FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TD-3 with MIDI adaptor settings help!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandwichriver  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: TD-3 with MIDI adaptor settings help!!!! Reply with quote

So I own a set of Roland TD-3 drums and am having a lot of trouble with them with the MIDI apdaptor for RB2/RB3! (XBOX 360)

I set it up and it was basically unplayable. Cancelling out ever other note. I was getting like 3 stars with 98%-99% notes hit. So I figured it was a double hit problem. I turned the 'mask time' up with the snare and found it made a huge difference. I messed around with some of the other settings like Crosstalk, sensitivity, and some of the other functions but can't get anything just right. I feel crosstalk is NOT an issue. Rather the individual drums. Sometimes they drop and other times they double hit. I mess around with the sensitivity but still get dropped notes once in a while and also double hits. I fell like there are no settings that will work. I have seen some improvement but I was expecting a near flawless experience.

I have been reading around that people have been having this set work perfect right after initial hookup. Is there something wrong with my drums. I feel like there are too sensitive. I am doing very fine tune tweaking of the settings of the TD-3 and can just not get it right. this is just for normal expert drums not even the pro drums. I am ready to pull my hair out. Pretty sure my original stock set with a sock MOD worked better than this. Anyone post suggestions or their personal settings including the sensitivity wheel setting on the adaptor itself. I want like the crosstalk, sensitivity, retrigger cancel, mask time etc. I would praise you if it worked.
davidshek  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sensitivity wheel on the MIDI Pro should be turned all the way up. As far as your "messing around" with the settings on your TD-3, I'd recommend doing the following:

1) Reset the TD-3 to factory default settings
2) Read your TD-3 manual so that you understand what the different settings you're "messing around" with actually do.
3) Repeat #2
4) Repeat #2 again
5) Start using your newly-acquired knowledge to tweak the TD-3 trigger settings as necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help! I guess 'messing around' isn't the best way to describe what I have been doing. There just seems to be and endless combinations of configurations and is very tedious. I will try restoring it and turning the wheel all the way up and start from there. I do understand what the functions of my TD-3 are but some of them seem to be very similar like the 'mask time' and 'retigger cancel' function. Just wondering if someone had the same set and had the same issues. Thought there may be something wrong with my drum sensors since they are getting a bit older. More suggestions welcome. Thanks again.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be tricky to "debug" these kits because you have to know exactly how it's going wrong, e.g. whether it's dropping hits or double-hitting. The RB3 freestyle mode doesn't show you which pads are getting hit which isn't the best either; makes me wonder if RB2 freestyle mode might be the easiest approach.

1) Sensitivity/threshold too low/high: pads don't register hits or double-hit too easily.
2) Crosstalk: you hit one pad and another pad triggers.
3) Crosstalk cancellation is too high: you can hit pads on their own and they trigger, but when you start hitting multiple pads together some hits get dropped.

The exact settings to use are going to depend on your brain, but also your triggers, your frame, etc. I think David's suggestion about resetting to factory defaults is correct, and I also think intuitively you shouldn't need to do anything too advanced with your kit.

I have a TD-9 with one Roland mesh pad and three Pintech mesh pads. I have found it to be fine except I raised the threshold on the Pintechs and the cymbals because I was getting double-hits. I believe I kept the snare at default. Also raised the threshold on the kick IIRC. I never had to change the crosstalk settings. I did have to do some fiddling around to get the hi-hat pedal working right but a TD-3 won't support that anyway.

Hope this helps a bit. All you can really do is be meticulous. I would suggest maybe getting each pad working individually and then only look into crosstalk if you feel there is clear evidence you are experiencing problems after each pad on its own seems reliable. I think if your pads are so sensitive that you get crosstalk, you will probably have double-hit problems anyway, so fixing the latter would fix the former, and you'd only run into crosstalk cancellation issues if you went too overboard.
sandwichriver  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! Seems to be fixed. Thanks for the responses!

What I learned for others to take from.

I restored my TD-3 to factory settings.

I turned the sensitivity wheel on the RB MIDI Pro adaptor all the way up. (+ or towards the top of the device.)

First things first. I went into practice--->drum trainer-->freestyle mode for RB2 so I could see how the drum were registering. I started by checking crosstalk. I hit each drum with good velocity but nothing insane. No other drums were going off. I tried a lot of green-blue-bass combos since that is probably the most force you put on the drum set. Therefore I left the TD3 settings for this at default.

I then was checking double hitting. This was the main concern. When I was hitting the drum not only was it hitting twice it was hitting up to four or five times! It was a combo of me not holding the sticks tight enough, so it was slightly vibrating when it hit the drum, and the drum triggering multiple times from the decaying sound wave after the initial pulse. The hits were so fast that they sounded like one hit but I could tell on freestyle mode that it was much more. To fix this there is a function in the TD3 called "Retrigger Cancel". I pumped this value up from the defaults '2' to a '10' for every drum. I basically turned it up as high as it would go until I started to see dropped notes on my fastest drum roll. There was also a function called "mask time". I originally made this high to eliminate the double hits but found hit prone to dropping random notes as well. So I left this on the default setting which is around 12ms.

The biggest difference that was made was there is a setting on the TD3 that is called "Local Controller". This function must be turned OFF to insure the internal sound of the drum is not used as the trigger. To do this you hold the 'inst' then turn the POWER ON. This sends the trigger signal DIRECTLY to the MIDI out. I feel like an idiot by not realizing this was defaulted as ON.

Another quick tweak I made was mechanically to my drums. I cut off some of the slack on my kick drum so the head was closer to the drum to cut down on swing time and also double hit backs. I found it more like the stock RB set but with a little more kick.

So there you have it. I hope someone with the same issues can get something out of this. I need to adjust to playing these drums just a little but am now pretty satisfied with the adaptor. Thanks again.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're up and running!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: