FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Impressions of Rock Band - A threat to Guitar Hero?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyMash  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Impressions of Rock Band - A threat to Guitar Hero? Reply with quote

After watching at some RB vids and features, I find that it will be a huge threat to Guitar Hero. The drums look kick ass, the guitar looks nice (Not better than the GHIII though) and the gameplay will capture eyes. My mate got to play RB and he said that it is 3x what GH is due to the multiplayer and playing with mates, mucking around.

What Neversoft have to do is to make A WHOLE LOT of Downloadable Content to counter the RB "album every week" They must also make it accessable to everyone, start putting it out everywhere, showing it off and most importantly, show why this product will appeal more than RB.

The songs look good, but I think the songs are a lot better in GHIII. (But more GH songs have been announced, and they save the best for last).This is the core element because everyone wants good songs that will appeal to them.

The graphics are good on both consoles (GH win this) but they are neally the same and am surprised with the jump from GHII to GHIII graphics.

But the appeal is favouring Rock Band. After reading articles, they may have the upper hand due to them having Bass/Drums/Vocal/Lead while GH have Guitar/Nothing. Everyone is favouring RB (Which I agree with)

I feel Rock Band may win this round in reviews, but not in sales (Due to the price) but Neversoft will learn (Because it's they're first time; you have got to cut them some slack) What they need is more ideas other than just guitar (It sounds stupid changing it, but if they do nothing, RB will become what GH had done in 05/06.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Guitar Hero 3 can compete just fine against Rock Band and personally I hope they never add any other instruments. I won't be buying Rock Band, and that is because I think with all the other instruments they are having to build systems and chart songs for, the guitar portion isn't getting as much attention, which really, if I bought Rock Band, would be all I played anyway.

So for now, I'm going to stick solely with Guitar Hero 3, which I think is a smart, cheap decision for the time being.

Deimos wrote:
"~WeeDSk8r420's~Pot~Page~
b08smith  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drums drums drums!!

All I have to say, RB will rock!

RLKDragon  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of how the finished product turns out, I will be glad to support it and Neversoft in their attempt. From what I tried when the Rock Band tour came to NIU, the guitar felt awesome, the drums were a little hard to master but still fun, and the vocals were fun as well. I can't wait to buy this game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: RLKDragon
valioso  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be getting the RB game only, until I can buy a drum kit separate... maybe.
Kelthink  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see RB stealing the crown (even though it would be stealing from itself, theoretically). Loads of people are crowing about GHIII having 'better soundtrack' or 'better notecharts', but if you're going to sell either one to a lay person, RB wins every time. "You can play the drums!", "You can sing!" "Other instruments!", "Generally bigger name bands!" and "More well-known songs!". I'm hoping there's room for both, but I'm not sure myself.

Update scores in list: [ ]

That's it
Rubicante  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they complement each other nicely the more I think about it. Challenging vocals and drums in Rock Band and challenging guitar in GUitar Hero. Some of the GH instrumentals are my fav songs in the games, such as Gemini and YYZ.
mr-apples  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we get caught up too much in these adversarial relationships. Honestly, both games have built up such hype/reputation that they're going to co-exist for a long time.

Sure I'm pulling for Rock Band, but I also realize that GH3 has some pretty good ideas sprinkled in it and fun song selections.

Competition from GH is GOOD for Rock Band... you don't think that seeing GH with the bigger setlist wasn't cause for Rock Band to bump its setlist from 40 to 45 ? The consumer wins.
kckondor  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that both games will be great and for different reasons to different people.

There is no question that when it comes to multiplayer, Rock band has the overwhelming edge. But for people like me who can barely find anybody to play co-op GH with, it isn't as big of a selling factor. So obviously single player is much more important to me. Also being a PS2 user weights heavily since both online play and DLC are out.

The biggest factors for me (although I plan to get both eventually) are the songs and cost. And as of right now, my preference is for the GH3 setlist. And this isn't a GH3 songs rule, RB songs suck kinda of thing, I'm just more excited about some of the songs on GH3 than I am about RB.

I will probably wait to buy Rockband until individual instruments are available, since I already own two guitars, and a mic, leaving only the drums. Hopefully this is sooner than later.

On the topic of DLC, I was trying to think of a way for PS2 users to get in on the action. If both games are really going to have as much DLC as they say they will, I don't see any reason why periodically they couldn't just compile 10 or 20 of them and ship it out as an expansion pack sort of. Granted it would take away some of the choice that next-gen users would get, as well as having the inconvience of changing discs, but I think something like that would sell wouldn't it? Or to take it a step further they could possibly offer custom discs, that can be ordered from Harmonix or Red Octane. Maybe there would be a minimum # of songs per disc, but they would leave the choice to you.

What do you all think?
FrankieB  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock Band will definitely not destroy GH3, and vice versa. The fan base for GH will obviously embrace III just as much as II and the 80's, but once those drums and guitars start to get set up at Best Buy's and gaming stores all across the world, people will be intrigued once again just as we were with Guitar Hero, and will subsequently be addicted.

The real question is whether or not both games will cooperate and let each others peripherals work with each others games. If they don't then I'll be throughly disappointed because I'd love to use the new Les Paul for bass on Rock Band, but we will see. I don't think either game is going to do poorly because of the other, if anything they will do just as well if not better because of the other.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: FRANK1E B
evanft  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Rock Band seems to need four people to really reach its greatness potential (is world tour confirmed multiplayer only, BTW?). Setting that up could be a real problem, especially for PS2 owners. Plus, it's $160-$170. Some people, like myself, just want to buy one of the instruments, as they already own guitars. Personally, I'd be in day 1 if they did a drum+game bundle for the PS2 for $80-$90, but there's no way in hell I'm going to spend $160 for something where I know I won't be needing 2/3 of the included controllers. And then there's the fact that the other instrument I would be interested in playing in the game, the guitar, seems to be much easier and not up to the same level as in GH2 or GH3.

So basically, for me, I don't want to pay $160 for what is essentially Drum Hero.

When the notes come by, play them on the guitar. Don''t fail by the end of the song.
Barfo  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres tons of market room for two games that each have their own niche - RB seems to be goign for the multiplayer, lots of variety, do-many-things-well approach - whereas GH can carve out the do one thing and do it completely awesomely / fantastic solo game to pour over. Now id love to see nsft filch the RPG ideas for career to put into GH4, but with a single player focus (esp if it ens up RB RPG mode is locked out of single player)

But i also disagree with you that the way to counter RB's DLC every week thing is to release a ton of DLC too. Honestly, thought he DLC thing sounds nice (and htere are pretty decent profit margins on it), i think that the greater sales you get from a disc game offset that (compare GH80s to the DLC so far). I mean they (RO) should keep releasing some DLC just to appease the people who are so tied to the idea of it, but i think they should work like crazy to put out a fully sized (40 main setlist + bonus songs) expansion for start of summer using the GH3 engine and some new graphical things (but come on guys lets throw in at least a couple new venues, guitars, and characters), as ell as workign to make sure GH4 can be the biggest yet (80+ songs) and hit in october 08 again, and if they can release both those and sell 2-3 M copies of each thats way more money that they can make than just selling some new DLC every week (also i expect they get a better profit margin when they are distributing themself rather than giving MS a cut for the servers and i expect the labels get a larger, iTunes size portion of the money from DLC). I mean as successful as RB's hundreds of possible downloads are goign ot be, im not convinced thats really the path to better overall profits compared to trying to put less time between full disc releases.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This got randomly dug up by a spam bot..interesting historical read in light of all that happened afterward.
inv4der  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
This got randomly dug up by a spam bot..interesting historical read in light of all that happened afterward.

It certainly is interesting to see this with 8 years of perspective.

Maybe RB will someday be a threat to GH again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm perfectly happy with GHIII, nice try Harmonix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: