FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What is the timing window in RB2? (in ms)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pas26  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: What is the timing window in RB2? (in ms) Reply with quote

? I've heard that it was 100, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by Pas26 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThunderShade  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming I'm understanding you correctly, then about 64ms. Don't know whether it should be positive or negative as I don't use callibration, but I'm sure it would be obvious wth some trial and error.
Pas26  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderShade wrote:
Assuming I'm understanding you correctly, then about 64ms. Don't know whether it should be positive or negative as I don't use callibration, but I'm sure it would be obvious wth some trial and error.

I think you understodd correctly since it's pretty close to my own answer (Decided to do it myself since I wasn't getting an answer).

However, I did it assuming the timing window in RB2 was 100ms. Am I rite?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pas26 wrote:
ThunderShade wrote:

I think you understodd correctly since it's pretty close to my own answer (Decided to do it myself since I wasn't getting an answer).

However, I did it assuming the timing window in RB2 was 100ms. Am I rite?

IIRC Strike thought it was exactly 100ms or very close so I think so.
BlueTornado  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, GH2 was found to have a timing window of 100ms and one of the devs said the engine was as tight as GH2 so you're right, it's 100ms. Strike also found that out as well.

You have died of dysentery. Put in your sig if lemons.
Proud Christian: If you are a Christian, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Christians are on ScoreHero!
***My Accomplishments: 67 RB2 H Guitar FCs!***
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: BlueTornadoSH
Chil  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves, the timing window for guitar is 100-116ms on the frontend and 84-100ms on the backend of a note. That's the theoretical numbers based on inter-frame calculations.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chil wrote:
If memory serves, the timing window for guitar is 100-116ms on the frontend and 84-100ms on the backend of a note. That's the theoretical numbers based on inter-frame calculations.

So wait, do these add up? Do they together make around 200ms?
Parmesean97  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt a 100ms window the same as a 1sec window? In which case id have to disagree, with that, either that or i got a defective rock band 2 and am having a lot harder time than most other people haha

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZionalQuadrophenic Lulz no vids, but add as a friend!
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parmesean97 wrote:
isnt a 100ms window the same as a 1sec window? In which case id have to disagree, with that, either that or i got a defective rock band 2 and am having a lot harder time than most other people haha

There are a thousand milliseconds in one second. 100 ms is 1/10th of a second. If you had a 1 second timing window I would be starting to wonder why you hadn't FC'd Crawl, yet.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
SmugDuckling  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a big discussion about this a while back. I think we decided that it was 100ms. There are a bunch of 100's floating around in the game files, and strike changed one of them and changed GH80s' timing window in a custom. I believe that particular file entry is still 100 in rb2.

Although in my optimizer I use 125ms so that I don't accidentally underestimate anything. Better to overshoot optimal than undershoot.

Also, any differences between back and front timing windows are probably due to lag calibration.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmugDuckling wrote:
There was a big discussion about this a while back. I think we decided that it was 100ms. There are a bunch of 100's floating around in the game files, and strike changed one of them and changed GH80s' timing window in a custom. I believe that particular file entry is still 100 in rb2.

Although in my optimizer I use 125ms so that I don't accidentally underestimate anything. Better to overshoot optimal than undershoot.

Also, any differences between back and front timing windows are probably due to lag calibration.

The theories about back-end vs front-end timing windows were based on variation that would come from sampling/polling intervals. But regardless, it probably could be calibrated so that the average windows on each side are the same.
Organizer, Vocalist and path factory for Season 9 League Champion band Barre Exam (RB1) and cofounder of Season 10 League Champion band Better Than You --v (RB2) - The #1 band on scorehero
Kawigi's Rock Band Projects
Drum Paths | Star Cutoffs | Scoring Data for Pathing | Notes and Lyrics for Vocalists
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kawigi
Tagrineth  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawigi wrote:
The theories about back-end vs front-end timing windows were based on variation that would come from sampling/polling intervals. But regardless, it probably could be calibrated so that the average windows on each side are the same.

That's also why Chil wrote the windows as ranges rather than solid numbers. The timing window is not perfectly stable, which is unavoidable.

My goals:
Put an X in this box: [why is this so hard]

stuff i''ve done, it''s been updated now which is weird
guitardan147  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: So.... Reply with quote

With this in mind what should I put my lag settings too:

Currently I've got video lag at 0
an audio at -10 - - I'm getting the notes to appear at the strike line when the note is heard in the song. Playing through 1080i

This is a very comfortable setup and I can hit a whole range of sections without having to resort to hitting things early/late to compensate, trips, quads and hopo-coasters feel right like this.

But what I'm saying is, is there an optimal setting to make things be super user-friendly

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us
Pas26  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: So.... Reply with quote

guitardan147 wrote:
With this in mind what should I put my lag settings too:

Currently I've got video lag at 0
an audio at -10 - - I'm getting the notes to appear at the strike line when the note is heard in the song. Playing through 1080i

This is a very comfortable setup and I can hit a whole range of sections without having to resort to hitting things early/late to compensate, trips, quads and hopo-coasters feel right like this.

But what I'm saying is, is there an optimal setting to make things be super user-friendly

The ingame calibration is user-friendly, but it won't center the timing window. If you use the IG calibration, you'll be able to hit note a little later than early (The devs probably thought that it would make fretting sections easier, and it does).

Just calibrate with the calibrator 5+ times and take the average.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm weird, because I calibrate intentionally off-center so the front-end is bigger. But frontend vs backend is entirely due to calibration, in theory they should be equal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: