FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Microphone Distortion on RB3 Harmonies?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CHawk  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Microphone Distortion on RB3 Harmonies? Reply with quote

A few weeks ago, when I had traveled up to Manhattan to visit Sophrosyne and Mephisto Jak, we decided to record a triple harmonies FC video of No One Knows. After our multiple attempts of trying to make it sound good, we posted it up on Youtube. However, throughout most of our attempts, the sound that went through the microphone ended up being distorted during the 2nd and 3rd verse, where there were triple harmonies. We dismissed this as one of the mics shortening out.

However, after watching Stephen's (Billtvshow) triple harmony video of Killing Loneliness, I think this may have something to do with the engine.

Around 2:37 in the No One Knows video, you'll notice there's some distortion in the "Ooh"s.

Starting around 1:44 in the Killing Loneliness, you'll hear some slight distortion, although it may have been shielded due to the live performances from Stephen, Tyson, and Brandon.

Is this just a double fluke, or is this an actual problem with the engine? I know it's hard for people to collaborate and sing triple harmonies, but I just wanted to share this and see what the community thought about it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. It's much more noticeable in yours, but definitely sounds like the same thing in mine at the part you pointed out. I didn't pay it much attention because it was so small, but you might be on to something.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this happened numerous times when trying to make the vocals sound great in No One Knows. The distortion not only kept it from sounding decent, but it distorted it so much that it would shake the arrow and keep us from getting Triple Awesomes at times.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it has something to do with the limitations of the Logitech mics (or any gaming mic) in a local setting.

They're probably picking up a lot of ambient sound waves (especially the other singers) and together w/ the auto-sensitivity algorithm it's creating the crackling?

Higher end dynamic mics are better at just capturing what's right in front of the mic diaphragm. I'd like to see if this problem still exists with a group of 3 people using upgraded mics (w/ XLR to USB converters like the one RB Parts sold or a modded cable like the one from Doc's Mods).
Icemage  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just harmony charts either. I think it happens whenever you have multiple microphones plugged in.

I got the same thing for a short burst in my solo video for Good Vibrations using 2 microphones
LucasPWNS8907  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it that "bubbly" sounding noise?

if so, that happens all the time in solo too if you turn the mic volume up and the game track down it's much more audible. i think it's over sensitivity in the mics and the game just can't handle it. i kept getting that "bubbly" sound while trying to record some nice sounding vocal FCs and noticed the problem seemed to diminish the further i was from the mic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: LucasPWNS8907 PSN Name: TheyCallMeLucas
Icemage  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucasPWNS8907 wrote:
is it that "bubbly" sounding noise?

if so, that happens all the time in solo too if you turn the mic volume up and the game track down it's much more audible. i think it's over sensitivity in the mics and the game just can't handle it. i kept getting that "bubbly" sound while trying to record some nice sounding vocal FCs and noticed the problem seemed to diminish the further i was from the mic.

Yeah, it's like the mic audio just sort of stutters for a moment because the game can't figure out what's in the signal. I don't know what to make of it. It auto-corrects itself after a few moments, but yeah - recording your own voice via direct audio is a losing proposition in RB3. I switched over to dual-mic recording a while ago and I'm pretty sure that's where I'll stay moving forward (muting both my mic and original vocals, then mixing back in a second "clean" mic to make sure the audio is clear).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: