FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
It has been done. GS on When You Were Young!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickisimo  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: It has been done. GS on When You Were Young! Reply with quote

I think someone else on the Vocal OD page for this song was also getting close, but I managed to finally nail that 3rd phrase and squeeze out the last OD to pick up enough for the 1st ever GS. IT CAN BE DONE!

I did this while online too, so my score on XBL for this should be updated soon(right now I think my 155k run is up there). But, there was no foul play with Photoshop invovled. Actually, someone by the name of deathbypig x3h got 160.3k on this on XBL, which is probably enough for a gold star as well, but this is the first GS for this I've seen on SH and will trump his score.

Now, the question I'm sure all of you are wondering is...how in the name of Jiminy Cricket did you pull this off? I could be a jerk and hang on to this since it's sort of the greatest secret in RB Vocals, but I'm not a jerk(not always anyway), and I'm sure once I explain how I did it, others will out-squeeze, out-shine me and my name shall be forgotten, but...this is how I did it:

First, I was just trying to get something better than my 144k run of it. I thought maybe I took a lousy path or missed a singing phrase somewhere and was trying to get a little more. Then, I noticed on the 3rd and final talky part that the little arrow at the bottom was blinking between green and red as if I was starting and stopping 10 times a second. So, I had an idea. I restarted, then for the first talky part, all I did was hold my tone from the little singy pieces(You play...)all the way through the phrase. Awesome. Second phrase, Strong(about 95%) Third phrase, Strong(about 97-98%)

Determined to finally conquer this bitch, I found what I think to be the best SP path, though I could be wrong(see below), and after adding some very subtle noises to my flat tone when the words came across(as if you were singing them normally), I just barely landed the last phrase, activated before the end and squeezed the last phrase. Ching! Took me about 25-30 tries.

So, I'm going to enjoy my moment in the sun while it briefly lasts. I'm sure by the end of the night someone will jump ahead of me. Hussah for the 55th possible GS though!

Path:
Before "Can We Climb..."
Before "They say the devil's..."
Before the first "I say he doesn't look a thing like..."
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skeltonath got the gold star on PS2 last month.
skeltonath  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but it was on ps2. Ps2 talky part are way easier. I actually FC'd Next To You in a band session on ps2 also. Basically on ps2, as long as you make a noise, it registers well. A good example of this is when I 5 starred Sabotage with gibberish on ps2.

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: The Skeltonath
CaptainDecoy  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this, and it didn't work for me, so I must still be doing it wrong. I *did* manage to add 10k to my score, but that was likely due to better path/hitting all the sung phrases.

I guess a video is too much to ask from someone who has sworn off of youtube. Any chance we could get an audio recording of you singing the talky parts?
bach741  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Took me about 25-30 tries.

JEEZ!!! I don't feel so bad about my 3rd try 133k score then. ;) That's cool though - congrats!
pvtGramps  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Nick!

Now, what songs does that leave us with? Vasoline, Dead on Arrival and what else?

Methinks this is one of the more entertaining things in RB.
Nickisimo  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vasoline, The Hand That Feeds and I'm So Sick are mathematically impossible to Gold Star. So, I think this is it for Vocals. By my own calculation the guy who had the 160k score on XBL actually achieved the GS for WYWY before I did. I think the GS cutoff is roughly 157k. I had 156.1k going into the last phrase and I didn't get it until after, so it's at least that much.
crazymonkey841  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something never seemed right about those sections, it would be easier if practice mode was better
NumberCruncher  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickisimo wrote:
Vasoline, The Hand That Feeds and I'm So Sick are mathematically impossible to Gold Star.

The Hand That Feeds might be gold starrable. Gold stars should be at 187,200, and the current high score is 186,088. If there's a slightly better path, or the Blitzkrieg Bop bug works on the song, then gold stars could be achievable.

Also, my calculations put WYWY gold stars at 159,120.
iagomonk  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NumberCruncher wrote:
...the Blitzkrieg Bop bug

Don't you just love it when someone casually drops a comment like this, as if it was common knowledge? What is the BB bug?
NumberCruncher  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iagomonk wrote:
What is the BB bug?

If star power runs out in the middle of the last phrase of Blitzkrieg Bop, you can get an absurd number of points on the phrase if you fill it up quickly enough. Someone has gotten 20,000 points on that phrase alone (non-bugged max number of points should be 8,000).
PeridotWeapon  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skeltonath wrote:
Yeah, but it was on ps2. Ps2 talky part are way easier.

... never mind the fact that all Gold Star scores on the PS2 are about 10% lower across the board for all instruments.
It makes the "impossible" laughably easy to Gold Star on some songs.

(Still, given how your score falls into the "next gen" cutoff requirements, I suppose that isn't really a factor here. Heh.)
deathbypig  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I was the first to gold star this song with a little over 160k...about half a month ago....on the 360 version. WTF Am I chopped liver? I posted I got the gold stars a month ago almost in the gold star cutoff thread. Duh. :p
Good job though. I haven't tried to go back and improve my score, when I got it, I thought that many others had gold starred it before me. I was the first. I just didn't make a thread about it. lol Good job nick. BUt seriously, I beat you ages ago. ;)

deathbypig wrote:
1st place in the world on When You Were Young vocals on 360...I'm guessing I'm the only one who's gold starred it....anywho, I heard the noise right when I hit 160k, so I'm pretty damn sure that's it.

Proof.

And I just beat your new score by a mere 400 points. Sorry. Please let me keep this as my only first place. jk. If you guys want to beat me gio ahead, but this song comes so easy fro me for some reason....

And I did no squeezing, I just waited one activation after what you said....(instead of devil's water I did it my next oppurtunity)
But I could try squeezing....lol. I remember using a completely different path the first time I gold starred it in January, but I could get the second talky path then, and now I can't. Weird.
Anywho, I don't mean to trivialize your GS, but I did it first. ;)

So if you don't mind Nick, change the "1st ever GS" to 2nd, change the trump, and talk about me a lil' more about how I'm awesome. lol jk

This is my most proud score, glad you could join the GS club.

Another EDIT:
I just used your path and got barely 162k. Thanks. (I swear to god I filled the meter completely on the second talky part phrase, but it still didn't give me the extra 38 points or the awesome. I used to get that part in my sleep wtf)
My tips...I put exmphasis at the beggining of each of the talky parts, said the words real short, and held out the last word of each phrase. I tried holding it out, and it didn't work for me. Don't get me wrong, it could, but that's is what I did.
cdylan13  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathbypig wrote:
Actually I was the first to gold star this song with a little over 160k...about half a month ago....on the 360 version. WTF Am I chopped liver? I posted I got the gold stars a month ago almost in the gold star cutoff thread. Duh. :p
Good job though. I haven't tried to go back and improve my score, when I got it, I thought that many others had gold starred it before me. I was the first. I just didn't make a thread about it. lol Good job nick. BUt seriously, I beat you ages ago. ;)

deathbypig wrote:
1st place in the world on When You Were Young vocals on 360...I'm guessing I'm the only one who's gold starred it....anywho, I heard the noise right when I hit 160k, so I'm pretty damn sure that's it.

Proof.

And I just beat your new score by a mere 400 points. Sorry. Please let me keep this as my only first place. jk. If you guys want to beat me gio ahead, but this song comes so easy fro me for some reason....

And I did no squeezing, I just waited one activation after what you said....(instead of devil's water I did it my next oppurtunity)
But I could try squeezing....lol. I remember using a completely different path the first time I gold starred it in January, but I could get the second talky path then, and now I can't. Weird.
Anywho, I don't mean to trivialize your GS, but I did it first. ;)

So if you don't mind Nick, change the "1st ever GS" to 2nd, change the trump, and talk about me a lil' more about how I'm awesome. lol jk

This is my most proud score, glad you could join the GS club.

Another EDIT:
I just used your path and got barely 162k. Thanks. (I swear to god I filled the meter completely on the second talky part phrase, but it still didn't give me the extra 38 points or the awesome. I used to get that part in my sleep wtf)
My tips...I put exmphasis at the beggining of each of the talky parts, said the words real short, and held out the last word of each phrase. I tried holding it out, and it didn't work for me. Don't get me wrong, it could, but that's is what I did.

lol
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
RedTsunami  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a good youtube vid of a run with the BB bug? I wanna try it!

You're sick.
1. [] 5* TtFatF (only 4* so far)
2. [X] Beat expert drums before kick pedal breaks.
3. [X] Beat expert 5* guitar (Nov 3rd, 2007)
4. X[] Get sigged (WOOT! [damn, I missed])
SIG COUNT: 3 times! <o_0<
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: