FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bohemian Rhapsody
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally nailed this bastard down. Here are my tips:

* Get your calibration PERFECT. This makes it soooo much easier. Bridge B phrases come pretty fast and having a phrase sneak up on you can be the difference between strong and awesome. If you can route your audio through a stereo instead of your TV and eliminate the audio lag, even better. (That was for me what made the difference between being able to get lucky and be consistent on it)

* Lead the phrases - starting singing slightly before the pitch line to make sure you get every last drop.

* Measure 61-62 - Drop the high parts an octave.

* Measure 63 - Good spot to breathe after "poor boy" if you need to

* Measure 66 - right after activating take a big breath

* Measure 67-68 - "No!" is the same pitch as "Mil", see the video

* Measure 71 - The best spot to breathe is at the beginning of this phrase, right before "never never". Missing the first little bit of pitches here won't matter as long as you nail the end, and you are not going to want to breathe in measures 72-74.

* Measure 72 - the "no no no no no" is the nastiest phrase in the game IMO. It helps if as soon as your pie is full in the previous phrase you immediately starting singing the first no, see the vid. Also keep a very close eye on the arrow in the no's. This phrase is particularly picky, and if you're off just a little you'll get a strong or an okay.

* Measure 73 - the second set of mama mia's is about the same pitch as the last pitch of the first set, see the vid to see what I mean

* Measure 91-93 - Not too hard, but they're a little picky. Leading helps.

* Measure 105 - this can seriously sneak up on you, I choked this phrase the first time I had FCd the rest. On the phrase before (in measure 101) just find the pitch early and stay there, its only a few steps down.

Video of Bridge B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yBOAmMehg
PlexShaw  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
* Get your calibration PERFECT. This makes it soooo much easier. Bridge B phrases come pretty fast and having a phrase sneak up on you can be the difference between strong and awesome. If you can route your audio through a stereo instead of your TV and eliminate the audio lag, even better. (That was for me what made the difference between being able to get lucky and be consistent on it)

What's the best way to calibrate for vocals?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PlexShaw PSN Name: PlexShaw Wii Friend Code: 5941308033072690
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlexShaw wrote:
singemfrc wrote:

What's the best way to calibrate for vocals?
I use the strat auto calibration first, then fine tune. For me, I want to have the chart just a little bit slow to give me a slight timing advantage. The "normal" calibration for my setup would be 0ms audio, 20ms video. The adjusted calibration I used to FC the song was 5ms audio, 15ms video. That gave me about a 10ms shift in the chart.
PlexShaw  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll give that a try and see if it helps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PlexShaw PSN Name: PlexShaw Wii Friend Code: 5941308033072690
PlexShaw  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update: massive props to you sir!

My normal calibration settings are '0 Audio 0 Video', so using your adjustment guide, I altered it to '5 Audio -5 Video'.

This absolutely made a difference. After a few goes in practice mode (and having learnt the song throughout the day), I was able to FC Good Vibrations (Live). Hooray!
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlexShaw wrote:
An update: massive props to you sir!

My normal calibration settings are '0 Audio 0 Video', so using your adjustment guide, I altered it to '5 Audio -5 Video'.

This absolutely made a difference. After a few goes in practice mode (and having learnt the song throughout the day), I was able to FC Good Vibrations (Live). Hooray!
Glad I could help!!
dpritch16  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god, this song is a challenge. I FAILED my Sightread trying to exact octave it. But I really have fun trying to do this song in exact octave. ^-^

Also, as it turns out, I sing the harmonies for this song normally~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: dpritch XVI PSN Name: dpritchXVI Wii Friend Code: 050183496083
grizzlymaze  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JuliefooJojo87 wrote:
If you're having trouble with this song, there's no other advice i can give you, except take it into practice. Makes it so easy... and practice mode is fun!

Easy? I dont think there will ever come a day when I will find this song even remotely easy. But kudo's to you and to anyone who can FC it with ease, or even with long, drawn-out painful difficulty!!

I have tried the octave shifting, tried picking one octave and sticking with it, but this song is so ingrained into my mind that its instinctive to try to emulate Freddie perfectly ... and that means disaster. I see the bridge coming up and Im telling myself to sing it in a certain way, but what comes out of my mouth is ALWAYS the original octave ... but off a little ... or a lot!

I think I'll just have to settle with sucking at this song.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least for me its not Freddie thats the hard part, its switching back and forth between he and the other singers
woozerkristen  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I worked on finishing up my remaining FCs this weekend, including this one, I've been noticing how I have a lot more success getting full credit for phrases when I sing them in the original octave. It's like it takes the game longer to recognize that you are on-pitch if you make it adjust octaves. I don't think any human being can sing the entirety of this song as it is charted without shifting up on the lowest sections or down on the highest (or both), but the more places you can sing on-octave, particularly on short phrases, the easier it is to FC.

Singe's guide above is awesome. I wish I'd read this before I worked on the song, but to be honest, my biggest (and really only) consistent struggle when I took it into practice mode was getting it to give me full credit on the "no no no" phrase -- it always seemed like I was on the 2nd "no" before it was giving me credit for being on pitch, which I attribute to my singing it up an octave from the original. Ending the previous phrase early and starting early on the "no's" is exactly the way to get that section consistently.

I made a counterpart video to singe's, showing where I octave shift and where I keep the original. I think his video is going to be the best guide for males about what to sing, particularly if they are avoiding falsetto. My video would probably work for people who are struggling with the octave shifting not giving them credit, to try to keep it in the original octave in most places. I'm severely an alto, so I don't have an inhumanly high range or anything, so guys who are comfortable using falsetto should be able to hit the same high phrases I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eN5vaUMWG8

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
grizzlymaze  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singe, I didn't word my post very well, I’m having difficulty singing that 2nd part of the bridge – the bridge of hell – so yes I guess it’s not just Freddie I’m struggling with. I thought I knew the song inside out and upside down, but hell no! It’s a disaster.

Kristen, that was awesome!! I will play that clip over and over until your version becomes ingrained. Thank you.

I don’t even care if I FC it. I just want to see a few less 'messy's!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: