FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Lefty Playing on Right: Tips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skyzorz  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Lefty Playing on Right: Tips? Reply with quote

I am left handed so it kinda makes some parts of some songs pretty difficult to do. I've learned some techniques that help me. What are some tips that you can give me to help me?

Also the reason I play on righty is because that's how I began playing. I am used it. lol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've gotten used to playing righty, what kind of stuff are you having trouble with? You're going to need to be more specific before we can really help you.
Pas26  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be better at fretting and having trouble strumming. There's nothing to it: practice a lot. It's going to be pretty hard tho.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pas26 wrote:
You should be better at fretting and having trouble strumming. There's nothing to it: practice a lot. It's going to be pretty hard tho.

It's the drum section tho, so I suppose he is playing righty drums.

As said above, more information would be good.
Skyzorz  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some parts where I am always off by one. So I have to try to high with my left hand twice like.. LLRLRLRLRLRL. It basically always has to end with me right hand open so I can hit anything after without any trouble. It's hard to explain. I hope you get what I mean.

Another example would be when something like this.. YYBBGG happens really fast. I would need to hit it the YY with my left hand. Is there any why to make this easier on me?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or am I doing it how I should be doing it as a lefty playing righty and just need to practice it more?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLABLAFU wrote:
Pas26 wrote:

Hmmmm answered too fast :s

Still, your problems should be similar; more control over your dominant hand, obviously. The only way to improve over it is to slow down the sections you have trouble with and focus on learning what is currently very awkward to do. Force yourself to do these unnatural stickings for extended amount of time until you get them down. Focus on your whole right arm and try to figure out which part of it arent responding like you'd want to, and concentrate really hard on forcing yourself to move correctly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the problem is that because you're Left Hand Dominant, you're starting rolls with your left that should be natural sticking (and thus started on the right), which means you either need to double stroke at some point, or start with your weak hand, or crossover.

Example:

Imagine the roll went down the pads in this direction (ignore the colours) -
Now you're currently sticking it like this:
LLRLRLRL
Which is counter-intuitive, given that you play righty.

Try sticking it like this:

RLRLRLRL

Any other way would require crossing over, or a double stroke somewhere in the roll, which you seem adverse to, given the topic matter.

Off topic: I feel kinda crazy giving advice to a guy I used to think was so far above my level in drumming I love Scorehero. I once thought I'd never get a Hysteria Drum FC, and when I saw you did it, I thought it was an unattainable goal for me Thanks for being somewhat inspirational, dude
Look, someone actually had to point out that singing "solo" meant singing alone. This is why we allow people to work registers at McDonald's that can't make change and it makes me want to run my face under a belt sander. For the love of tits, how can you be on the internet in 2012 and not think "maybe I can Google this word I should have learned in first grade before making a thread about it".
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ShadoWolf2971
Skyzorz  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pas26 wrote:
BLABLAFU wrote:
Pas26 wrote:

Hmmmm answered too fast :s

Still, your problems should be similar; more control over your dominant hand, obviously. The only way to improve over it is to slow down the sections you have trouble with and focus on learning what is currently very awkward to do. Force yourself to do these unnatural stickings for extended amount of time until you get them down. Focus on your whole right arm and try to figure out which part of it arent responding like you'd want to, and concentrate really hard on forcing yourself to move correctly.

Yeah, I think that's a good idea. I appreciate the advice!

ShadoWolf wrote:
Maybe the problem is that because you're Left Hand Dominant, you're starting rolls with your left that should be natural sticking (and thus started on the right), which means you either need to double stroke at some point, or start with your weak hand, or crossover.

Example:

Imagine the roll went down the pads in this direction (ignore the colours) -
Now you're currently sticking it like this:
LLRLRLRL
Which is counter-intuitive, given that you play righty.

Try sticking it like this:

RLRLRLRL

Any other way would require crossing over, or a double stroke somewhere in the roll, which you seem adverse to, given the topic matter.

Off topic: I feel kinda crazy giving advice to a guy I used to think was so far above my level in drumming I love Scorehero. I once thought I'd never get a Hysteria Drum FC, and when I saw you did it, I thought it was an unattainable goal for me Thanks for being somewhat inspirational, dude

I usually double stroke at the beginning to get it out the way. But sometimes I end up doing it last with my right hand. Sorta like this... LRLRLRLRRR the last R is a green note that usually follows most sections. On the bright side it works on my speed. lol

Yeah, so I probably need to need to what Pas26 said. Need to force myself to start off with my right hand at some parts by slowing it down in practice mode. I really appreciate the advice.

And it surprises someone somewhat looked up to me. I am such an average player. But hey do you think I should restart my accomplishment thread? I've gotten a lot better since I started playing again. :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyzorz wrote:
But hey do you think I should restart my accomplishment thread?
Yes.
Look, someone actually had to point out that singing "solo" meant singing alone. This is why we allow people to work registers at McDonald's that can't make change and it makes me want to run my face under a belt sander. For the love of tits, how can you be on the internet in 2012 and not think "maybe I can Google this word I should have learned in first grade before making a thread about it".
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: ShadoWolf2971
Skyzorz  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadoWolf wrote:
Skyzorz wrote:
But hey do you think I should restart my accomplishment thread?
Yes.

Going to start reviving it tonight. Just posted a video to hold things over. Nothing special. lol

I have another question for everyone. Nothing to do with lefty or right. How do you keep Rhythm during a song with a lot of bass notes. Fast bass notes that have notes in between. Sleepwalker is a good example of that. Albeit not very fast bass note wise but has notes in between every other bass note.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in the case of sleepwalker, both your hands and feet are (for the verse riffs at least) holding two very steady and simple patterns.

Your hands are doing eighth notes with the usual accents, with simply 8th triplets underneath. So just let your hands go on auto-pilot and focus mostly on the bass pedal pattern, and try listening to it closely as well (though your hands do change pattern so don't completely ignore them).

Now if we're talking about a song like Eden? Ya that just takes time, groove and limb independence.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: