FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Serious Questions about YouTube and Copyright

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtreme2252  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Serious Questions about YouTube and Copyright Reply with quote

Hey guys, I used to be pretty active with Rock Band back in the day, especially on vocals, and I'm excited for Rock Band 4. The problem is is that I'm now more aware of how YouTube is with copyright issues, and I'm wanting to avoid any copyright strikes or termination even to my alternate YouTube account. I was wondering, do any of you actually get permissions from artists and/or record labels before putting up your videos, and how easy/hard is it for you guys to do that? Most of these artists and bands only have a Twitter as a means of contacting them, and same with most record labels. Honestly, the only ones I seemed to get permission from were Jonathan Coulton (anyone's allowed to use his stuff, just not monetize it), and Bumblefoot. So do you guys, even the big stars like iHomer and UKOGmonkey or whatever bother with this, or do you guys just put the stuff up without worry? I know other famous rhythm gamers like Azuritereaction and even GuitarHeroPhenom had many issues with copyright, and I want to take the same precautions that they have taken.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Xtreme2252
iimeade  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering ERG is (still!) uploading a new FBFC every day, I think you're good.

parzrevenge wrote:
stop trying to be pieman 2015
PuppetMaster9  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on YouTube for five years, and I have never gotten a strike. At worst, I've had videos blocked worldwide (specifically my "Crazy Train" videos and a "South Side of the Sky" drums FC I tried posting a few years back). As long as you don't monetize the videos, that is most likely the harshest extent of what you have to worry about, and I assure you that will only happen once in a blue moon.

YouTube | Twitch | RB Acc (3/16/17) | GH Acc (9/8/15) | Rock Band 3 OMB FGFC Stats: G:82 / B:83 / D:82 / V: 83 / K:63
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PuppetMaster9 PSN Name: PuppeteerIX Wii Friend Code: 6319868195290957
slashn0  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I have videos up from 2007 (me playing when I was six, lol) to now, about 450 videos total, and none of them have ever gotten worse than getting blocked in a few countries. I think one or two may have gotten blocked worldwide, but I'm not sure about that.

Guitar Hero + Rock Band Expert Drums Dual FSFC - September 21st, 2017
10,000 unique expert GH/RB FCs - May 18th, 2022
Videos: http://www.YouTube.com/dayzeed
FC spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/FCs
Proud lefty who conformed to right-handed mode... show some respect! ;)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: slashno PSN Name: slashno
xtreme2252  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even getting blocked worldwide can remove features, such as posting videos longer than 15 minutes. I think I'll play it safe and keep my copyrighted material on my separate Rhythm Gaming channel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Xtreme2252
PuppetMaster9  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtreme2252 wrote:
Even getting blocked worldwide can remove features, such as posting videos longer than 15 minutes.

For what it's worth, I have at least six videos blocked worldwide and many more blocked in foreign countries, but still have all of my features intact, 15+ minute uploads included.

YouTube | Twitch | RB Acc (3/16/17) | GH Acc (9/8/15) | Rock Band 3 OMB FGFC Stats: G:82 / B:83 / D:82 / V: 83 / K:63
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PuppetMaster9 PSN Name: PuppeteerIX Wii Friend Code: 6319868195290957
espher  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I've got 939 videos on the RBHP channel, of which I think four were blocked 100% (one I disputed successfully as a test, but I didn't want to risk it with the others). No loss of permissions on mine.

Project Lead for the Rock Band: Harmonies Project || http://tiny.cc/RBHarmonies
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EspherM ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: