FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What is happening to the SH community....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterMixelpix  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggman wrote:
I think a bunch of people are finding out that RB isn't as viable for competitive play in the long run as many think. Without any other ways of separating scores, it becomes a race for whoever gets the "perfect path" or just fc'ing something, which honestly doesn't take much time as people get better. Eventually you just hit a ceiling and you need a break.

That's why I found it funny that Guinness has a record for "highest score in Guitar Hero". It's not the players who determine the record, but Activision. It's just if someone gets it or not.

hewhoislikegod  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanrulzz wrote:
Adsee wrote:
I believe that the music game popularity may fall soon due to how much milking Activision is doing on the GH franchise. The sheer amount of GH games to be released could make people sick of the genre.

reminds me of another series Neversoft had....

Tony Hawk, much?

On topic;

I too have called for a hiatus before. So many things can trigger it but, for the most part, it's because the focus and determination is so intense, that you need to unplug just to save your head from exploding.

A couple of members mentioned that "it's like a job" and that is one of the main things to think about, because it shouldn't be.

If you want a few tips to keep you afloat, here ya' go:

1. Play online with random tours and BQP. Some of it can be a pain and some of it will lead you to new friends.

2. Stand up when you play. Really get into it and rock the hell out. Kick in the air. Switch from low to high frets for the solos. Strike a random pose. Do windmills. Play on your knees. Don't worry about missing notes. You'll feel so cool and you'll find it very refreshing. No joke.

3. Play other instruments. You can get sick of playing the same instrument over and over. I play bass 24/7 and I get no greater feeling than slappin' on some Sin Wagon guitar and laughing my ass off on route to a 77%. It's better than any FC I've ever gotten.

4. Play all of the Boston songs, back to back, on guitar. :P I don't know how this will help you but, just thought I'd throw it out there. Ha!

5. This is probably the most important one; play with friends. Online, or at your place. It's so much fun when you add some company because it strikes up some conversation and builds stronger relationships. I have more fun yappin' about the song we just played, than the actual playing of the song. It's like, "Dude! You were so sick in that solo!" or, "Dude! You totally nailed the outro tom rolls on the yellows and blues!"

I hope you got something out of this. It helped me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm still having fun. I recently five starred Blackened on X drums (which was a year in the making), which felt great. Right now I'm working on getting down the fast RLR_R pattern in Assassin, and I recently figured out the proper sticking on that song during the verses, which let me get the Assassin score achievement. I love the Bonham style triplets too, so I'm playing the hell out of the song. As long as there are little improvements like this, I'm probably going to keep playing.

I don't kill myself on any one song ... I tend to rotate through a few favorites that are challenging and mix in some random song or new DLC ... rarely playing a song more than once per day. It's all about the journey ... so part of that means enjoying myself as I play, even if it takes longer.
riyunoa  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adsee wrote:
I believe that the music game popularity may fall soon due to how much milking Activision is doing on the GH franchise. The sheer amount of GH games to be released could make people sick of the genre.

I just feel it's too many rhythm games in such a short time. I don't even have much time for gaming nowadays and they release so many games with so many instruments, I can't even finish getting good/sick of one game before the next one comes out. Back when there was only GH1, 2 and GH80s, the next game was actually special, and I was excited.
For that reason I look forward more to DLC than a new game, cuz a new game really just means more 1-2 new songs to me once in awhile. I could go so far as to say I'm drowning in GH and RBs and way too many songs. It makes me tired of it and I always feel like I suck so I'm less likely to play it. It's stressful.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Activision releasing so many GH games is NO different from Harmonix releasing a half dozen or more new songs every single week for Rock Band. Don't kid yourselves.

My goals:
Put an X in this box: [why is this so hard]

stuff i''ve done, it''s been updated now which is weird
thespike  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tagrineth wrote:
Activision releasing so many GH games is NO different from Harmonix releasing a half dozen or more new songs every single week for Rock Band. Don't kid yourselves.

Activision is releasing songs every week in addition to flooding with games that could have just been DLC. And DLC is pick and choose, discs aren't. It's different.

Anyway, spring is usually "slow" for rhythm games for me at least, it's been a while since the last major installment and it's pre-E3 so I'm just waiting for something to get announced. This year might be different with Smash Hits and Unplugged coming out though. People will probably start playing again when the next big release gets hyped up.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ignthespike1
fUNC  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterMixelpix wrote:
I really, really do not believe the core Rock Band audience is huge on The Beatles.

The core Rock Band audience as it exists now may not be, but you'd be surprised at the number of people who have never bought a music game before that are keeping tabs on it. The band was bigger than Jesus at one point, remember? ;) Trust me- if the game is done right, it has the potential to be bigger than RB2.

~Kyle~

Scorehero's #1 Chiefs fan and L4D2 player
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: samsa3
MisterMixelpix  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fUNC wrote:
The core Rock Band audience as it exists now may not be, but you'd be surprised at the number of people who have never bought a music game before that are keeping tabs on it. The band was bigger than Jesus at one point, remember? ;) Trust me- if the game is done right, it has the potential to be bigger than RB2.

I dunno. I just don't see it happening. I'd like to see what the stats are on what DLC tracks have had the most downloads. Yeah we all like The Beatles but how many people have been clamoring to play Revolution or Hey Jude?

Not to mention, to be honest, I cannot imagine very many Beatles songs being fun. The Fab 4 weren't exactly technicians on their instruments and I doubt ol' Ringo is going to be throwing much at me beyond "hat hat snare hat".

OneFaite  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that, as others have said, its all what you make of it. I really enjoy playing bass in RB for varying reasons. One being that its more of a niche market here in the SH community. Everyone and their mother wants to be the frontman guitarist ripping it up. I post scored so I can track my progression against the other players to see where I can improve and where I'm doing ok at. (I'm only like 90-ish tanked on X Bass, so I'm not -that- good).

I think as its said, if you make it a job and lose the focus that its a game, then its gonna stop becoming fun. I also think that if you stop seeing some of the music you want come into the game, that can dampen the fun as well. I love most of the DLC that gets released, so I'm happy week to week as I pick up more and more.

A note on the Beatles game, I think it will be huge. Yeah the tracks may not be the most technically demanding, or the most creative necessarily, however, there is a reason that people go nuts over certain packs. Boston Pack, Rush, The Who. Hell, Don't Stop Believing generated huge hype...all because they were wildly popular bands with huge hits. The Beatles are the icons for this. I personally can't wait to rock out to Sgt. Pepper's or Helter Skelter. Its gonna be a blast.

But...thats the whole point...enjoy the music, play the game. If neither of those is working for you, then yeah, take your break.

RB2: 49/84 FC'd 54/84 GS'd
bdawg95  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterMixelpix wrote:
I really, really do not believe the core Rock Band audience is huge on The Beatles.

RB:Beatles will be our equivalent of GH:Aerosmith. Iconic band that most kids don't really give a fig about with simple songs that don't challenge the hardcore players, and ends up a footnote in the library while everyone waits for the real next release.

Your not judging the right core audience. The real core audience is what willay said: parents, teenagers, small kids, etc. who aren't like us and enjoy playing it for fun and good music. They don't care how hard Thrasher is, or even how many times someone's GS'd it. They just care about fun and good music. The Beatles falls into that.

I enjoy playing a lot of the easier songs on RB more than I enjoy playing CoB 5 times in a row. Playing something laid back and that I really like is more fun that playing a tough song. And I can say kids who can barely play on easy share the same thoughts.

I have no idea where I'm going with this, but whatever. The Beatles still have a HUGE audience nowadays, and it will bring in more adults to play the game. It's a great idea, and I can see playing it a ton when it comes out: same as my sister and my mom I bet.

EDIT: Wow, I really went off topic there. I'll address the main question now:

I haven't been playing Rock Band really at all cause other games have come along that I find more fun, plus i was getting frustrated. Just playing day to day on tour would get annoying because my drums kept fucking up and it was limitating me. So really I picked up a new game(L4D >_>) and have been playing that since. An example here proves my point:

As very few of you probably know, I'm in the H2O Clan for GH/RB. Now, I haven't played either cause they got boring. So I decided to make the change to the L4D division mainly because it's more fun, plus you get to mindlessly kill zombies with friends. RB, even playing with friends, would get annoying. It's just a demographic that changes.

Shitty example, I know, But whatever.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: bwakaflocka
yakityyakblah  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I'm just playing for fun. I've been taking a break and playing GH Metallica instead. I'm really liking it so for the time being I'm playing that. When I get bored of GH Metallica I'll probably come back and download all the dlc I need to catch up on. Or maybe I'll just go straight for RB Beatles. It's not like a permanent departure because it's not a commitment. I just play the game cause it's fun, when I find a game that's more fun I play that. Then if Rockband gets some songs that I want to play I'll go back to that.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hewhoislikegod wrote:
3. Play other instruments. You can get sick of playing the same instrument over and over. I play bass 24/7 and I get no greater feeling than slappin' on some Sin Wagon guitar and laughing my ass off on route to a 77%. It's better than any FC I've ever gotten.

4. Play all of the Boston songs, back to back, on guitar. :P I don't know how this will help you but, just thought I'd throw it out there. Ha!

5. This is probably the most important one; play with friends. Online, or at your place. It's so much fun when you add some company because it strikes up some conversation and builds stronger relationships. I have more fun yappin' about the song we just played, than the actual playing of the song. It's like, "Dude! You were so sick in that solo!" or, "Dude! You totally nailed the outro tom rolls on the yellows and blues!"

I hope you got something out of this. It helped me.

These are the most important ones for me, honestly. I'm primarily a vocalist, but sometimes I just feel like tearing it up on guitar or laughing my way through medium or hard drums. The Boston therapy never fails, and playing with friends for fun and not for score also renews the experience. Even if not friends, playing with random people online is a lot of fun to me too. Usually people are just happy to find a vocalist, and they're not from SH, so they don't give a shit if you're good or bad!

I play with my fiance, usually he's on drums and I'm on vocals, but sometimes we switch to guitar and bass. The point is, its always fun because its how we bond. We don't spend money on movies, we spend money on DLC and so on. When you have someone to connect with you through the game, it makes it that much more fun.

I know there's been various mention of Activision and GH and such in this thread, but I think switching it up is a good way to break out of the monotony. Play some World Tour or Metallica, then a couple days later play the RB DLC. It will feel like something "new" every day.

I took a break from RB a while ago too, but that was mostly because of my roommate situation. :P But now I play with my band and its still fun for me, because in between sessions I get my ass kicked by guitar and bass in either GH or RB.

Edit: Oh, and depending on how well its advertised, the Beatles game will outsell RB2. No question.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
anonymous_104  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
PaddyRoon  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice some crazy shit on slower speeds.
YMB Rolls...
Constant Motion.. I actually went from being CRAP at this on 50% speed to JUST FCING IT ON 70% SPEED LIKE 10 MINS AGO! YEAH! HIGH FIVE!!!... No? Ok.
Afterlife..
I Ain't Superstitious..
The "Ow" in Next To You, but that one sucks because you have to play through the whole song.
Visions Bridge on Bass..

It keeps me occupied. Set goals for yourself too. I recently made myself not play any other song until I GSed Visions XGuitar, and it happenned pretty quickly. Setting goals is fine, and achieving them is close to orgasmic. But not if they're shit goals like "Pass Eye of the Tiger on Medium Drums." Goals that take time and effort.
HoboBobulus  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaddyRoon wrote:
It keeps me occupied. Set goals for yourself too. I recently made myself not play any other song until I GSed Visions XGuitar, and it happenned pretty quickly. Setting goals is fine, and achieving them is close to orgasmic. But not if they're shit goals like "Pass Eye of the Tiger on Medium Drums." Goals that take time and effort.

I think this is the kind of thing that people in this topic are saying makes them bored of Rock Band. I still play it all the time for the fun factor, but I hate grinding for scores, FCs, or anything else that takes a rather large amount of time and effort. Example: squeezing the crap out of vocals; it's just not fun to do anymore, so I haven't even bothered playing through or FC'ing all of the songs on vocals unless I particularly want to play that song. This stuff used to be fun to me, but these days fun = songs that I like without worrying about score or an FC, playing with friends, or even playing online with people who seem cool (unfortunately, all of my friends seem tired of the rhythm game fad, which coincides with that other topic floating around here).
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: