FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mic lag and going up in difficulty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oxi  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Mic lag and going up in difficulty Reply with quote

I'm playing with the mic that came with the game, I was pretty horrible at singing those songs when I got it, but I am getting better (most of my friends suck at all the instruments and I hate playing expert when everyone else is on medium so I inherited the vocalist spot...) Anyway, I finally got around to finishing vocal career on medium, bjt I find that even the songs that I can 100% every time with ease on medium, I can't get much better than 90% on expert. Seems that the mic lag is killing me, I keep going back to singing on time with the track and getting partial misses... also it seems like I'm pretty bad at switching from one note to another sharply, I always kind of waver between two notes before getting on pitch...

Anyway, I remember Nickisimo said he bought a logitech mic and that it was much better for lag, can anyone confirm that or has any tricks to make the lag go away?

Thanks!
pvtGramps  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start about a half second early. A way to get good at this is to fill up your Overdrive, and then start right as the end of a freestyle passes the bar. Your voice will do two things for you:
1.) "Rev-up" so to speak and hit pitch when the line crosses.
2.) Get you real good at hitting the overdrive at the last possible second letting you squeeze like crazy in a band situation where Vocalist overdrive doesn't pause.

I actually switched back to an old PS2 Karaoke Revolution mic after my RB mic broke. I've noticed some improvement.
Oxi  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know I am supposed to start early, I suck at it though, especially when playing another instrument at the same time. Would just be more fun to me to sing on time, and easier. Whole reason I'm singing is to solo X/X endless setlist eventually...
rrwoods  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mic lag makes me avoid vocals completely. I can't stand it -- I know I'm singing the right pitch, but the triangle takes time to "lock on" so to speak. I simply don't do vocals in this game anymore because of it. Shame, really.
Nickisimo  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Logitech mic is better for lag from my personal experience than the bundled mic. It doesn't totally eliminate lag, nor does it make starting things early unnecessary(just a good fundamental thing to do no matter how well you think you know a phrase IMO), but it's substantially better than the mic included in the bundle. Rocker74 said he grabbed a mic that was released by HMX for RB, and the thread is in Vocals somewhere, not sure how the two mics stack up. From what I could gather, they're both better than the bundled mic though, so if you're serious about Vocals, I would suggest checking one of them out.
JoshNeff  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the best by any means... but if you're ONLY going for points, I'de just make noises before the words start like others are saying.

If you're going for fun, drop the difficulty and just sing... I'de rather sing on medium or hard and play the guitar at the same time then try expert and fail due to singing instead of trying to go early and robotic

[ ] 5/6 Star Expert Guitar (~125/137)
[x] finish expert drums
[x] FC DOA (with screaming correctly)
[x] expert vocals all beaten
[x] finish endless setlist (expert)
[x] 5* GGaHT
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Ant 612
Oxi  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I do usually sing on medium / hard for kicks, but I want to do X/X endless setlist by myself, and I hate it when I play a song I know I can nail on expert and either I gotta unsync myself and it sounds like crap or I get 85% and get jeered :o

Anyways, I'll stop ranting now, thanks.
Ghazken  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickisimo wrote:
The Logitech mic is better for lag from my personal experience than the bundled mic. It doesn't totally eliminate lag, nor does it make starting things early unnecessary(just a good fundamental thing to do no matter how well you think you know a phrase IMO), but it's substantially better than the mic included in the bundle. Rocker74 said he grabbed a mic that was released by HMX for RB, and the thread is in Vocals somewhere, not sure how the two mics stack up. From what I could gather, they're both better than the bundled mic though, so if you're serious about Vocals, I would suggest checking one of them out.

I'll second this.

I got the Logitech mic recently and the first day using it I topped my best scores on 8 songs. And that was after playing only 10 of them. (And the 2 I didn't get new high scores on were nearly as good as my high scores)
pmswedge  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always just used the Karaoke Revolution mics that I have... haven't really spent much time with the bundled mic except periodically I play with it on my roommate's TV.

I wasn't sure if it was his TV lagging or the mic lagging but I can't really use it... I always just switch back to my KR mic. I'm starting to guess it might be the bundled mic?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: