FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What's wrong with me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElvenMarth  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: What's wrong with me? Reply with quote

Guys, I need some advice.

I SUCK ASS at Rock Band guitar. Ridiculously. It's getting to the point where I don't even want to play it anymore.

My level on RB is merely passing expert songs in the last tier. Strumming and keeping a combo is absolutely out of the question (RttH and Blackened in particular). Fast solos are impossible. I can hardly make them out.

Now, when I go back to GH, it seems I've improved a lot. Just recently FC'ed NotB and hit -1 on Nothing for me Here. Went back to GH2 and improved Freebird DRASTICALLY. Went back to GH1 and hit a gnarly 360k on CfH.

I can't play RB with the Les Paul, 'cause I can't do solos without the Strat. And I can't play with the Strat 'cause I can't strum without the Les Paul.

I think I'm screwed.
jeremiahsjohnson  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm nowhere near your talent level, but I'm significantly worse at RB than GH. I've thought it was due to the timing window or size of the notes as they float down the screen.
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's just the timing window...

Take a break. I personally am way better at Rock Band guitar than Guitar Hero. Then again, the Strat is my best fucking friend...
Set all the tax rates to 9.
JoshNeff  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me tell you a little story about this guy... he was pretty good. played a tournament and didn't do bad at all, walked out with some money and other stuff.

He tried to beat Ride the Lightning for a MONTH and couldn't do it. The dude beats blackened SOOOO easily and thinks its a piece of cake. Could NOT do ride the lightning, no idea why, failed EVERY TIME in the solo.

In practice mode, he could nail everything in the solo pretty easily. Played, FAIL. FAIL. FAIL. FAIL. FAIL.

Then he realized he was hitting notes TOO fast... and playing off memory incorrectly. Moral of the story-

Take a break and relax.

There was this other kid. He got some DLC and was aweful. He barely could pass number of the beast (RB) after a handful of tries.

Then he realized he forgot to set his lag and got much better.

Relax, and work really hard at getting your lag set correctly... you may not suck, it just may be like audio AND video lag and its messing you up. If you're playing with the notes, and playing on screen and missing- maybe you just have lag in both areas?

Check on that, take a break, and play the hell out of fun easy songs. If you cant FC an easy song, then good chance its lag. Also, have your buddies that are good come play, see how they do on it. I was doing bad at GH3, my friend came and was like "Yo dude you got bad lag, fix this"

We changed my settings, and I went from not being able to pass The Metal to 5 starring it. Another example of how the boy that sucks, actually just sucks at fixing lag. =P

and my final note- if you aren't doing so hot score wise, who cares? If I cant come close to FCing a song, or struggle to get 5 stars then I honestly don't care about my score.

1-4 stars is all the same in my eyes, so if I know its a rough song, I just have fun and don't care... end up getting better scores that way because I'm not over focusing

[ ] 5/6 Star Expert Guitar (~125/137)
[x] finish expert drums
[x] FC DOA (with screaming correctly)
[x] expert vocals all beaten
[x] finish endless setlist (expert)
[x] 5* GGaHT
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Ant 612
Jaguar  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can do Solo C and I of Freebird, you should have no problem at all with GGaHT.

If you can do Raining Blood, you should have no problem with RttH.

I'd normally think that GH3's huge timing window is at fault, but if you're going back to GH1/2 and kicking ass, then that can't be the culprit.

Honestly, I'd say if you can 360k CfH, you shouldn't need the Strat's solo buttons (yeah, they might be nice, but, dude...360k on CfH?) Instead, I'd wager that you're probably just seizing up once the solo starts. Highway Star's solo is nothing compared to Freebird, for instance. And even if you completely botch RttH's solo, you should be able to five star the song if you can strum the rest of it.

Take a break, do something else, come back in a few days, and bring it into practice for a bit before playing.
dreamaddict  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't quite figure out how the timing thing works. I mean, I know that it's supposed to be like GH2, and most of it is OK, but I know GH2 very intimately, as in I can tell by every small detail of how those skittles disappear, exactly how well I am doing and whether or not to play a little bit faster or slower. I haven't caught on to how this game is yet, since the HOPO symbols are smaller than the regular strums, and I just can't feel what the timing window is on a regular strum. Also, that stupid Strat guitar is no good for fast strumming because I can't hear exactly when it strums.

Anyhow, I totally suck comparatively at RB guitar compared to GH games, and these are all of my excuses at least.

Sig picture brought to you by GuitarHailzā„¢
p3ngu1n  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rock band strat hardly every lets me hit notes, with sg i hit them all... i fced tom sawyer and vasoline on my sightread with sg... might not of even passed with strat
MavsPride41  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go against what everyone else is saying: Play more.

When I first played through RB I was so used to GH3's lax timing window and sucked...barely passed RTTH and GGAHT. Now after about 2 weeks of just playing and getting used to it I can GS GGAHT and 5-star everything on expert. But you said you did good on CfH and Free Bird so it's probably not the timing window.. My only advice is just to practice and get used to RB...play some hard songs that you enjoy playing, even if you miss stupid notes keep playing.

Edit: w00t! 1000th post and Mascot...yay! and got it while *attempting* to help someone
ElvenMarth  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help. I'm beginning to think it's the rectangle notes; I can't make out some ridiculously fast solos (Ride the Lightning) because of them.
CrAkD  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was looking for a thread like this. i was convinced for awhile still not sure that i needed to set a lag for rockband. i have a crt HDTV never had to set a lag for guitar hero works fine everytime. Rockband i can never keep a multiplier with cords. i always break it. guitar hero i can do cords on expert perfect! is it the game? is it me? is it my tv? i have no idea but its so frustrating i dont even wanna play chord songs anymore where as they used to be my fav.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: