FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Vocal Harmonies Discussion Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diablocon  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: The Vocal Harmonies Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Anyone who has been paying the slightest attention to The Beatles: Rock Band will of course know that the biggest feature to be added are the vocal harmonies.

However, there's obviously a lot we need to learn about these strange beasts other than the fact it's great for getting some friends over to wail into those extra mics you've been collecting from Lips, Singstar or several RB/GH bundles (seriously, I have like 6 mics now @_@).

So I thought I'd make this thread to store information that's gathered initially, and just so there's some place to discuss them.

First off, if you want to get a feeling for how Harmonies work but don't have friends who can sing, then pick I've Got a Feeling. This song is really good for understanding how vocal harmonies work on your own, since there are several phrases where both singers sing, but not over each other, so you can get some Double Fabs on your own.

The absolute best song that testing can be done on is Paperback Writer. It's opening phrase is a triple harmony with easy to recognize pitches, so lots of restarting can be done on it (assuming your two friends want to consistently sing the same thing over and over again).

Anyway, here are the findings so far:

Fab bonuses are both affected by difficulty and multiplier.
The base points for Double Fab bonuses are equal to 10% of the base points for that difficulty
The base points for Triple Fab bonuses are equal to 20% of the base points for that difficulty

Easy Double Fab Bonuses: Base 20, 80 at x4
Easy Triple Fab Bonuses: Base 40, 160 at x4
Medium Double Fab Bonuses: Base 40, 160 at x4
Medium Triple Fab Bonuses: Base 80, 320 at x4
Hard Double Fab Bonuses: Base 80, 320 at x4
Hard Triple Fab Bonuses: Base 160, 640 at x4
Expert Double Fab Bonuses: Base 100, 400 at x4
Expert Triple Fab Bonuses: Base 200, 800 at x4

Thanks to Jerrith for giving us a general idea of what Triple Fab bonuses are. It hasn't been as thoroughly tested as the Double Fab bonuses, but ti should be right.

Beatlemania can be activated by any singer who doesn't have anything to sing whenever they want.

Oh boy, the big one in terms of pathing. I've still to do this, but rastabot1 was kind enough to provide me video evidence of it here.

As far as I can tell, there must be nothing for the other singer to sing in order to activate BM mid phrase. So say you have 3 singers, the third singer can only active BM mid-phrase assuming the other two are currently hitting their pitches and there isn't a third pitch line in the current phrase.

The pitch lines are like magnets in Harmony Mode
This is more obvious on your own. If you are even near one of the required pitches, that pitch's specific pitch line will go "Ok, you're trying to sing THIS part" and immediately grab your pitch arrow and drag it towards that pitch. This can be slightly annoying if you're trying to sing Ringo's section but it thinks you're trying to be Paul. For the first second or two you'll be filling up the wrong pitch bar until you can veer off and get to the correct pitch. This has given me many Greats instead of Fabs.

Harmonies have tics too
Yeah, should seem obvious, but just add this here. If you don't fully fill up a second or third bar, you won't get a Double Fab, but you'll still get some points. These bonuses aren't All or Nothing. So if I fill up only half my pitch bar (assuming one of my friend's filled up theirs fully), we only got 50 bonus points (assuming we're at x1 multiplier).

Overdrive can be activated mid phrase.
There are two ways of doing this:
The Easy Way - When you have enough OD, whoever is not singing simply has to make a pitch not found in the phrase to activate OD.
The Hard Way- This is also known as the solo way. In between words, if you can make the sound fast enough, you should be able to activate OD on your own.

Both Singstar mics are considered different mics
Yes PS3 owners, if you have the singstar mics you've already got two mics to use. Both are counted as seperate mics.

Thanks go to
Thanks to these guys for helping with the findings:
Heimlich17
bclare
Jerrith
Icemage

So yeah, please post any findings you find about harmonies, and just discuss them too (they're dead fun).

Last edited by diablocon on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:28 am; edited 5 times in total
Koenn  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gotten to try out harmonies with more than one person yet, but I do think it's cool that you can sing any given part in a phrase and still get credit for that phrase. Going down to the harmony part for the chorus of "Eight Days A Week" is fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: k0enn
heety9  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great guide man, really informative.
Smeddy24  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea on how the overall song percentage is calculated for simple display? I thought it was percentage of lead hit, and it could be, but I'm doubting that. I hit 99% of a song's lead, and my friend hit 1% of the lead, in addition to something, not 100% of the harmony. I doubt he hit the 1% I missed, though it's possible.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeddy24 wrote:
Any idea on how the overall song percentage is calculated for simple display? I thought it was percentage of lead hit, and it could be, but I'm doubting that. I hit 99% of a song's lead, and my friend hit 1% of the lead, in addition to something, not 100% of the harmony. I doubt he hit the 1% I missed, though it's possible.

The simple version of the scoring is tracking the percentage of phrases in the song where someone scored a Fab -- doesn't matter which part was hit, melody or harmony.

You can actually see this in action all by yourself using just one microphone, but playing on Harmonies. Choose any song where the harmonies have the same lyrics sung at the same time as the melody -- Come Together, for example. Make sure you nail all the phrases correctly where there's only a melody part. But whenever a phrase comes along that has a harmony part, take your pick -- sing the harmony, sing the melody, it doesn't matter. Maybe just for testing, choose a single phrase in the entire song to sing harmony, and sing all the rest melody. Your simple score for the song will be 100%. But if you look at the detailed breakdown, the melody score will be some small mark below 100%, and the harmony line will be some mark just a bit above 0%. (And those numbers won't necessarily add up to 100% either. Each is just an individual representation of phrases hit for that singing part.)
diablocon  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smeddy24 wrote:

I FCed Paperback Writer with Harmonies turned on, jumping between the various pitches, and in the end my final percentage breakup was 83%/19%/11%, even though my total percentage was 100%. As Heimlich17 said, the final percentage is based on the number of phrases you got Fab on, it doesn't care which pitch line you were hitting.

Anyway, that's all Double Fab bonuses found out, thank you I've Got a Feeling. Upon looking at the numbers I realised that the bonus is 10% of the base points for that difficulty, so it's safe to assume that Triple Fabs will be based on a percentage too.

Just for assumption, I'll say that Triple Fab bonuses are 20%, that means for expert the bonus would be 200, 800 under max multiplier and 1600 under BM. Now that's some nice bonus points! I can see pathing being very different for Harmony mode, since you'll obviously want to use BM when there are lots of Harmonies going on.
internetguy87  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Vocal Harmonies Discussion Thread Reply with quote

diablocon wrote:

The pitch lines are like magnets in Harmony Mode
This is more obvious on your own. If you are even near one of the required pitches, that pitch's specific pitch line will go "Ok, you're trying to sing THIS part" and immediately grab your pitch arrow and drag it towards that pitch. This can be slightly annoying if you're trying to sing Ringo's section but it thinks you're trying to be Paul. For the first second or two you'll be filling up the wrong pitch bar until you can veer off and get to the correct pitch. This has given me many Greats instead of Fabs.

Now my question is, does this mean if you have 2 people singing 2 harmonies that one person can actually help the other person out by singing a little of theirs on pitch, then switch to their own and fill it up.

I don't see this ever being truly useful, but it could be fun switching mid phrase on harmonies with someone, etc. =P

I play my game online
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: internetguy87
Smeddy24  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Vocal Harmonies Discussion Thread Reply with quote

internetguy87 wrote:

Now my question is, does this mean if you have 2 people singing 2 harmonies that one person can actually help the other person out by singing a little of theirs on pitch, then switch to their own and fill it up.

I don't see this ever being truly useful, but it could be fun switching mid phrase on harmonies with someone, etc. =P
Very do-able, useful when the other person is having trouble. Certain phrases can be double'd by a single singer, some triple'd by two. I don't think there are any songs that you can do that for every phrase, though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Vocal Harmonies Discussion Thread Reply with quote

internetguy87 wrote:

Sort of. Each microphone is scored on its own for each part. Think of it as each mic having three separate bars to fill -- a blue one, an orange one, and a brown one. At the end of each phrase, the best blue score from any of the three mics is what counts, and so on for orange and brown.

So, you can switch parts mid-phrase if you want, but it's literally abandoning the color bar you're trying to fill and starting from scratch on the other color bar. If your "teammate" vocalist has filled say 80% of the phrase and now is missing it, you switching over to his part isn't going to give you the last 20%. It's only going to fill the FIRST 20% of your own separate bar for that color.

That means if you're playing for score, there are only two reasons I can think of why you'd ever actually want to switch parts:

1) Your teammate is missing the phrase COMPLETELY. In that case, finish your own color at 100%, then switch over to his. Getting whatever tiny fraction you can of what's left -- say 20% -- will count toward the score; you just won't get a Double Fab. Say you're playing on Expert. You'll get the 1000 points for your Fab, then you'll earn 20% of the 100 points you could have gotten for the Double Fab -- 20 points -- for the portion of the other part you sang.

2) Your color part goes silent mid-phrase before returning later in the phrase. I'll try and come back later and amend this example with a specific song in the hopes of describing it better, but there are some phrases where harmony parts "bookend" a phrase, but there are a few words sang only by the melody in the middle. In such a case, you can accomplish the same thing as case #1 above by singing the harmony as the phrase begins, then switching over to the melody mid-phrase because you don't have anything else to sing anyway, and finally switching BACK to the harmony to finish the phrase. The result will be similar -- you'll score Fab for your harmony, and then some small fraction of the melody in the phrase. (Again, in Expert, it'll probably be some number just above 1000 points for the phrase.)
internetguy87  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Vocal Harmonies Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Heimlich17 wrote:
internetguy87 wrote:

Sort of. Each microphone is scored on its own for each part. Think of it as each mic having three separate bars to fill -- a blue one, an orange one, and a brown one. At the end of each phrase, the best blue score from any of the three mics is what counts, and so on for orange and brown.

So, you can switch parts mid-phrase if you want, but it's literally abandoning the color bar you're trying to fill and starting from scratch on the other color bar. If your "teammate" vocalist has filled say 80% of the phrase and now is missing it, you switching over to his part isn't going to give you the last 20%. It's only going to fill the FIRST 20% of your own separate bar for that color.

That means if you're playing for score, there are only two reasons I can think of why you'd ever actually want to switch parts:

1) Your teammate is missing the phrase COMPLETELY. In that case, finish your own color at 100%, then switch over to his. Getting whatever tiny fraction you can of what's left -- say 20% -- will count toward the score; you just won't get a Double Fab. Say you're playing on Expert. You'll get the 1000 points for your Fab, then you'll earn 20% of the 100 points you could have gotten for the Double Fab -- 20 points -- for the portion of the other part you sang.

2) Your color part goes silent mid-phrase before returning later in the phrase. I'll try and come back later and amend this example with a specific song in the hopes of describing it better, but there are some phrases where harmony parts "bookend" a phrase, but there are a few words sang only by the melody in the middle. In such a case, you can accomplish the same thing as case #1 above by singing the harmony as the phrase begins, then switching over to the melody mid-phrase because you don't have anything else to sing anyway, and finally switching BACK to the harmony to finish the phrase. The result will be similar -- you'll score Fab for your harmony, and then some small fraction of the melody in the phrase. (Again, in Expert, it'll probably be some number just above 1000 points for the phrase.)

Wait, wait, wait. So uhm. does this mean if I fill my Orange bar completely. He fills his Red bar completely. Then we can switch, and I would fill some Red, and he would fill some Orange and we would essentially get above double Fab?

I play my game online
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: internetguy87
Laughingboy69  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know if enabling Harmonies on a song effects the cutoff for GS or not? (As opposed to doing just Solo) I only tried harmony on I Wanna Hold your Hand and I did get GS, but only because my friend and I KNEW that song and the harmony that goes with it. I'm sorry if someone explained this and I didn't see it. I did do ctrl+f "Cutoff" and couldn't find anything in this thread. It's something I've been asking myself since I started playing on day 1. -_-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Laughingboy69
Heimlich17  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sort-of related issue to my post above, but also kind of its own thing -- playing harmonies as a single player.

First of all, let me stress this is purely for score hunting, and to get a better sense of what harmonies should sound like. If you have ANY means of getting two or three vocalists together, it's a hell of a lot more fun to actually try to sing them. I played last night with three mics at a friend's house and it was awesome. About half the time, it sounded terrible, but the OTHER half of the time, when we'd say "I'm gonna try for the orange line this song; you stick with blue," and we'd actually SEE that reflected in our final scores -- yeah, you feel pretty great.

BUT... if you wanna just see how much you can do on your own, you need to always shift to whatever part has the LEAST going on in a phrase to maximize your score. Remember that ever piece of every part you sing counts in some measure (though to a MUCH lesser degree than actually finishing any ONE part completely).

For example, in Twist and Shout, if playing on harmonies as a solo player, when you get to the three part "build-up" with the long, sustained notes ("Ah...." "Ah...." Ah...."), you should start singing each line when it comes in, but switch to the NEW line when it comes in. You'll score your Fab for the phrase by finishing the LAST "Ah....", the shortest part in the phrase. And you'll also pick up a small fraction of both the other two parts by having started singing them earlier in the phrase.

Always look for the color with the least amount of singing in a phrase and get your Fab there. Then you have the chance to earn tiny fractions of phrases for the other colors, elsewhere in the phrase.

But as I said first, if you can: just get one or two other singers there. It's way fun.

Last edited by Heimlich17 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Heimlich17  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Vocal Harmonies Discussion Thread Reply with quote

internetguy87 wrote:
Wait, wait, wait. So uhm. does this mean if I fill my Orange bar completely. He fills his Red bar completely. Then we can switch, and I would fill some Red, and he would fill some Orange and we would essentially get above double Fab?

No, because when the phrase is over, only the "best score" counts for each color.

That's probably enough explanation, but just for the sake of being thorough, let me give a few phrases as examples (actual numbers approximate):

Phrase 1:
You rock this phrase. Your buddy is running back from the refrigerator and misses it completely. You sing all the blue perfectly, then switch to orange to cover for your buddy as the phrase ends:
YOUR MIC scores: 100% blue; 20% orange.
HIS MIC: 0% blue; 0% orange.
THIS PHRASE SCORES: 100% blue; 20% orange. (Fab.)

Phrase 2:
Now you're in the groove. You stick to your part; he's got his covered.
YOUR MIC: 100% blue; 0% orange.
HIS MIC: 0% blue; 100% orange.
THIS PHRASE scores: 100% blue; 100% orange. (Double Fab.)

Phrase 3:
You're so in tune with each other, just for kicks you switch colors for this phrase.
YOUR MIC: 0% blue; 100% orange.
HIS MIC: 100% blue; 0% orange.
(Purpose of this example -- it doesn't matter who was singing what before, only what gets sung in the phrase you're working now.)

Phrase 4:
So here's your question from above. You and your buddy try to "game the system." You finish your blue and switch to orange at the end of the phrase. He starts orange and switches to blue.
YOUR MIC: 100% blue; 20% orange.
HIS MIC: 20% blue; 100% orange.
Only the best score counts, and 100% is as good as it gets. Your 100% was better than his 20%, and vice versa.
internetguy87  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Vocal Harmonies Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Heimlich17 wrote:
internetguy87 wrote:

No, because when the phrase is over, only the "best score" counts for each color.

That's probably enough explanation, but just for the sake of being thorough, let me give a few phrases as examples (actual numbers approximate):

So this means that there are 9 different bars being displayed if there are 3 singers? Each singer gets his own bar for each color? I just haven't seen that in any YT vid, but can't imagine the colors overlap on each players bar.

Also my question is:

Player 1: 100% Blue, 20% Orange
Player 2: 0% Blue, 80% Orange

This doesn't equal 100% Blue, 100% Orange?

I play my game online
diablocon  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Vocal Harmonies Discussion Thread Reply with quote

internetguy87 wrote:
So this means that there are 9 different bars being displayed if there are 3 singers? Each singer gets his own bar for each color? I just haven't seen that in any YT vid, but can't imagine the colors overlap on each players bar.

No, there's only three bars, you all share them. Heimlich is speaking more in terms of the internal engine, which the "Advanced Results" screen uses.

Anyway, updated the post to mention that Harmonies get tics too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: