resulting in a bunch of Strong ratings on things I used to be able to do in RB2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: uSound PSN Name: uSoundSH
Icemage  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uSound wrote:
Speaking of calibration, what's a good set-up? I know numbers vary from TV to TV but is your vocal calibration often the same as your instrument one? I always feel like I'm singing too late for the game, resulting in a bunch of Strong ratings on things I used to be able to do in RB2.

Absolutely not. My vocals audio calibration is a solid +15 to +20 off of what I calibrate on guitar or keyboard. I haven't quite nailed down my optimal on either instrument yet, but it's within 5ms on each. I think it has to do with the microphone setup I'm using, though.

I really wish one of these games would give us instrument-specific calibration fine tuning. Having to constantly mess with my calibrations for scoring is a pain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: