FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Help planning tournament

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamewizard546  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Help planning tournament Reply with quote

Hello, I am thinking about hosting a Rockband tournament to raise money for the local animal shelter that I work at. The main problem with this is with the planning and rules. Does anyone have any ideas for the following Problems/Issues.

1) How should I regulate the difficulty? Should I make it expert only, or have different divisions so there will be a tournament for easy, medium, hard, and expert.
a) If I go with the multiple divisions I will need a way to make sure that people who normally play on expert and do well don't sign up under medium, and beat all the little kids who aren't that good.

2) How will I regulate everything so that everyone is on the same level. If someone plays a short song that is hard, they could be beaten by someone playing an easier long song.
a) I could make everyone play the same song, but then it would be boring for everyone to listen to the same song all day. not to mention that everyones music taste is different so If they got stuck playing a song that they hate, or that one song that they can't do It won't be a succsess.

3) how much should I charge, What would you pay to enter.
a) The prizes will be microsoft point cards.(The amount of points will depend on how many people were to enter.)

4) Different instruments... If I make it a full band tournament, it might be hard to get a lot of full bands to sign up. If I go with single, I would need to have four different divisions again. If I do a draft, were everyone goes in single, and somehow randomly mix them into bands it there would need to be an even number.

5) Other Ideas I have are getting judges (Mayor, policechief, those type people) and give a score based on the bands score, difficulty, and a proformance score.

Anyone have any Ideas, or suggestions for the 4 different questions or if you have any Ideas of your own please post them.
ricecake  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as difficulty goes, the only idea I have is that if you do decide to have different divisions for the different difficulties, then you could offer the better prizes for the higher difficulties. For example (just totally pulling random numbers):

Expert: $20 card
Hard: $15 card
Medium: $10 card
Easy: $5 card

Something like that. This way, if you do have an expert player, he will be more inclined to play on the expert level, since the payoff will be greater.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts, as I've participated in a few tournies of various types.

The tournament at Connecticon has probably the best system for spectators (Whether it's necessarily ideal for the participants, and more specifically, for the Score-at-all-costs crowd that is Scorehero in general, is another matter, though I have a lot of fun with it) that I've participated in so far. How it works is that in each round the judge picks various difficulties (For example's sake, let's say the judge says "Okay, each band will play 3 songs, these songs will have a band difficulty of 0, 1 and 2") that all the bands have to conform to. How they choose to do that is up to the bands--at this point, there are more than enough songs to choose from that every band should be able to find something they like in the given difficulties.

After that, the bands play. The primary scoring factor is number of stars in each song (The exact score number doesn't matter), with GSes being worth 6 and a failure being 0. Then there are bonuses given out for things like band members playing on high difficulties (Expert being worth the most points), high difficulty for the individual instruments, and just rocking out in general, putting on a good show and being entertaining to watch. The "full" version of this ruleset has two aims:

1. Be able to compare "apples-to-apples" without everyone having to play (And watch) the same songs repeatedly--one optional rule of this set is that no two bands can play the same song, in fact.

2. Reward bands who really look like they're having fun while simultanously playing well--under this system, it's perfectly possible (And acceptable) for a band that's a bit rough technically but is having a good time (But not so rough that they fail), engaging the audience, and so on, to beat a band who is FCing songs on Expert left and right but is just staring slack-jawed at the screen with no audience interaction whatsoever (Again, this is the "great for spectators, probably sub-optimal for the hardcore competitors" part).

For full band versus singles, what I'd say is make it a full-band tourney (Or a "all positions filled" tourney, more accurately. If someone wants to try to vox and do something else, that's fine. Hell, if someone wants to try and play all four instruments at the same time, they're welcome to, though the results will probably be predictable). Have a signup for full bands, plus a separate sign up for singles/less-than-full bands where they can be mixed and matched to form full bands. Basically, make every effort to get these people involved too, even though being matched up with/finding a band on the spot isn't the best option, it's better than none at all.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, Emptyeye, you gave me a lot of helpful information. I will keep thinking of everything because the posts above this are the only steps done to get this started. It is still very early in the planning stage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: