FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Drum "Hero" Simulator for PC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MastaShake  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Drum "Hero" Simulator for PC Reply with quote

Hey guys, I am new to the forums.

I've checked out Unsigned-Game and it looks really promising and awesome..but I kinda wanted just drum hero by itself. Sure you can use DTXMania or code a custom song for Frets on Fire.

I decided to write my own. It took me a couple of hours after work. The problem is I am not a designer I am also not a 3D game developer. It also doesnt support any charts. What you do is, you load the song you want to chart and you play along to it and it saves all of your drumming to the song and creates a chart from that, that other people can play to.

I may have a video for you guys tomorrow night. Its too late here in NYC and I got work.

Was just curious if its worth it to pursue this or not? Should i spend my time, since I hear someone already has something like this but is just not releasing it

night guys.
Enter77  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have to download it or is it on a website? If it was not neccesary to download I would try it out it seems fun.

Expert drums career score goals RB1:
9.5 Mil. [X] | 10 Mil. [X] | 10.5 Mil. []
thespike  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's charting as the song goes only? No offense but it sounds like a bad idea. Especially for drums.

And Unsigned is the same thing as this, it has drums in, supports .charts and has good graphics and multiplayer.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ignthespike1
MastaShake  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All valid and fair points.

Let me just clarify myself, since I wrote my last post very late and was probably not as clear as I should have been.

First and foremost, this project is for my own self education, curiosity, fun and experience.

Secondly, it doesn't support .chart only because I didn't code it yet, i JUST started on it and only spent about 5 hours coding it. Integrating with .chart is not one of my main concerns..the game logic is.

Charting while the song is playing will let you lay down a rough sketch of what you want, you will then be able to go back and drag notes to further sync with the song as you wish. You will be able to cut/copy/paste and move around the notes as you wish. This ability will also allow drumming teachers interact with their students better, since you can record your own beat (it will have freeflow drumming like a drum machine). Once you record your own beat you can have someone else replay it, or you can save it so you never forget it . Or export it as sound file.

Obviously the drum is just an xbox controller, all other controllers can be used to chart as well. Meaning you can use the guitar to chart a guitar song and export it .chart if you wanted to.

I am also planning Wii support.

I also wanted to code this as a proof of concept (to myself) as a generic game. What that means is, it will allow you to create your own playback or recording screens. For instance if someone wanted to create a Vocal Rythm game all they would have to do is implement one of my interfaces. One to chart and one to playback. Btw vocal rythm games with vowel recognition can be implemented with Vista Speech Recognition SDK (i havent looked but its worth a thought).

Same thing with device support, if you want to support some sort of homebrew device you made you will be able to do so by implementing one of the device interfaces that the game will understand.

You will then be able to give these mods out to the public who will just have to snap it in. This also includes skins.

Unsigned is a great great game and I will keep my code open-source to the creator of Unsigned since we used altogether different algorithms and methods of doing this. Its also open to anyone who is interested to look at the code.

The game is 2D simply because, I dont know about you but I dont really care for the party going on behind the fretboard on some stage. Stripping that out will allow slower computers and weaker graphic cards enjoy the game lag free(I hope).

Anyway if this is not welcome here, I will keep it strictly on my blog. I welcome all comments, suggestions, ideas and criticism.

Shake.
thespike  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I was thinking that the only way to chart was in real time and you couldn't change stuff around. Looking forward to seeing something.

Is it down scrolling like DDR?
http://www.youtube.com/user/ignthespike1
evilgoat  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have mixed opinions, but I'd love to see the program before making any judgment calls. It sounds promising. Any attempts to improve our rhythm gaming experience as a community is appreciated. Any linkage?

XBL ragnartheawful PSN Ragnar_the_Awful
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: ragnartheawful PSN Name: Ragnar_the_Awful
crzisme  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the Link to your Blog?
freeqaz  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owning a business is hard work. If you need any tech advise, you can reach me at contact@nsgeek.net or check us out on the web at http://nsgeek.net . We specialize in Web Design and Computer Repair. Aloha!

Last edited by freeqaz on Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
luminousnerd  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a very fun project. I'm a professional graphic/web designer.

What are you coding this with? Can you port it to Mac easily?

If Mac compatibility is something you're willing to do, then I can help with (2D) graphics.
When is Didgeridoo Hero coming out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger PSN Name: luminerd
Fissional  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds awesome and exactly like something ive been wanting, I always thought it would be easier to chart song by simply playing along with it real time and then fine tuning your base. I would love to get this to start my way into the charting scene.
Blacklabel  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Can also help with any 2d imaging. im not the greatest but im ok. not pro

144 Drum GS's
http://tinypic.com/1r5162dg - I made The Platinum Icons
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Mystix Ninja PSN Name: Blacklabel22
FortisVenaliter  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: Apologies, confused with someone else

Can't wait to see where this goes!

Regards,
FortisVenaliter

Developer of Unsigned
Unsigned Forums

[X] Get Unsigned up
[_] Get Unsigned online
[_] Get Unsigned Vocals working
[_] Sleep
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: FortisVenater
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: