FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Configuring drum voices for your songs (for fills, etc.)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoopyChew  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Configuring drum voices for your songs (for fills, etc.) Reply with quote

After posing a question about it on Creators and not getting a response, and then subsequently discovering Le Fluffie for RB3 to get some custom solo tonic action going, I eventually and completely accidentally came across the custom drum voices while poking through some of the RB3-era stuff ("Frankenstein," specifically. Long, boring story for that.) Having decided after reading various vague posts on Twitter that I'd need something to take my mind off after Game of Thrones this week, I decided to start spading once the credits started rolling.

Breaking down the Blitz pack in testing my theory out, where's what I came up with. In order to get different drum voices, you need to add this line somewhere into the song metadata in songs.dta, on the first level (typically after the tambourine bank line):

Code:
(drum_bank sfx/kit0#_bank.milo)

That # changes depending on the drum kit you're using. There are, as far as I can tell, five drum kit sets available, and wouldn’t you know it--they correspond to the voice kits you get in “Drum Freestyle,” and are even listed in the same order:
    Kit01 - Hard Rock kit: The default. If you don’t have drum voice metadata, it defaults to this ("Spoonman," for example, doesn't have this information, not even in its Blitz incarnation).
    Kit02 - Arena kit: A bit more echo-y. I imagine it’d be great with, as suggested by its name, bigger arena bands like Boston.
    Kit03 - Vintage kit: A tighter, softer-hitting snare drum sound. Probably best for softer songs from the 60s and 70s (e.g. the Zombies, Simon & Garfunkel).
    Kit04 - Trashy kit: Good for really hard-hitting snare shots. I think it'd be great with songs like "Kickstart My Heart."
    Kit05 - Electronic kit: Pretty much what it says. Use it when you're dealing with TS-808-style loops (I imagine I'll try to implement it in "Bulletproof" and "Science Genius Girl" when I can).

I haven't done proof of concept because I don't have a free PC that can run Le Fluffie/Party Buffalo/etc. until the weekends (or my laptop comes back from the shop), so I can't say with 100% certainty that this is going to work on legacy DLC/RBN songs. But I figure if we can get tonic and harmony information working on those songs, they probably wouldn't seek to exclude drum voice metadata, either.

It's one line, and not something I've seen a lot of people ask for, something people even mention when breaking down songs.dta. At the same time, I feel like the stock patch can take you out of the song a bit sometimes when you're playing a song that doesn't fit it.

I hope someone else benefits from this most random piece of information. :-)
espher  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here comes another 7000 RBHP variants!

Project Lead for the Rock Band: Harmonies Project || http://tiny.cc/RBHarmonies
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EspherM ICQ Number
LoopyChew  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

espher wrote:
And here comes another 7000 RBHP variants!

Not all coming from me, that's for sure! I can only rebuild my cache so many times.
Oddbrother  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only the drum bank wasn't restricted to whole kits.
LoopyChew  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone still cares, here's a Proof of Concept video. No, I'm not gonna actually use the electronic drum kit for Boston songs, but I figure, what the hell.
Koetsu  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was actually well know by now. The same can be done with vocal tambourine sections..
LoopyChew  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably is, but a google search for "drum_bank" "sfx_kit" turned up absolutely nothing, unlike other flags in songs.dta.
Koetsu  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoopyChew wrote:
Probably is, but a google search for "drum_bank" "sfx_kit" turned up absolutely nothing, unlike other flags in songs.dta.

Here are a bunch of variables the game supports.
http://pastebin.com/7vdqJSAq

There are all the fail cues and drum kits, too.
trojannemo  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is also natively supported in Magma: C3 Roks edition, so new customs can be created with all this good stuff already baked in :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: