FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Best HDTV setup / calibrations for Rock Band / Guitar Hero ( Wii )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nidecker  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Best HDTV setup / calibrations for Rock Band / Guitar Hero ( Reply with quote

Okay, so I'm looking for an HDTV that works properly with GH/RB for the Wii.

I'm tired of playing on my CRT TV, so please help me out here.

What TV setup are you using? what brand and model number? would be great to find a tv that have minimum lag. Otherwise, what calibration number are you using in GH3, the newer GH games, RB2 and RB3?

It's fine for me to buy an HDTV that do have lag, as long as you can share the calibration numbers for that tv (I guess many good players out there have managed to get spot on calibrations)

so, If you're playing on the Wii and don't experience any lag with your calibrations, please leave a post with your tv setup, calibration numbers, tv brand and model.

I guess bbforky, FingerQuick, CyclopsDragon and a few more are using HDTV's I have tried to ask them on youtube but with no replies. They're as we know very good players and DO need good calibrations on their TV's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Nidecker
Icemage  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um. Calibration is a very personal thing, because it's not just what your equipment is doing, it's how you like to play.

Most HDTVs have a Game Mode option that minimizes (but usually does not eliminate) lag. It "generally" keeps things reasonable (under 100ms of video and audio lag) but I don't know of any units that cause no lag at all, unless maybe there's a 720p native unit out there that has a really good Game Mode.

Even with the same model of TV, performance can vary from unit to unit. Getting numbers from someone else, even with the same console and model TV, is not necessarily going to produce a good calibration.

TL;DR: If you're so worried about calibration, you need to learn how to properly calibrate yourself. You shouldn't purchase a TV based on those criteria, because good calibrations can compensate for that. And you DEFINITELY shouldn't get calibration numbers from anyone else, except maybe as a starting point for your own calibrations.
Bront  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage pretty much nailed it. Calibration is pretty personal. I suggest just using the Strat's auto-calibration feature as a start, and go from there. Run it a few times from the same spot in the room, try playing, and see how it goes. Remember, calibration can change slightly from spot to spot just because light and sound don't travel instantly (so, it won't be much, but every 5 feet can have a noticeable effect on calibration)

As for good players, most have found a calibration that works for them. It's not like they found the secret calibration numbers and the notes hit themselves (that'd be cool though).

Your numbers will be unique to your system and you. Things like cable length, how you have the cables routed (into/out of which devices), processing speed of your tv and audio system, and where you sit can effect it, and even perfect calibration for the game may not be your perfect calibration (Like an early window? drop the numbers a bit. Like a later window? crank them up slightly).

Songs: Just over 1000.
Technicolor  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bront wrote:
Things like cable length...can effect it (calibration)

Unless your cables are so long that the signal is degrading enough to introduce HDMI bit errors, I doubt the couple nanoseconds required for the signal to travel each foot are perceivable by mere mortals.

This is Scorehero though, so perhaps I'm wrong - someone might just be that good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technicolor wrote:
Bront wrote:
Things like cable length...can effect it (calibration)

Unless your cables are so long that the signal is degrading enough to introduce HDMI bit errors, I doubt the couple nanoseconds required for the signal to travel each foot are perceivable by mere mortals.

This is Scorehero though, so perhaps I'm wrong - someone might just be that good.
It's more the difference between a 5 foot and a 25 foot cable (Heck, I think my parent's setup has over 50 feet of cable to go though more than once). Not saying it's much, but it is a factor, even if it is blowing into a hurricane.

Songs: Just over 1000.
Technicolor  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bront wrote:
Not saying it's much, but it is a factor, even if it is blowing into a hurricane.

Put it this way - if your cable was 100 miles long (a magical cable with no signal degradation), that would introduce one millisecond of delay. It isn't worth calculating the calibration delay for a wire in a room, or even a house.

Electricity moves through wire very quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a pretty good way to get accurate calibration (and a method you can reapply to any other tv you use in the future): http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=617592&highlight=#617592

I actually had a list in my old phone of the calibration numbers for the TVs of any friend whose house I was likely to take my PS3 over to for Rock Band playage so that I would not have to redo this method every time I changed television sets--definitely recommend doing something similar if there's any chance you'll move your console to other television setups at any point. (MY own PS3's been dead since the summer and I've got a new phone; going to have to go back and pull that list off the old one once I replace my console.)

Hope that helps you out so you can adapt to whatever TV you happen to be using.

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: