FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
To all you real drummers out there

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DNA  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: To all you real drummers out there Reply with quote

I've started to learn real drums about 6 months ago and I'm getting moderately better at it. I've been playing Rock Band for about 2 years-ish and that really made me fall in love with drumming.

I found that the hardest thing for me when I started to play real drums was that I didn't have anything to look at while playing (like in Rock Band) which made it really hard for me to remember songs or to understand patterns. So here's what I did : I put my computer in front of my drumset and I go on YouTube to play videos of drum FCs on Rock Band (so I don't have anything missing except for the drum fills) and it makes it A LOT easier for me to play songs. I mean I can play songs I never could have without this.

So here's my question to you real experienced drummers out there : Should I continue doing this ?! Am I going to become dependant on visual tracks or is it going to have bad influence on my drum learning ?? I mean, it's not that much different from guitar or piano players looking at music scores while playing, is it !?

Anyway, any opinions would be great, I'm really looking to improve my drumming skills because I'm having so much fun!

P.S. I'm not looking to play in a band or anything, I'm mostly playing for fun and personal accomplishment!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I don't think it's that bad, as long as you still do work on stuff with non visual cues. It is the same thing as a bassist or guitarist or *insertotherinstrumenthere*ist looking at sheet music/tabs as they play. And if you're not looking to play in a band or anything, it's not even a problem really if you have to play from a visual thing for the first few playthroughs of a song.
DorkmasterFlek  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you really want to work on are recognizing certain patterns and beats. That's mostly what it's all about really. When you're playing RB, you have to follow exactly, but when you're playing along by yourself, you can improvise.
Everybody likes Boston on some level. They're like a soul detector. Most people don't know this, but vampire hunters carry a Talkboy containing a snippet of More Than A Feeling. Anyone who doesn't smile when they hear it gets staked on the spot. It works flawlessly.
marko34256  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i learned how to play (almost 10 years ago), I learned mostly using sheet music. at one point i was even using a Rush book with sheet music for a lot of their songs.

the main thing you got to get over is you don't "learn songs" on the drums in the same sense as you learn songs on guitar or most other instruments. you don't need to play a song note for note. as long as you keep time and use tasteful (not over the top) fills, you're doing it right. after a while you get to the point where you can turn the radio on to any song play your own part to it that sounds just as good.
nitemare  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your still new and your still feeling things out for your kit, than that is a great way to begin. Like you, i fell in love with drumming on RB and now i feel bad since i cant remember the last time i have actually played RB/GH. I started like you as well by watching charts and getting a feel for what to hit and when, but u can only use that so far. Eventually u will know your kit like the back of your hand and u will be able to pick out drum parts in songs. at least thats what happened to me. Like stated before, real drums can be awesome since u dont necessarily have to hit exactly what the music is doing, as long as u have a beat going, coming up with sweet fills is the fun part!

good luck in drumming. and if you do keep going and you get decent...join a band! its awesome...best thing i have done in last 5 years of my life...get up in front of people and blasting out beats is a great way to make some spare cash for all your hard work you have put into practicing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: immortalkz
spikie  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it quite similar, The best way to do it use it the first 2 or 5 times then take it away, Then play through a couple of times and then use the chart for that part if you struggle at all. just keep going through that process until you feel okay playing by ears

Goals:
[ ]1000 GS in all UK released RB games (Lego RB TBRB RB1 left) (TP2 ACDC RB2 done)
[ ]1000 GS in Guitar Hero Metallica
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: X Storm Trooper PSN Name: Storm-Iz-SiK
RustyWaffle  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a drummer for five years, I highly recommend not. It gives you complete tunnel vision and if you're ever looking to learn a song that's not in RB, you're pretty much screwed. Also, when you learn a song by ear, you get better and better at picking parts and patterns out (it's also more fun ^_^). I have had to learn songs that are from Rock Band but I refused to rely on the chart in order to figure it out, simply because you can make what you hear out of it (copying the general consensus of the other posts on this thread). It's much more fun to play it how you want to, and not how a video game wants to.

And about the part with the tabs. When you mention sheet music, that is completely different than playing along to RB when it comes to "cheating" or however you may want to call it. If you're doing a live performance as a drummer, you do not have a television with Rock Band running Tom Sawyer through practice mode. When you're doing a live performance as a pianist, usually they use sheet music because it's easier to recover at a certain point if you fuck up a measure or something. It's highly unlikely that you can follow a drum tab measure by measure just by sightreading it. I have only used drum tabs a couple times if I absolutely can't figure out what the pattern or fill is at all (RushRushRushRushRush).

My Drum Covers (Most recent: Muse - Stockholm Syndrome)
ShadoWolf wrote:
HellAshes wrote:
Everyone hates Nihilanth. I enjoyed making that guitar chart. D:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker
davidshek  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyWaffle wrote:
It's highly unlikely that you can follow a drum tab measure by measure just by sightreading it.

Sorry but as a drummer myself of 18 or so years, and a drum instructor too, I'm going to call bullshit on this. Of course you're not going to be sightreading sheet music when doing a live performance, that's the whole point of practicing it beforehand. Just about everyone who has ever taken drum lessons can tell you that they used sheet music at some point during their learning. And once you've been playing long enough, you CAN sightread sheet music really damn well.

Really, it all depends on what your goal is. If all you want to do is be able to figure out and play along with your favorite songs (which probably don't have charts in RB/GH), then there's nothing wrong with learning from the RB/GH charts at first just like you would from normal sheet music. But that comes with a caveat: As long as you're actually learning the patterns and rudiments, and not just being 100% dependent on the charts.

When I was in college, I played drums in the orchestra pit of several musicals; Little Shop of Horrors, A Chorus Line, Godspell, etc. For those kinds of performances, you CANNOT improvise. You HAVE to play exactly what is on the sheet music, and that's why every member of the pit has the music in front of them while they're playing, including the drummer.

But if you're in a band and writing your own music, or even playing in a cover band, of course there's a lot more leeway than that. You don't have to play cover songs exactly like they were recorded, and naturally you can write your own songs however you damn well please. So like I said earlier, it really all depends on what your goals in drumming for the future are. For now, there's nothing at all wrong with what you're doing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I think I'd suggest you try to break away from it. Especially if you're getting into drumming pretty well. I mean, if you think you'll do it for a while, you might not want to take on any sketchy habits.. And now would be a good time to try to avoid em, y'know?
Check out some of my guides:
Guide To Rasing SH Score Rank - http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73482&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I try to make electronic music: Http://www.myspace.com/soundteq
Almost 60 GH5 XFCs
RustyWaffle  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidshek wrote:
RustyWaffle wrote:
It's highly unlikely that you can follow a drum tab measure by measure just by sightreading it.

Sorry but as a drummer myself of 18 or so years, and a drum instructor too, I'm going to call bullshit on this. Of course you're not going to be sightreading sheet music when doing a live performance, that's the whole point of practicing it beforehand. Just about everyone who has ever taken drum lessons can tell you that they used sheet music at some point during their learning. And once you've been playing long enough, you CAN sightread sheet music really damn well.

I've been taking drum lessons for 5 years from a teacher who has degree in Jazz. I'm not talking about sightreading in something like high school percussion, since I have had experience with that. The sightreading I'm talking about is like sightreading drum tabs on a full set. I have used sheet music very early in my lessons when I was working with Ted Reed's syncopation, but I'm referring to drum TABS. I honestly think drum tabs are a lot harder to read than sheet music due to the fact that they are rarely of good quality and it's harder to distinguish which notes are 8th, 16th, etc. Again, I think drum tabs are also a bad habit to rely on as well as watching drum charts on youtube because they give you little leeway to try and do some improv on the fills. For example, I have done performances on songs that have some small, simple fills, but I wanted to change them up a little by flying in some of my experience with Progressive music.

My Drum Covers (Most recent: Muse - Stockholm Syndrome)
ShadoWolf wrote:
HellAshes wrote:
Everyone hates Nihilanth. I enjoyed making that guitar chart. D:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker
davidshek  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyWaffle wrote:
I'm referring to drum TABS.

Ok, but why? Nobody in this thread was talking about drum tabs until you brought it up. Most drum tabs that you find online are shite, I won't argue with that.

The OP was asking about RB charts, which when done well (like many of them actually are), are almost as good as real sheet music if you know how to interpret the colors properly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidshek wrote:
RustyWaffle wrote:
I'm referring to drum TABS.

Ok, but why? Nobody in this thread was talking about drum tabs until you brought it up. Most drum tabs that you find online are shite, I won't argue with that.

The OP was asking about RB charts, which when done well (like many of them actually are), are almost as good as real sheet music if you know how to interpret the colors properly.

Yes indeed! I too found that drum tabs on the net are pretty hard to figure out... So I found a little app that converts drum tabs directly to sheet music and that has greatly helped me!!

Anyway, I'm real happy about the arguments I'm hearing so far (on both sides). Keep 'em coming and please keep them objective !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say rather than following along while you play try watching the video before you play the song a couple of times. I've used RB or GH charts to see how songs go before when I can't quite figure it out, but I don't watch them while playing. I also like watching cover videos on YouTube to see how other people play. Anyway, I think it's best to not rely on anything while you play but instead use all the resources you can before you play (and after). Following charts while you play could also affect your ability to improvise. It's great to be able to play a song exactly as it goes, but you should also be able to mix it up or play well without any music - especially if you want to play in a band. And as others have said once you have played enough you get to the point where you can play along to pretty much anything on a first go - not perfectly, of course, but well enough to sound good and fit with the music.
GodRockr  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also been wanting to learn to play the real drums.

I only recently got myself a GH World Tour drumkit. I'm still learning, but I love it. It's just so much fun. And I know it can't be too different from the real thing

But my main problem with it is the kick pedal. I can't seem to move my foot in time with the notes coming down the screen.
nextneilpeart95  

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously don't recommend watching Youtube FCs while playing real drums. Personally, when I try to play a song, I envision an RB chart in my head, even if its not in RB. But I can also play by ear, so I guess I'm the only one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: