FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
DLC Week of 8/26 - Moving Pictures Full Album from Rush
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craventrio wrote:
The update that allows instrumentals was the music store update. It's been out for ages.

A lot of people have been saying this. Where, exactly, did this belief come from? (I'm assuming Harmonix must have said something and I missed it?)

Has there ever been any evidence that the music store means the game was suddenly prepared to support things like "Quickplay band can't select this song if Instrument X is in the band"?

The content was submitted - there's no reason to think this week would be different than any other in that regard. So there's no reason for a delay unless it can't be used in its current form. Unless there was a chart error, YYZ is the most likely candidate - it's the only thing that's different than any of the other 203 songs that have come down the pipeline.
craventrio  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeridotWeapon wrote:
craventrio wrote:
The update that allows instrumentals was the music store update. It's been out for ages.

A lot of people have been saying this. Where, exactly, did this belief come from? (I'm assuming Harmonix must have said something and I missed it?)

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72834&page=7
hmxspraynwipe wrote:
One of the secret features that we introduced in the Music Store patch was the ability to play "instrumental" songs. This means that the song itself doesn't have a vocal part, but does have all the other parts.

What does that mean for you? Well, it means you can't play YYZ as a vocalist because there's no vocal part. There's no leaderboards for Solo Vocal YYZ, no difficulty slot for it for vocals (in RB2, the notches disappear and it says "No Part", and if you try and play YYZ as a vocalist it'll remind you that this is an instrumental track.

Hope that clears things up!

PeridotWeapon wrote:
The content was submitted - there's no reason to think this week would be different than any other in that regard. So there's no reason for a delay unless it can't be used in its current form. Unless there was a chart error, YYZ is the most likely candidate - it's the only thing that's different than any of the other 203 songs that have come down the pipeline.

But IGN had played all the tracks. And surely HMX had played all the tracks before HMXJohnlok announced technical difficulties at midnight on Tuesday! I think something went wrong with the submission to MS in the drunken stupor of partying (or probably well before then, supposed to take ages to get certified by MS) or they have a last minute legal sort of problem. Legal sorts of problems have prevented DLC (one of the reasons the announcement is usually so late) and changed details in the retail game at the last minute before.

OK I'll concede that maybe they found some sort of last minute bug in the instrumental implementation that hadn't come up in the testing they'd done before and now we need another update before they can release it... but it would surely have to be a pretty serious bug to not release the DLC now and the patch to the game later. Or it could be to do with the song count going over 256... if it was programmed in an insane way and nobody ever thought to put all the songs they have on a test build before. Ah who knows.

Last edited by craventrio on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Twang  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only recall them saying the music store was updated to have a section for instrumentals. Nothing about that being the update for instrumentals being usable. For all we know, they programmed the game DISC to allow for it.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
craventrio  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twang wrote:
I only recall them saying the music store was updated to have a section for instrumentals. Nothing about that being the update for instrumentals being usable. For all we know, they programmed the game DISC to allow for it.

I know from looking at the game disc that they were testing instrumental songs before the game was released... don't know whether the engine they released on the game disc could handle them though.
Tempest  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twang wrote:

craventrio linked above to a post from spraynwipe about they telling people of the update.

Am I the only one who kind of has this very small suspicion that they might be trying to piece together a way to let vocalists stay in the song during YYZ, because of the shitstorm that's been stirred up?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempest wrote:
Am I the only one who kind of has this very small suspicion that they might be trying to piece together a way to let vocalists stay in the song during YYZ, because of the shitstorm that's been stirred up?

You're not the only one. I have a feeling that they would have had everything all worked out for an instrumental if they planned to release one, and would have done test after test after test to ensure everything was peachy. I really think they're working on a work-around for vocalists unless one of the following unlikely things happened:

1. Someone forgot to submit the content to Microsoft.
2. Rush backed out at the last minute.
3. Someone poured Mountain Dew on the computer with all the data in a fit of rage.
4. It was going to be the greatest RickRoll ever, but Astley backed out at the last minute.
5. Someone accidentally forgot to differentiate between the two Limelights or Tom Sawyers, so the game would be unable to handle them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredvonKarma wrote:

4. It was going to be the greatest RickRoll ever, but Astley backed out at the last minute.

The hilarious thing would be, you'd be the one playing the drum intro when you find out (assuming they disguised it as something else), so in a sense, you'd be rick rolling yourself.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
Avagar  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredvonKarma wrote:

I'd be really happy if that were the case.

/on topic

A work-around for vocalists could be the suspect, but it seems odd that they would wait till the very last second to do it.
ShiftBreaker  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that odd that they'd have to work round it at the last minute. After all, they only released the information about the song going up last thursday, and the complaints came flooding in, so that means they would have had to tweak it, and submit it. and they couldn't hold back on YYZ or it wouldn't be a complete album.

Alternatively, the sheer bass-ness of Duran Duran AND a whole Rush album 2 weeks in a row means that they had to restain its power before it injures XBox Live.

Just be lucky that it wasn't a 3 song Duran Duran Pack, or you may have got the RRoD just by downloading Rush this week.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredvonKarma wrote:

5. Someone accidentally forgot to differentiate between the two Limelights or Tom Sawyers, so the game would be unable to handle them.

This is my theory
Icemage  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valioso wrote:
ManfredvonKarma wrote:

This is my theory

IGN already played the entire album in their DLC review, so that theory doesn't wash.

I still think it's a YYZ workaround for vocals. IGN's review indicates that there's nothing physically wrong with the DLC files as they were originally made. They were able to play every song without any problems, so either something is screwed up on XBL or something was changed in the DLC files themselves that made whatever IGN reviewed invalid.

If Thursday afternoon rolls around and PSN picks up the album while XBL still doesn't have it, then we can conclude that the problem is on Microsoft's end.

If the DLC gets delayed on both services, it would indicate that something was indeed changed at the last minute.

And if vocalists can join bands in online/local play for YYZ in the finished product, then we'll know for sure why it was delayed.
FoxNtd  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:

And if vocalists can join bands in online/local play for YYZ in the finished product, then we'll know for sure why it was delayed.

So would that mean the percentage and phrase streak at the stats screen get replaced with "N/A"? Haha imagine a FB "FC" reading 100%/100%/N/A/100%.
BShea  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:

If Thursday afternoon rolls around and PSN picks up the album while XBL still doesn't have it, then we can conclude that the problem is on Microsoft's end.

If the DLC gets delayed on both services, it would indicate that something was indeed changed at the last minute.

Excellent. The moment of truth is upon us.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONT DO IT MICROSOFT. NOOOOOOOO! NEED MOAR YYZ. *shivers*
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
nitemare  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i hope they are doing it where you can include a vocalist..it just didnt sound right to not be able to have one...even if they would just stand there...at least they would be part of the band if they wish to...or take a piss, it wouldnt matter but i think they should include them in no matter what
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: immortalkz
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 22 of 23

Jump to: