FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Carpal Tunnel...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OTLZOR  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Carpal Tunnel... Reply with quote

Yessir, after playing for a good four hours a day, every day, it finally happened, my left hand completely locked up, to the point where it hurts to move it. The doctors say that I need to never play Rock Band ever again, but to my fellow scorehero-ers, is there any other options?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust your doctor... He knows what he's doing. Part of treating Carpal Tunnel is the absence of daily activities that could affect any nerves that could affect the wrist region. My two cents are just to wait and take the two weeks off and doing other stuff that wouldn't interact with your hands.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PlatinumCorpse
Yewb  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you could have surgery to fix it, but it's one of the most horrible common medical experiences you can go through.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
ltwrr112  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lay off for a few months at least...the doctors tell you not to play for life because your nerves are really fucked up.

MisterMixelpix  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have seriously been playing through some pain to get to that point, m'friend. I'm thinking you neglected a whole load of warning signs.

ProEvanarios  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this from WebMD

Code:
How Is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treated?

There are several ways to treat carpal tunnel syndrome:

* Lifestyle changes. Treatment first involves adjusting the way the person performs a repetitive motion: Changing the frequency with which the person performs the motion and increasing the amount of rest time between movements.
    * Immobilization. Treatment also includes immobilizing the wrist in a splint to minimize or prevent pressure on the nerves. Splints that support the wrist in a comfortable neutral position can be of great value if worn at night to relieve painful numbness or tingling. This can provide a restful sleep and allow the median nerve to endure daytime activities.
    * Medication. Patients may be given short courses of anti-inflammatory drugs or injections of cortisone (steroids) in their wrist to reduce swelling. Injections are most successful when people have mild to moderate carpal tunnel syndrome as a result of an acute (sharp or severe) flare-up.
    * Surgery. If carpal tunnel syndrome does not respond to conservative treatment, then surgery is the next treatment option. During surgery, your surgeon will open the carpal tunnel and cut the ligament, relieving the pressure. Carpal tunnel surgery is quite effective at relieving painful symptoms when the condition involves only nerve constriction.

When carpal tunnel syndrome is just one manifestation of repetitive stress, the surgery cannot be expected to relieve symptoms that are not attributable to carpal tunnel syndrome. The difficulty is not in recovering from the operation, but in recovering the ability to return to work, especially to the same job that caused the repetitive disorder to occur. Whether or not true carpal tunnel symptoms recur in these patients, many continue to have pain and are unable to use their hands to any great extent.
What Can I Do To Prevent Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

To help prevent carpal tunnel syndrome:

* Sleep with your wrists straight or use a splint.
    * Keep your wrists straight when using tools but try not to use splints.
    * Avoid flexing and extending your wrists repeatedly.
    * Perform conditioning and stretching exercises.

Maybe only play 1 hour a day and take a day rest in between , and make sure you stretch.. I'm not a doctor though, but doctors usually take the most cautious route. If while you play you feel pain I say stop and take a week or two break.
5 Star GHIII - [21/70] - Black Magic Woman
RB2 Gold Star Drums [6/137] - Today
RB2 Gold Star Guitar [0/137] - lolnub
RB2 Gold Star Bass[1/137] - Aqualung
kajota  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I developed a similar problem and basically just switch to drums. I play guitar everyone once in a while and as long as I'm not playing the 3-chord crazy charts that are in GH3 or GH:Rocks the 80s, I'm fine.

Having said that, I did stop playing GH/RB on guitar for a couple of months completely before going back to playing the guitar from time to time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: kajota PSN Name: kajota
joekickass1234  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming it's from guitar/bass. Can you still drum? I'm pretty sure you can do vocals.

3926 0220 0199 1364
Barkode  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure its carpal tunnel? Carpal tunnel involves numbness and/or a needly/sleepy feeling, usually in the first 2 or 3 fingers and pregressing outwards, not pain. I know because I have it. I stopped playing for hours a day and it hasn't bothered me since.
TMxDarkXx  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four hours did that to you? I did the ESL2 last week for the Bladder of Steel and although my hand really hurt, it was fine the next day.

CTS is treatable, isn't it? I'm sure you'll be fine eventually.
1PARTYBOY1  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMxDarkXx wrote:
Four hours did that to you? I did the ESL2 last week for the Bladder of Steel and although my hand really hurt, it was fine the next day.

He said he played 4 hours a day everyday. The ESL2 won't do anything to you because you don't do it every single day.

Goals: 55 FC''s GH3X[](54); 700K TTFAF[](646k) My Accomplishments
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: xPartyBoyxBB
TMxDarkXx  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1PARTYBOY1 wrote:
TMxDarkXx wrote:

He said he played 4 hours a day everyday. The ESL2 won't do anything to you because you don't do it every single day.

Ooh. I'm so stupid. I misread what he said.
Sorry.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterMixelpix wrote:
You must have seriously been playing through some pain to get to that point, m'friend. I'm thinking you neglected a whole load of warning signs.
Seriously. People need to pay attention all the time. I've had a couple times where I've started to experience pain or an oddness, so I immediately took a look at my technique and changed it so that didnt happen anymore.

Case in point, a few weeks ago my left hand started hurting when I was drumming on songs with a lot of left hand hits. Instead of ignoring it I realized that without consciously knowing it I had starting holding my stick so that there was no stick rebound when the stick hit the pad, and all the shock was being absorbed by my hand. I changed my grip so that the stick is allowed to bounce up when it hits and now I get no pain even when playing for 3 or 4 hours in a row.
mr.flamethro  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Carpal Tunnel for Drums? Reply with quote

What about drums?

I just finished playing the Endless Setlist 2 on drums 2 days ago on Expert. The next day, I continued to play Score Duel and BQP on Drums to show off the Platinum status.

However, this morning my pointer finger feels like pins and needles. After moving my arm a bit, it still feels like this.

What I'm asking is, can you get Carpal Tunnel from extensive drum playing?

EDIT: I read the thread, and I have been playing guitar and plastic guitar for years, but what threw me off was that I got it after playing drums.

Get top 250 for RB2 [x]
Finish all Impossible Challenges (3/4) [ ]
Find missing paths for RB2 X Gtr Wiki [ ]

Last edited by mr.flamethro on Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: mr flamethro
wambafat  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Carpal Tunnel for Drums? Reply with quote

mr.flamethro wrote:
What about drums?

I just finished playing the Endless Setlist 2 on drums 2 days ago on Expert. The next day, I continued to play Score Duel and BQP on Drums to show off the Platinum status.

However, this morning my pointer finger feels like pins and needles. After moving my arm a bit, it still feels like this.

What I'm asking is, can you get Carpal Tunnel from extensive drum playing?
Carpal Tunnel is a long term condition.... Like months to years. Not trying to be a dick here, but did you even read the thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: