FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New To Vox Looking for Some Advice for RB3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vkw619  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: New To Vox Looking for Some Advice for RB3 Reply with quote

Okay hello everyone. I have done some vox here and there for fun and well I think I might want to get a bit more into it.

Now for my birthday this last week I received a nice pair of Turtle Beach DPX21s along with a Midi Pro adapter for my drum kit. So I decided why not try to do some vox drumming? Well I ran into a few problems (I understand this is more focused to the multitasking side of Technique but I have a vox specific question)

Why the heck can't I activate? I've seemed to realize that RB3 hates activating for some reason. I was doing some drumming tonight and vox and I was screaming (I couldn't tell at the time due to being frustrated with the game just refusing to activate) and ended up almost getting in some massive trouble but I just didn't get why it wouldn't activate no matter what I did. I tried blowing into the mic, yelling loudly, and just about anything else I can think of. Now I was wondering what if any are there good ways to activate in Rock Band 3? I've played some solo vox just messing around not to long ago and seemed to have trouble activating but it wasn't to bad but trying to do Vox Drums it seemed impossible.

Any suggestions on activating in RB3 in general? Thanks all
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: vkw619
TimEbaysball  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the same headphones. I know i'm going to get into VoxDrumming too eventually once I finish up everything I have on PRO Drums first. There have been lots of issues with people activating on vocals. That's why with the latest patch they made it to where you can activate using the back or select button. While this doesn't seem to be an option while VoxDrumming, that does bring up a good question on what the best way to activate is. Maybe you can try activating by hitting the back/select button with your left toe

The reason why your having such a hard time activating when VoxDrumming probably is because the headset is picking up the sounds of your drumming. It's been harder for some people than others when it comes to activating normally. If your playing solo though I would just use the back/select button.

Let me know if you figure out anything for activating on VoxDrums for when I eventually start doing that in RB3.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're voxdrumming, the microphone is probably picking up the noise spiking from you hitting your drum kit, which in turn makes it almost impossible to activate overdrive using noise.

Yes, it's stupid, but that's the way the ball bounces in RB3. Maybe some sort of controller mod that treats a pedal like the Select/Back button might work, but I have no idea where to even begin attempting something like that.
vkw619  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
If you're voxdrumming, the microphone is probably picking up the noise spiking from you hitting your drum kit, which in turn makes it almost impossible to activate overdrive using noise.

Yes, it's stupid, but that's the way the ball bounces in RB3. Maybe some sort of controller mod that treats a pedal like the Select/Back button might work, but I have no idea where to even begin attempting something like that.

The thing about it is that I tried drumming like normal and it didn't seem to register anything as far as the arrow showing up or if it did it was very faded. Seems like the engine itself. Heck I was playing in a FB setting at a birthday party and no matter what I do it just doesn't happen there has to be some sort of noise or something to get it go activate or something that would be better for anything other than straight solo vox
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: vkw619
Icemage  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vkw619 wrote:
Icemage wrote:

The thing about it is that I tried drumming like normal and it didn't seem to register anything as far as the arrow showing up or if it did it was very faded. Seems like the engine itself. Heck I was playing in a FB setting at a birthday party and no matter what I do it just doesn't happen there has to be some sort of noise or something to get it go activate or something that would be better for anything other than straight solo vox

C'mon, you know me, I'm on your friends list, remember? >_>

The RB3 vox engine is all kinds of weird. I have no idea what exactly it's looking for when it comes to activations, but I do know from experience that anything beyond "minimal" amounts of background noise - particularly in the bass range - cause overdrive to be very difficult to activate. In such a situation, nothing works, period. The only time you'll get OD to work is when the music goes quiet and you have nothing else going on (either at the end of a song, or during a quiet spot with no other instruments).
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage has hit it right on the head. In order to avoid those auto-activations we all love so much they made it so the game measures ambient noise and looks for a significant spike to activate. If the ambient noise is already max, then you can't get louder and activations are then impossible. There are two ways to fix this.

First, you can try shielding your mic against ambient noise with foam or some other kind of material so that the drumming noise doesnt affect it as much. (If you also are playing sound through speakers, try using headphones) You could also try pad silencers, that might help if your drums make a lot of noise. (Use rubber or mesh instead of mylar)

Second and probably more effective, though not as easy, would be some sort of modification - now that you can activate with the select button, you could create some left foot pedal (if you're not double bassing it) or other trigger to press/use with some unused part of your body that would send the select button signal and activate your OD.
vkw619  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
vkw619 wrote:
Icemage wrote:

C'mon, you know me, I'm on your friends list, remember? >_>

The RB3 vox engine is all kinds of weird. I have no idea what exactly it's looking for when it comes to activations, but I do know from experience that anything beyond "minimal" amounts of background noise - particularly in the bass range - cause overdrive to be very difficult to activate. In such a situation, nothing works, period. The only time you'll get OD to work is when the music goes quiet and you have nothing else going on (either at the end of a song, or during a quiet spot with no other instruments).

I know I know you? xD I didn't say I didn't?

Well that really blows then. This engine doesn't seem worse in an actual vocal registering sense (to my lack of playing vocals a lot it doesn't seem to change) only difference I seem to find is in the OD activations. I might have to come up with some sort of solution involving the select button...

As for Singer,

Like I stated in my OP I am using the actual headset to sing/listen and I am using a Roland kit with all mesh heads so that itself doesn't seem to be a problem. The whole ambient noise idea is a good concept but doesn't seem to help those that are in a naturally loud setting when it comes to OD.

Seems odd considering its a game centralized around a full band setting which one would have to believe is loud just naturally because you have so many people in a room doing so many thing (especially if you are using the game to its full potential with every slot taken)
Bandaddy  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a spare bass pedal. I put some foam around the controller and made a hole in the foam over the button and put a small rubber stopper right on top of the button. Then I jammed in in under my pedal so when I push the pedal down, it pushes the button. It's a kluge, no doubt, and falls apart at inopportune times, but mostly works. I don't sing and drum at the same time often enough to engineer a sexier version, but it could be done pretty easily by a motivated tinkerer.
ProffessorJoe  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, i have the exact opposite problem. Every time i have tried to voxdrum i can't keep OD from going off during empty spaces I even tried playing the drums really soft and made sure i didn't breathe into the mic. OD still goes off very easily
Go there for videos of Over Rated R Us featuring the amazing RJUCPU!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PR0FFESS0RJ0E
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: