FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
WHOA GUYS... Whats this vibrato thing and how does it help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOE2210  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: WHOA GUYS... Whats this vibrato thing and how does it help? Reply with quote

Yo guys, how come you didn't let me in on this one? XD
How does using vibrato help? I've never really attempted it, but some guidance would be cool as in when and where to apply it.
Ta.

Eastwinn wrote:

I honestly don't get it. What is the point of riding someone's ass. What benefit does it bring you?
twistedoak  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vibrato is best found in opera singers and the way they sing. Watch a video on youtube where the voice slightly changes in pitch up and down at a fast rate. They call this vibrato. It takes some practice to do correctly (some pop singers force it, which I guess you could do as well).

As for the newer engines of rockband, using vibrato makes the pie fill faster. It's fun to watch this happen in long sustained notes. I've been able to fill the pie in a couple seconds on a long sustained note, then just leave it silent for the rest of the time to get an awesome. Use vibrato for squeezing and for getting an awesome where you normally wouldn't.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, how long have you been able to fill the pie faster with vibrato?
If it's been back in RB2, people are getting hurt :l

Eastwinn wrote:

I honestly don't get it. What is the point of riding someone's ass. What benefit does it bring you?
twistedoak  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other game besides rb3 that I know of that having vibrato is a plus is Beatles. I haven't really fooled with the green day engine that much, so I can't say anything about that game.

Rb2 actually punishes you for vibrato. A solid flat pitch is best for rockband 2 and 1 for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I suppose I'm not that much out of the loop then XD
Thanks mate, I'll give that one a go, GV and BR maight be a little easier then.

Eastwinn wrote:

Icemage  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beatles, Green Day, and RB3 (basically all of the Rock Band titles with the new harmony vocal engine) all score the pie faster with vibrato than without.

You don't really need it in Green Day since there really isn't much vocal squeezing period in that game (you can thank their excellent songwriting skills for that ), but it does work there too.

Rock Band 3's vibrato scoring is pretty subtle compared to The Beatles, where you can really spin the pie noticeably faster, but it definitely helps on squeezes, especially on front-end squeezes where the optimal path requires activating mid-phrase.
LucasPWNS8907  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:

Rock Band 3's vibrato scoring is pretty subtle compared to The Beatles, where you can really spin the pie noticeably faster, but it definitely helps on squeezes, especially on front-end squeezes where the optimal path requires activating mid-phrase.

watch this and then tell me it's subtle (watch the second half with the sustain from painkiller)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSnhS3FiTEI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: LucasPWNS8907 PSN Name: TheyCallMeLucas
MasterNobody  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucasPWNS8907 wrote:
Icemage wrote:

watch this and then tell me it's subtle (watch the second half with the sustain from painkiller)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSnhS3FiTEI

I think by "subtle" he maybe meant something more like "less prevalent"- the difference between vibrato and no vibrato on long notes (the ones you recorded being the longest of the long) is still quite significant, but in RB3 you can't just vibrato a half-second long pitch and make the pie zoom up like in TBRB. Vibrato seems to only help with longer pitch lines now, so it's not quite as commonly necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterNobody wrote:

I think by "subtle" he maybe meant something more like "less prevalent"- the difference between vibrato and no vibrato on long notes (the ones you recorded being the longest of the long) is still quite significant, but in RB3 you can't just vibrato a half-second long pitch and make the pie zoom up like in TBRB.

Yup. Vibrato on small pitch lines in TBRB was ridiculous. It doesn't seem to help much, if at all, on the same in RB3 (but small pitchlines still give extra credit, so they're still easy as long as your calibration isn't completely hosed).

Quote:
Vibrato seems to only help with longer pitch lines now, so it's not quite as commonly necessary.

More or less. I've found a few critical phrases where it's enormously helpful.

See the "ta-tion" / "Ahhh" / "Ahh" triple whammy of doom in Good Vibrations Live for an excellent example. All three phrases look so easy until you try to sing them with flat pitches.
JOE2210  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this.
First try of Good Vibrations with vibrato gets me the FC. Thanks guys!

Eastwinn wrote:

Vineboy  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really sucks that you can't use a headset for TB:RB or Rock Band 3. I could take advantage of this vibrato and attempt a FGFC for all of those games, but oh well. I guess I'll just get a mic for Christmas or something.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Darth Fizz
xtreme2252  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I knew I wasn't crazy! I used this method on The End way back in the day on TB:RB and nobody believed me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Xtreme2252
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: