FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Creating an audio file for Louder Than Bombs and Eternity achievement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chillywillyjuice  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Creating an audio file for Louder Than Bombs and Eternity ac Reply with quote

I'm trying to create an audio file that will accurately hit all drum kick notes in the GD:RB song "Brain Stew / Jaded," as per the Louder Than Bombs and Eternity achievement. As you may already know, the GH:WT drum set, unlike any RB sets, uses a piezo vibration sensor to register bass drum hits. Others have discovered that instead of using the GH:WT foot pedal, you can plug your computer into the drum set (using a 3.5 mm male-male cable) and play sound to register the kicks. This type of solution has already been done for the Bloody Feet achievement in Smash Hits.

With this knowledge and the knowledge that the Louder Than Bombs and Eternity achievement can be unlocked with the "no fail" option turned on, my first thought was to simply loop a single note in Audacity. However, I soon realized there was an apparent threshold for the number of extra hits (aka over-hits) the game will allow you to have. Once you reach that threshold, the game will simply stop counting any of the drum kicks, for achievement purposes anyways. It appeared as if I was hitting every single drum kick in the song, and I was able to confirm this from my score. The total number of kicks in the song is 602. Multiply that by 25 points for each one and you get a final score of 15,050. I was consistently hitting this exact score, yet, according to the achievement menu, I was only hitting 61% of the kick notes. To test my theory about a "threshold" of over-hits, I decided to actually play the first half of the song (the easy Brain Stew section), hitting only the kick notes. During the transition to Jaded, I switched out the pedal for my computer with the looping bass note. After the song finished, I checked my progress in the achievement menu. My hit % had gone up to over 70%.

Since my simple solution of a repeating note in Audacity didn't work, I thought people on Scorehero - with your wealth of knowledge on creating custom songs and countless other modding projects - might have some excellent ideas of how to go about creating a bass drum audio file that will match perfectly with the song.

Disclaimer: I'm a newbie when it comes to anything related to midi files, note charts, and most other terminology/software that potentially applies to this topic. If you don't mind, please break down any ideas/suggestions to their simplest form possible so I might be able to understand you. Thanks in advance for any help!
espher  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like this sort of exploiting, but, uh... why aren't you using the PART DRUMS chart .mid?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: EspherM ICQ Number
Chillywillyjuice  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How/where would I obtain that file? Sorry for my lack of experience with this stuff.
trojannemo  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my suggestion would be one of two. i prefer #2, but it's more complex. so let's start with #1.

#1 is what espher is suggesting. you can search anywhere pretty much, and get the song's midi file. i know for a fact bluzer has all the Green Day songs with audio stems and midi files available in FretsonFire.net/forums.

then you open the midi, delete all charts except the PART DRUMS chart, then open the PART DRUMS chart, and delete everything except the kick pedal gems. you can then turn on the REA Synth FX in Reaper, and press play...and your computer will be playing exactly the drum notes as they will show up in game as midi sounds. according to you, that would work.

#2 is a much more surefire way of getting things to work, but you need to have a MIDI-Pro adapter, a USB-MIDI adapter, and a lot more knowledge of Reaper. if you think you have these then let me know and I can give you the instruction. essentially, you wouldn't get 100% of the kick notes, you would get 100% of the drum chart altogether.

what i'm more interested on is, where is this goal? is this in RB3?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: TrojanNemo
Chillywillyjuice  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, trojannemo. I am currently trying to locate the song's midi file and will then attempt to follow your first suggestion.

As for your question, I am hoping to use this file to unlock an Xbox 360 achievement in Green Day: Rock Band. If I am successful with this project, I will be looking into doing something similar for the achievement "A Very Troubled Youngster". Your second suggestion might be especially useful for that achievement, which is unlocked after completing all of Tre's Greatest Hits.

Edit: Found bluzer's files here. What program should I use to edit the files? I might be able to simply use the drums_1.ogg file, which sounds like it is simply the bass drum and hi hat (or other cymbal). However, I'm not sure the cymbals are even loud enough that they will register when I hook up my computer to the drum set. I might be able to simply play the .ogg the way it is using Audacity.
xKBMxZERO  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever get the audio file solution to work.
randy2727  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have been working on a project very similar to this one in an attempt to get the same achievement. I have isolated the part drums.mid file and have opened it in Reaper. I connect my PC to my drums with a USB to MIDI cable, assign the USB to MIDI cable as the track's output device, and then connect the output to my drum's input. However, when I play the file back the light on my cable flashes indicating that there is an output but nothing is happening in the game. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Crandy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: