FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
RB3Maker: easy .rba to XBox 360 customs (Jan02: 2.1.0.80 beta)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inimitable  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a pretty damn nice plan you got there! I had pretty much given up on reliable customs since RawkSD disappeared from radar; definitely glad to see there's still enough savvy folk around to keep the community going.

Unrelated question: is there a way to stop individual songs/packages from uploading to the leaderboards? Being able to play an official song and use leaderboards and playing a custom and not worry about HMX wagging their finger at me too hard would be a load off my mind.

Newest custom chart: Avantasia - The Tower (RB3 Full Band)
Technicolor  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inimitable wrote:
Unrelated question: is there a way to stop individual songs/packages from uploading to the leaderboards? Being able to play an official song and use leaderboards and playing a custom and not worry about HMX wagging their finger at me too hard would be a load off my mind.

Sure is... log out! Obviously that doesn't address your "AND use leaderboards".

If you want to be sneaky, you might be able to figure something out with the song id from that other thread.

Leaderboards, we hardly knew ye.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technicolor wrote:
Sure is... log out! Obviously that doesn't address your "AND use leaderboards".

Derp, I'm sad to say that didn't even occur to me... I don't use Xbox Live very much.

Technicolor wrote:
If you want to be sneaky, you might be able to figure something out with the song id from that other thread.

?

Technicolor  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAxxOUTBR3AKxx wrote:
Yes, I remember now from the other thread, you mentioned fingerprint data, and that is a fascinating idea. But how would it differentiate the music? There's so many versions of songs and some could have silence or no silence because of iPods and could be of varying bitrates, etc.

Oh this is SO going to work. Major geek out.

The goal again is to automatically calculate the offset of the MP3 supplied by a user against the one you used when authoring.

This new chunk of code takes two MP3s, converts them both into 44.1 KHz 16-bit L/R samples, calculates the RMS of each 10 ms chunk, and then slides one file from a -4 second offset against the other to +4 seconds. It calculates the correlation coefficient of each set of RMS values for each time offset and spits out a pretty graph. A perfect match is a correlation of 1.0.

Here are a few experiments (y-axis=correlation, x-axis=time offset):

The "fingerprint" of RMS values in its raw format is something like 300K.

So far it looks pretty bulletproof.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technicolor wrote:
So far it looks pretty bulletproof.

Fun fact: when a song that was originally recorded on tape gets remastered, I guess they run it through a different tape machine, and it plays back at a different speed.

Over a whole song this adds up to 200 or 300 ms, which makes playback in RB3 unacceptable.

If you're clever though, you can resample the audio. Look what happens to the correlation score when you find the right speed compensation:

The spec for pro tape machines seems to be 0.1%, which lines up perfectly with a 200-300 ms variance over a 4 minute song.

So, if the initial best correlation score sucks (less than 0.8), RB3Maker will prompt you if you want to try resampling. On a crappy PC I'm betting it might take up to a minute, but the results should be perfect.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all looks amazing Technicolor, but I'm wondering how this is supposed to work on the user's end since we would only have our mp3 and couldn't compare it against the one that the charter used.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: LyokoFreaks
TAxxOUTBR3AKxx  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LyokoFreaks wrote:
This all looks amazing Technicolor, but I'm wondering how this is supposed to work on the user's end since we would only have our mp3 and couldn't compare it against the one that the charter used.

That's what he meant by "fingerprint data" in the other thread. He said something about that being what the graphs are, and will come with peoples customs when distributed, since we cant use mp3s. RB3 Maker will see the fingerprint data and when you use your mp3 of the song, it will convert it, create it's own graph (fingerprint data), compare the 2, and then adjust YOUR audio against the graph comparison data so it should be EXACTLY the same as what the charter used.

Only problem is making sure people have good rips of songs that they have. I had a couple that have slight skips in the mp3s because of scratched cds.

Is my post correct, Technicolor?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Co2 Outbr3ak
Technicolor  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LyokoFreaks wrote:

You don't have to compare it - RB3Maker will! It will shift and resample as needed to match the original, which will magically work - provided it really is the same recording.

Here's what the author does:

- Create an RBA with all the usual tools (REAPER, Magma, etc)
- Use REAPER to render a WAV file for the count-in (basically all the silence+sound before the MP3 starts - any silence within the MP3 will be taken care of automatically)
- Run RB3Maker 2.0 to create a new kind of package, containing:
-- <songname>.rbproj (this will be patched on the player's end)
-- <songname>.mid
-- <songname>.countin.mp3 (RB3Maker will convert .wav to .mp3)
-- <songname>.fingerprint - RB3Maker will generate the signature of the author's MP3 (about 300K worth of raw data for a typical song)

As the author, you distribute the <songname>.rb3maker.zip package. Probably 100K or so.

Here's what the PLAYER does:
- Download <songname>.rb3maker.zip
- Put <songname>.mp3 in the same folder
- Put <songname>.bmp in the same folder (album art)
- Run RB3Maker and open <songname>.rb3maker.zip
- Put in a USB stick, wait a bit, and then go play.

Here's what RB3Maker 2.0 does for the player:
- Extract files from <songname>.rb3maker.zip
- Uses author's MP3 fingerprint data to automatically resample+align player's mp3
- Combine count-in and mp3 into <songname>.wav
- Write to <songname>.silence.wav
- Massages .rbproj to refer to <songname>.wav (backing track) and <songname>.silence.wav (all instruments)
- Invoke MagmaCompiler to generate RBA
- Do the usual RBA conversion it does today
- Inject onto USB stick

If the initial correlation score is crappy, RB3Maker will throw up a stern warning. You probably won't like the results and should find an mp3 that matches. So far I've correlated files with nigh-absolute certainty between different CD rippers, Amazon, iTunes, and remastered recordings. It's gonna work.

Last edited by Technicolor on Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Technicolor  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAxxOUTBR3AKxx wrote:
Only problem is making sure people have good rips of songs that they have. I had a couple that have slight skips in the mp3s because of scratched cds.
Is my post correct, Technicolor?

Spot on, sir!

You are 100% correct - any skips are a COMPLETE DISASTER and will result in a horrendous correlation. I have no intention of trying to fix THAT!

The real problem will be if the *author* uses a trashy MP3 - no one will be able to match it. So please be careful!

I suppose any CD skips will show up as a significant jump in your tempo map. Keep an eye out.

EDIT: Hmm. Actually this method is pretty insensitive to CD *gaps* - but a true *jump* in the recording is trouble.

Last edited by Technicolor on Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
LyokoFreaks  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon me, but holy fucking shit Technicolor! That's the most impressive solution to the whole issue of lining up the songs that I've ever seen. I'm just completely blown away, and then you not only came up with this ingenious solution, but you're implementing it into an all-in-one program for RB3 customs? You are simply brilliant. Thank you for such amazing work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: LyokoFreaks
DeathByCoconut  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even as a huge lurker on these forums, I have to post to say this is one of the greatest things I have seen being made in this community. You've pretty much solved most of the problems that people have had with charting and converting. And unless there is an easy way and I haven't noticed (or if you feel like adding it to the program) maybe you could design a way to easily convert .chart and FOF files into CONs?

This is absolutely brilliant though.
Technicolor  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeathByCoconut wrote:
...maybe you could design a way to easily convert .chart and FOF files into CONs?

Hold on, hold on... I've got to finish this grand plan first! Baby steps.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeathByCoconut wrote:
Maybe you could design a way to easily convert .chart and FOF files into CONs?

This is a lot more work than it sounds like, because the majority of FOF releases don't adhere to any sort of Rock Band standards. 99% of the charts released would make Magma throw a fit, vomit, and possibly uninstall itself out of frustration.

If a FOF track is done properly, and includes notes in lower difficulties, has an Event track, and has properly labelled track names, then RB auto-conversion would be possible by adding a standard Beat and Venue track (though that means for a lot of songs the animations will be messed up and the venue won't look good). If it's not done properly it's a mess.

And Technicolor - it will be possible to skip the audio auto-sync step, yes? Or at least easily extract RB3maker files so we can alter them ourselves?

TAxxOUTBR3AKxx  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inimitable wrote:
DeathByCoconut wrote:
Maybe you could design a way to easily convert .chart and FOF files into CONs?

This is a lot more work than it sounds like, because the majority of FOF releases don't adhere to any sort of Rock Band standards. 99% of the charts released would make Magma throw a fit, vomit, and possibly uninstall itself out of frustration.

If a FOF track is done properly, and includes notes in lower difficulties, has an Event track, and has properly labelled track names, then RB auto-conversion would be possible by adding a standard Beat and Venue track (though that means for a lot of songs the animations will be messed up and the venue won't look good). If it's not done properly it's a mess.

And Technicolor - it will be possible to skip the audio auto-sync step, yes? Or at least easily extract RB3maker files so we can alter them ourselves?

@Inimitible: I don't really chart much, but the songs I'd use for my GH3PC, I go through and convert and put on my RB3. I'd say for the sake of it, the songs all work in game, but they just have no venue events, as they were auto-generated by Magma. If it's something people wanted, I could possibly upload all the RB3-compatible .mids I have and people can make venues if they want. I personally don't care about the venue and just want to enjoy playing the song.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Co2 Outbr3ak
Technicolor  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inimitable wrote:
It will be possible to skip the audio auto-sync step, yes? Or at least easily extract RB3maker files so we can alter them ourselves?

RB3Maker always leaves all its intermediate files lying around. You can always make whatever manual modifications you deem necessary if you stick with Options / Full song.

For this specific concern: Let's say RB3Maker thinks your mp3 correlation is craptastic and you end up with an out of sync <song>_rb3con. You'll still have the <song>.mid, <song>.rbproj, and count-in .mp3 (along with <song>.wav, if that helps).

You can make your own .rpp, fix things up by aligning audio or tweaking the MIDI tempo map, export the MIDI and/or render the .wav, and then use RB3Maker with the Full song option to repackage everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: