FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
RB3 On-Disc Harmonies Paths
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MWcw709  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: RB3 On-Disc Harmonies Paths Reply with quote

OP Updated: Dec. 13th, 2010 @ 11:20 am EST

Not every path may be fully optimal, this is the best path that has been posted here so far.

Path Notation:
2/ means hit the first activation after you have your overdrive half full.
3/ means hit the first activation after you have your overdrive 3/4 full.
4/ means hit the first activation after you have your overdrive full.
AI means hit all activations the first opportunity possible.
AS means Activation Squeeze (Which means you need to squeeze in order to catch an OD phrase later to keep your overdrive running longer)
BOD means activate before overdrive
ES means end squeeze
EwO means Ends with Overdrive that cannot be used.
FRS means Finesse Reverse Squeeze (This means you need to activate early at just the right point to get all the points from phrases sung but not catch the last od phrase)
#sk – the number of activation windows to skip before activating.
b|t – denotes whether the windows skipped are on the bottom or top of the vocals highway. This is not necessarily which launch pad is going to be used to activate.
BH (before harmonies)

Example of a path [#OD]/[#sk][b|t]-[notes]

20th Century Boy:
25 or 6 to 4:
Beast and the Harlot:
The Beautiful People:
Been Caught Stealing:
Before I Forget:
Bohemian Rhapsody:
Caught in a Mosh: 2/2t-ES(BH), 3/2b-ES, 4/2b-ES (Beez808/RipleyLV426)
Centerfold:
China Grove:
Cold as Ice:
The Con:
Crazy Train: 4/1b-ES, 3/3b-ES (MWcw709/Red_Demon_Man)
Crosstown Traffic:
Dead End Friends:
Don't Bury Me... I'm Still Not Dead:
Don't Stand So Close to Me:
Du Hast:
Everybody Wants to Rule the World:
Fly Like an Eagle:
Foolin':
Get Free:
Get Up, Stand Up:
Good Vibrations(Live):
Heart of Glass:
Here I Go Again:
Humanoid:
I Can See for Miles:
I Love Rock n' Roll: 2/1t-FRS, 2/0b-ES, 2/0t-ES (Beez808/RipleyLV426)
I Need to Know:
In a Big Country: 3/0b, 4/1b (Beez808/RipleyLV426)
In the Meantime:
Just Like Heaven:
Killing Loneliness:
King George:
Last Dance:
Living in America:
Llama:
The Look:
Me Enamora: 2/0t-ES(FRS), 2/0b, 2/0t (Beez808/RipleyLV426)
Midlife Crisis:
Misery Business:
Need You Tonight:
No One Knows:
Oh My God:
One Armed Scissor:
Outer Space:
Oye Mi Amor:
Portions for Foxes:
The Power of Love:
Radar Love:
Rainbow in the Dark: 2/0b-ES, 2/1b, 3/0b-ES (Beez808/RipleyLV426)
Rehab: 4/0b, 4/3b-ES (Beez808/RipleyLV426)
Rock Lobster:
Roundabout:
Sister Christian:
Something Bigger, Something Brighter:
Smoke on the Water:
Space Oddity:
This Bastard's Life:
Viva la Resistance: 3/2t-ES (BH), 2/0b-ES, 2/1b-ES (Beez808/RipleyLV426)
Walk of Life: 2/0t-BH, 3/1t-ES, 3/0t-BH (Beez808/RipleyLV426)
Walking on the Sun:
Whip It:
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 1:

Get your Portable ID!

Last edited by MWcw709 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:18 pm; edited 20 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: MWcw709 PSN Name: MWcw709
r0bd0g  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harmony paths are tricky, and the usual notation doesn't work very well. How do I notate to activate in the middle of a really long harmony window? What about "harmony squeezing", is there a notation for that?

It doesn't help that there are no charts to go off of.
MWcw709  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true but still for those that can do it there will be a path page for them atleast

i'm working on that part with the Harmony squeezing Probally notation will be HS

Get your Portable ID!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: MWcw709 PSN Name: MWcw709
Beez808  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot more discussion regarding notations that needs to happen as there are a lot of situations that should be accounted for.

For example;
* Should the activation be with the top or the bottom window?
* Are the skips counting the top or bottom windows?
* Are there End Squeezes? Just Lead or on the Harmonies also?
* Before Harmonies means, before the whole harmony phrase? Or at the point where harmonies start within the phrase?

I'm all for having a place to collect Harmony paths but only if they are maintained and follow a standardized notation that all of the people creating paths can agree on.

Drummer and Path-Man for Drunk n Hammock (RB2 scores)
r0bd0g  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If an activation begins before a phrase that doesn't have harmonies at the beginning, unless you're gonna be doing an FRS, you'll activate no the harmony window and ES the phrase as much as possible. This is gonna happen a lot. And often, the harmony windows are gonna cover most of the song. Saying 2/sk1-HW could mean almost anything, if the harmony window lasts for the rest of the song or something.

If there are times where a specific harmony should count for the 4k (harmony squeezing) it is possible to get 399 points out of the other harmony and still harmony squeeze. As well, if some harmonies end during others, it might be possible to get the main phrase quickly enough to get all 400 point out of the other phrase if you time is perfectly.

Harmonies are... a cluster... what's the word? Notation might not be good enough for most cases. I would highly suggest doing a more verbal path description as opposed to some notation. It doesn't help that there are no harmony charts. You'd need to go through the song, and mark the harmonies on the chart. Often, phrase dividers are added/moved/removed and OD is in different places as well.
MWcw709  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there used to be a topic for green day rock band with harmonies and i was going to use that system but i can't seem to find them anymore. Plus as far as i know there is no beetles as well that i know of anyways. I open for suggestions to help build this page. This is for the vocal community and for those of us that are able to do the harmonies either with two or three other people live or by our selves which is what i do for the time being.

Get your Portable ID!
Beez808  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ripley and I came up with a system for pathing harmonies while doing Green Day disc songs that worked pretty well for us. The notations are based on the traditional "sk#" method of notation but altered slightly.

The format goes like this:

[#OD]/[#sk][b|t]-[notes]

#OD – the number of Energy phrases to pick up with a minimum of 2 for half bar of overdrive.
#sk – the number of activation windows to skip before activating.
b|t – denotes whether the windows skipped are on the bottom or top of the vocals highway. This is not necessarily which launch pad is going to be used to activate.
notes – any clarifications about the path would go here. ES (end squeeze), BH (before harmonies), et al.

So, as an example here's the path I came up with for Emenius Sleepus on the Green Day disc (i.e. not export):

3/0t-ES(BH), 2/1b-ES

1st Act. - After getting 3 Energy phrases (3/4 bar) use the 1st top window to activate while end squeezing right before the harmony starts.
2nd Act. - After getting 2 Energy phrases, skip 1 bottom window and when the 2nd bottom window arrives, end squeeze the activation, most likely using the top window to activate.

Most often an ES is pushed as far as possible while still filling the wheel. In circumstances where that is not the case, I include a descriptor in parentheses. If the point to end squeeze is a word in the song it would typically be enclosed in quotes.

We've just started pathing RB3 disc songs and I've got about 25 paths for Green Day that I'll release but will likely need to be reworked for RB3 because of different OD.

RipleyLV426  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There didn't seem to be a huge interest in Beatles harmony paths, and even less so with Green Day. Hopefully more people will give RB3 harmonies a try, even if you play solo with 1-3 mics. It's insanely fun, really!

Suggestions for the OP:
- remove the 18 non-harmonies songs
- remove all refs to taps (luckily, harmonies don't have 'em!)
- correct the typo in the subject (or change to hamrony? )

And now for some paths! Estimates are based on conservative ESs; hardcore vibratists may have more wiggle room. And points.

I Love Rock n' Roll: 2/1t-FRS, 2/0b-ES, 2/0t-ES
- all doubles are the same note, perfect for solo + 2 mics

In a Big Country: 3/0b, 4/1b

Rainbow in the Dark: 2/0b-ES, 2/1b, 3/0b-ES

Rehab: 4/0b, 4/3b-ES

Viva la Resistance: 3/2t-ES (BH), 2/0b-ES, 2/1b-ES
- all doubles are the same note

Paths credits to Beez808/RipleyLV426.
MWcw709  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP Updated

Thank you for the suggestions Ripley and Beez

Get your Portable ID!
r0bd0g  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anybody actually pathing harmonies, remember that, whichever bar I fill the most (if multiple bars are completely filled, whichever bar fills completely, first) counts for the majority of the points in the phrase. You could drop 1 tick on two of the harmony lines, and then wait for the last line to start before activating. This is called "harmony squeezing". I still don't think the notation can describe such a scenario.

Also, any time that you do an activation before a phrase that does not have harmonies, you're probably going to want to use the harmony window somewhere around the middle of the phrase, and then ES the whole thing. A lot of activations are gonna have to have "notes" about around which word you should activate and then starting singing.
RipleyLV426  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vocal Harmonies Discussion Thread (here) has a lot of useful information that's still applicable for RB3. If you missed it during Beatles or Green Day, check there for some great tips & tricks.

Some of this info has been previously mentioned...

Solo End Squeezing can be viewed as (1) don't sing the beginning of the phrase, (2) activate using the mid-phrase launchpad, then (3) sing/vibrato to fill the pie using a limited amount of the phrase. Yes, in some instances, you may need to sing a tad before activating.

For Harmonies, in addition to that bottom mid-phrase launchpad, when you have 1/2 bar of OD and only the blue vocal part in a phrase, there's also a huge top launchpad. This allows for even later ES activations.

Take it into Practice Mode to see how much you do (or don't) need to sing/vibrato. Some phrases are ridiculously end-heavy. Just like finding the solo FRS sweet spot in a big launchpad (à la 3rd horn riff in Where'd You Go), part of the pathing fun is finding the "sing word" that works best for you or your team.

Adding your own notes to the 'shorthand' path is helpful, especially when every activation has an ES, or you launch during a really long phrase just before the harmony near the end. Or a 10-min beast like GD's Homecoming. Here's an example using our Viva la Resistance path; potential "sing word" in bold:

3/2t-ES (BH), 2/0b-ES, 2/1b-ES
* 3/2t-ES (BH): "oh lord won't you help me I've lost control"
* 2/0b-ES: "oh you can burn down my house, stone me for life"
* 2/1b-ES: "oh you can burn down my house, stone me for life"

More paths to come!
MWcw709  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope this helps and anyone that has any question. thanks, ripley for the explation of harmony pathing. Now i know the way the pathing format is different. its alot like bass/guitar pathing notation. i like it like this and easy too read too

Get your Portable ID!
Beez808  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone wants to do this god-awful song...
Caught in a Mosh: 2/2t-ES(BH), 3/2b-ES, 4/2b-ES (Beez808/RipleyLV426)
est. 250k

Just to entice you, if you have 2 mics, you can do this 3-part hamonies[sic] song alone and get everything.

Also;
Me Enamora: 2/0t-ES(FRS), 2/0b, 2/0t (Beez808/RipleyLV426)
est. 265k (if you have 3 people to hit the 3 parters)

MWcw709  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP Updated

Get your Portable ID!
Beez808  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walk of Life: 2/0t-BH, 3/1t-ES, 3/0t-BH (Beez808/RipleyLV426)
est. 228k (Again, you'll need 3 people to hit all these harmonies)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: