FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Discuss: ScoreHero Moderation
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nollaig  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Discuss: ScoreHero Moderation Reply with quote

The first part of this topic (up until my first post) was split from this thread which invoked off-topic discussion on our moderation tactics.

I'm open to having that discussion, but let's do it here. -JCirri

Its being discussed in Rumors thread

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nollaig wrote:
Its being discussed in Rumors thread

I don't get why its beneficial in a forum for each piece of discussion worthy information to not have its own thread and be buried within every other discussion. Fuck that fucking main thread bullshit and it should have been posted in its own thread before fucking being posted in the compilation. Notice why there are only like 2 new threads a week and not much discussion. Fuck shit.

I'm suprised we even get DLC threads every week, instead of having a big DLC coming out next week thread. Somebody should start that because there is clearly something wrong with things having their own threads.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: little jerry12
youhas  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mct wrote:
I don't get why its beneficial in a forum for each piece of discussion worthy information to not have its own thread and be buried within every other discussion.

Because if every new piece of information spawns its own thread, you end up with an overabundance of threads in relatively short order? Meaning that if you're away from the site for any multi-day period of time, you have to go scrambling through multiple pages full of threads to suss out all the information rather than have it all in one place? Which has the bonus effect where for any topic that isn't on the first page, some random is likely to see no dedicated thread for some piece of "new" information and post a fresh (and redundant) thread of their own?

Keeping things constrained to a minimum number of threads is not without its own quirks: it really necessitates someone being on the ball enough to update the original post very frequently for it to work well, and some folks will plow on into the thread's last page asking questions rather than reading the updated OP. But it's a perfectly reasonable thread-creation stance for a forum's tenders to take.

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
mct  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youhas wrote:
mct wrote:
I don't get why its beneficial in a forum for each piece of discussion worthy information to not have its own thread and be buried within every other discussion.

Because if every new piece of information spawns its own thread, you end up with an overabundance of threads in relatively short order? Meaning that if you're away from the site for any multi-day period of time, you have to go scrambling through multiple pages full of threads to suss out all the information rather than have it all in one place? Which has the bonus effect where for any topic that isn't on the first page, some random is likely to see no dedicated thread for some piece of "new" information and post a fresh (and redundant) thread of their own?

Keeping things constrained to a minimum number of threads is not without its own quirks: it really necessitates someone being on the ball enough to update the original post very frequently for it to work well, and some folks will plow on into the thread's last page asking questions rather than reading the updated OP. But it's a perfectly reasonable thread-creation stance for a forum's tenders to take.

Well, I just remember the days when there were things to discuss on this forum and I was well informed. Whenever a new piece of information was uncovered some how, it had it's own worthy discussion, rather than being one of many others mixed up in a few hundred post thread. I felt like I was informed and interested, in addition to the forums being much more active and worth browsing. I could see what people think and have to say about the subject and discuss it instead of skimming the first and last pages of the few threads that exist before moving on.

Oh, and if you think like ten or twenty additional new threads a week is an overabundance, its really better than the drought we've had since this site has started discouraging discussion. I don't understand how any members are on board with this format.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: little jerry12
Rempo  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mct wrote:

Well, I just remember the days when there were things to discuss on this forum and I was well informed. Whenever a new piece of information was uncovered some how, it had it's own worthy discussion, rather than being one of many others mixed up in a few hundred post thread. I felt like I was informed and interested, in addition to the forums being much more active and worth browsing. I could see what people think and have to say about the subject and discuss it instead of skimming the first and last pages of the few threads that exist before moving on.

Oh, and if you think like ten or twenty additional new threads a week is an overabundance, its really better than the drought we've had since this site has started discouraging discussion. I don't understand how any members are on board with this format.

As a lurker, I completely agree with you. The wishlist thread is the only necessary one in my opinion (only because the number of new threads would be an extreme). For the rest, how hard is it to ignore a topic you don't want to deal with? The best threads to read discussion-wise are the new DLC threads. We are lucky a dedicated topic hasn't been created yet.

I don't think the forums attract any new posters - they're too cold. Read 100 stickies and announcements before posting? Give me a break. Want to post about the development of the Beatles game? Even if it was the most amazing thing that no one had heard of, go post it in the massive Beatles thread. Guy thanks Scorehero when his data vanishes - lock. Alphabetizing algorithm is annoying - lock. Misc Discussion is dead with these types of rules. I was amazed when I saw this topic hadn't been locked quickly.

Perhaps there should be a sticky regarding complaining. Or a dedicated topic for it. Then I could be pointed in that direction. Maybe I'm just grumpy.

--
elmarko  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youhas wrote:
mct wrote:

I'd rather look through one or two pages of topics (likely just one unless you haven't been here in months) than have to root through 15 pages of one gigantic topic for specific posts on something.
elmarko  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rempo wrote:
mct wrote:

As a lurker, I completely agree with you. The wishlist thread is the only necessary one in my opinion (only because the number of new threads would be an extreme). For the rest, how hard is it to ignore a topic you don't want to deal with? The best threads to read discussion-wise are the new DLC threads. We are lucky a dedicated topic hasn't been created yet.

I don't think the forums attract any new posters - they're too cold. Read 100 stickies and announcements before posting? Give me a break. Want to post about the development of the Beatles game? Even if it was the most amazing thing that no one had heard of, go post it in the massive Beatles thread. Guy thanks Scorehero when his data vanishes - lock. Alphabetizing algorithm is annoying - lock. Misc Discussion is dead with these types of rules. I was amazed when I saw this topic hadn't been locked quickly.

Perhaps there should be a sticky regarding complaining. Or a dedicated topic for it. Then I could be pointed in that direction. Maybe I'm just grumpy.

--

How about 90 percent of threads that ask a question being closed because they almost slightly resemble a poll if you really stretch the definition of a poll. Thats my favorite part.
fUNC  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elmarko wrote:
I'd rather look through one or two pages of topics (likely just one unless you haven't been here in months) than have to root through 15 pages of one gigantic topic for specific posts on something.

Ideally, that method shouldn't resort to readers having to do that. The great and not-so-great thing about all-encompassing posts is that the OP can condense all pertinent information into one place, then link to the page each discussion begins much like a hub. The downside to this is that said posters obviously can't monitor developments 24/7 so, if they take a vacation and are away from the boards for a week plus, the whole thing becomes scattershot. Like youhas said, there are advantages and disadvantages to each, and it comes down to personal preference.

/Business Time and Too Many Dicks please?

~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
mct  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fUNC wrote:
elmarko wrote:

Ideally, that method shouldn't resort to readers having to do that. The great and not-so-great thing about all-encompassing posts is that the OP can condense all pertinent information into one place, then link to the page each discussion begins much like a hub. The downside to this is that said posters obviously can't monitor developments 24/7 so, if they take a vacation and are away from the boards for a week plus, the whole thing becomes scattershot. Like youhas said, there are advantages and disadvantages to each, and it comes down to personal preference.

Well, we've always had the compilation threads that were stickied so bad topics would be limited... That was the original intent behind them. Somehow they just kind of took over as the only threads.
rtomek  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elmarko wrote:

Or at least lock and start a new thread when it gets to 4 pages or something. Some of the threads are so effing long that you don't know where to start if you want information that's relevent to the last month. It's a 60 page thread, so where do I start, page 50? 55? 58? Who knows?

The only thing I do know is that we rely on the OP going through all 60 pages and summarizing it for us. It would be much easier for a mod to summarize the 3 or 4 new pages, lock the topic and call the new one 'blah [Part 2]'.

Edit: The last few posts have been off topic, please lock

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtomek wrote:
Or at least lock and start a new thread when it gets to 4 pages or something. Some of the threads are so effing long that you don't know where to start if you want information that's relevent to the last month. It's a 60 page thread, so where do I start, page 50? 55? 58? Who knows?

The only thing I do know is that we rely on the OP going through all 60 pages and summarizing it for us. It would be much easier for a mod to summarize the 3 or 4 new pages, lock the topic and call the new one 'blah [Part 2]'.

Edit: The last few posts have been off topic, please lock

Um, so you're saying that mods should have to lock a thread every time it gets to page 4 because you're too lazy to read and look at dates?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fUNC wrote:
elmarko wrote:

But isn't this a community? Why should we have to rely on one person per thread to update us on new information? If someone finds out about some new songs, they shouldn't have to post it in one massive thread and wait for the OP to come back and update it nearly a day later. If that person just creates a new thread, not only will everyone be able to instantly see the new information, but that way there can be more discussion focused on that topic and it wouldn't keep the same old threads cluttered.

And it's not like there would be an overload of new threads or anything either. Look at the bottom of the Misc RB Discussion page. THe thread at the very bottom was last posted in on September 15th, nearly TEN DAYS ago.

I'm glad someone said something first, because I've felt this way for awhile, and there are probably many others who feel the same. A few days ago, I had a long busy day, and when I finally got home and checked this side of Score Hero, FOUR topics had been posted in over the course of that entire day. What does that say?
Pick up on some DLC I missed [ ]
5* + 250-streak on Llama Pro Drums [X]
Finish all Drums/Pro Drums goals [ ]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: hiddenzombie013 PSN Name: hiddenzombie013
Koenn  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiddenzombie013 wrote:
But isn't this a community? Why should we have to rely on one person per thread to update us on new information? If someone finds out about some new songs, they shouldn't have to post it in one massive thread and wait for the OP to come back and update it nearly a day later. If that person just creates a new thread, not only will everyone be able to instantly see the new information, but that way there can be more discussion focused on that topic and it wouldn't keep the same old threads cluttered.

And it's not like there would be an overload of new threads or anything either. Look at the bottom of the Misc RB Discussion page. THe thread at the very bottom was last posted in on September 15th, nearly TEN DAYS ago.

I'm glad someone said something first, because I've felt this way for awhile, and there are probably many others who feel the same. A few days ago, I had a long busy day, and when I finally got home and checked this side of Score Hero, FOUR topics had been posted in over the course of that entire day. What does that say?

Uh, not to interrupt the conversation or anything, but shouldn't this information be moved to the DLC Rumor Discussion thread until HMX confirms it?

ow, my cheek hurts from planting my tongue so firmly against it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: k0enn
mct  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiddenzombie013 wrote:

Well, I mentioned it a while ago, but as you may be able to guess, it went nearly unseen, being buried in one of the superthreads.

^ oh, and above post, lol ^
toymachine  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threads like this warrant discussion because it has been confirmed by a direct source (the original artist)

That's just my opinion.

HOWEVER

I do think that mega wishlist thread is a gigantic waste of time and I have discussed an alternative before with Phr34k much like Rock Band's Official Forums (Ultimate Setlist section). Whether that will ever come to fruition is a different story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Website Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: