FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Does drumming give you nice hands in a fight.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
novicedrummer  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Does drumming give you nice hands in a fight. Reply with quote

Im in no way implying that it makes you fight like chuck lidell or floyd mayweather but am i wrong in assuming that many years of drumming especially metal drumming contributes to developing fast hands in a fight too?
Hitoshura  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's probably very little, if any, crossover of skills and technique. The most potentially beneficial thing I can think of is that drumming helps you to develop a spatial awareness around your body (by that I mean the ability to put your hands/sticks where you want them). But with drumming, you're developing and refining very specific movements with your arms and legs, which don't necessarily translate to anything outside of drumming. It's kind of like saying that learning to throw a football well, or bowl, or play billiards, or any other physical skill, would help you in a fight.

There's really so much more to personal combat than "fast hands" though, that IMO it's really comparing apples and oranges. And really, fast hands are useless in a fight if you don't know what you're doing with them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea man. Thanks for clearing that up, I agree with everything you said. Like i said in my first post, I definitely wasnt inplying that it makes you a good fighter. I was moreso curious about handspeed and how it would translate specifically. Its no different to someone who trains to be a boxer but has never actually fought in the ring. You wont know how good you are until you get in that ring, cause lets face it, the heavy bag doesnt hit back.
vipergtsr7588  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drumming improves wrist speed and strength; where as fist fighting is more upper arm strength and speed. Having strong wrists could help a little but being a good drummer with a lot of speed and endurance will not make you a better fighter.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: TsH1rTw1tHr1fLe
BowlZ  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, it doesn't. I've heard boxing does though

''First Ever'' is needlessly redundant and its never acceptable to use more than 3 exclamation points...
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: BowlZ
lanceuppercut  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only thing you can take from drumming and apply it to a fight is being able to think "hot damn i can nail the drum solo in WGFA" whilst getting pummeled into the ground
Deak2112  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't noticed anything. Ask my brothers, maybe I cause more pain to them now than I used to. One of them is on SH too so you can PM him. fart2112 is his name.

Kind of a weird thread tbh.

For lulz my Wiki and for My Youtube Channel

Free Bird since 11/9/2009
My only regret is that I only have one life to give for my Lord
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Deak2112
FreeXBird  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending how you drum, it may help make your arms stronger. For the most part, though, I doubt it will make much of a difference.
Megabert  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're drumming right, it shouldn't make a noticeable difference. Drumming should be mostly in the wrists.

nicoxsanti19  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BowlZ wrote:
no, it doesn't. I've heard boxing does though
I lol'd so hard at this.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megabert wrote:
If you're drumming right, it shouldn't make a noticeable difference. Drumming should be mostly in the wrists.
Thats true but not necessarily..for example I know full well that the "proper" way to do it is with the wrists, but when I was sightreading Superbeast last night, I was using my whole arm and slamming the shit out of those pads cause that song is just so much FUN. If I was playing LTBRL, I wouldnt dare do that..

My point is just because you can drum right, doesn't mean you never exert any energy. I know how to drum, but when I'm really into a song I'm drumming with my entire body. That still wouldn't really help you in a fight though..the only advantage I can see is that drumming can improve your hand/arm speed, and doing it while watching a moving note chart (especially on X and even moreso on hyperspeed) can improve your reflexes..so if you're a skilled drummer I think it won't save you from someone who's a trained fighter, but it can sharpen you a little.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Does drumming give you nice hands in a fight. Reply with quote

novicedrummer wrote:
Im in no way implying that it makes you fight like chuck lidell or floyd mayweather but am i wrong in assuming that many years of drumming especially metal drumming contributes to developing fast hands in a fight too?

It will help, as long as you use the sticks in the fight.
heety9  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Does drumming give you nice hands in a fight. Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
novicedrummer wrote:

It will help, as long as you use the sticks in the fight.

I love this topic lol
CoHPlaya  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might be able to slap better
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: CoHPlaya Wii Friend Code: 060276453153
Toodooloo  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you apply WAHNTHAC blasts to someone's body, they will most likely go down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: