FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How to adjust overdrive (tilt) sensitivity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: How to adjust overdrive (tilt) sensitivity Reply with quote

Many people are having trouble with their overdrive sensitivity. Depending on how you hold it it can go off unexpectedly. Here is a simple method to adjust how high you have to raise the neck for OD activation.

The tilt sensors are back to the old school style of ball bearings in a tube (vs the ultrasensitive and non adjustable accelerometer of the GH3 Les Paul)
When rolled around or shaken you may hear a rattling noise coming from these...this is normal.
If you unscrew the tilt assembly screws, you can reposition the sensor and tape it in place. My guitar was too sensitive and the sensor has been adjusted so
it requires you to raise it higher to activate the OD. The more you angle it down, the higher you can hold the guitar without OD activation.

Normal position:
(thumbnail)

Tilt sensor adjusted for higher angle:

This fix applies to the 1st-3rd gen guitar models. This 4th gen tilt sensors are different but can be adjusted in a similar fasion if needed. Here's a pic for a reference:

Last edited by BriGuy on Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
malklavious  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Adjusting a 4th gen tilt sensor Reply with quote

Last night I opened my recently acquired replacement guitar (RMA'd on Jan 7th) to adjust the tilt sensor and found the 4th gen sensor as shown here:

At first I wondered why it had 2 sensors, then realized that they are for righty/lefty flips. Instead of one sensor and the guitar needing to be held level this version can be held at an angle and still detect a higher degree of tilt when both sensors are tilted far enough.

I adjusted the lower sensor to be at a lower angle and it seemed to help at first. Granted I needed to hold the guitar almost vertical to trigger overdrive but at least the sensor seemed to be resetting when I went back to regular play.

That lasted through the first few songs then it started behaving just like before I adjusted the angle. It seems like this kind of switch is either not going back to it's reset position or the balls are getting stuck in the 'off' position somehow. I need to shake the guitar a bunch of times, then hold it up for about 1-2 secs before the switch triggers.

I think I may move the switch back into it's original position then try to find out exactly what angle triggers the switch and take another stab at this or just find some mercury based switches and replace the rattlers.
DorkmasterFlek  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting...I adjusted my 3rd gen model so it wouldn't go off so easily, however because both sensors were on the single board, it has the opposite effect if you're playing lefty. Granted, I don't know many lefties, but still. The 4th gen model is a much better design.
Everybody likes Boston on some level. They're like a soul detector. Most people don't know this, but vampire hunters carry a Talkboy containing a snippet of More Than A Feeling. Anyone who doesn't smile when they hear it gets staked on the spot. It works flawlessly.
edgekrusher187  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4th gen version of the Tilt sucks major ass. It doesn't work. I'm now waiting on my 4th guitar because the other 2 that I got had the damn tilt sensor not working problem. I'm going to fuck around with my "new" replacement that I got 2 days ago until the box for my "new new" replacement comes. then I'm just sending the box back without the guitar and going to see if I get a new guitar.
malklavious  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good design with the two switches, but I think the problem is with the tilt switches themselves. Once I track down a couple mercury tilt switches and put them in place of the unreliable switches I think it will work better. My only problem is finding a source for the switches that doesn't make me order in mass quantity
gitarzann  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my 3rd guitar the other day and also got the 4th generation. The Overdrive does not work on this guitar either.

I'm getting tired of going through this exchange only to get a new generation peripheral that still doesn't work as it's supposed to.

i tried re-adjusting the sensor and taping it down but found that I too had to put the guitar up almost completely vertical and sometimes there would be a couple of second delay before Overdrive deployed.

I'll keep messing around with taping it down in different locations to get it right but man, this is just ridiculous.
malklavious  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that does seem to back up my idea that it's not the angle of the 4th-gen switch but the response/reset time of the switch.

I saw on the official Rock Band forum that you can connect a 360 Strat to a Windows computer via USB and have it detected as a game controller. In the game controller control panel you can test all the buttons, including when the tilt sensors trigger since they should show up as a "button". I'll play around with that over the weekend and see what I can figure out with these switches.
BobaFrets  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to necro, but I wanted to thank BriGuy for this thread.
I opened my Strat today to see if I could fix the tilt sensor instead of an RMA. I have an earlier generation (not sure if it's 1,2, or 3) so the mercury switches won't work

First attempt wasn't enough of an angle so I didi it again. Second time seems to be the charm, and if not then at least I know how to adjust it.
exegence  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just did this fix a few minutes ago on my 4th gen RMA replacement.

all i did was switch the two sensors around. works perfectly before i had to hold the strat at a 90 degree angle and wait a few seconds for it to work. now it works at around 45-55 degree tilt.
Hackerboy603  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Tilt Removal Reply with quote

I have one of the older gens. (not 4 I know) Can I just remove the sensor to make the tilt utterly ineffective and you have to hit the select button or will that mess it up somehow? (ie making overdrive instantly go off or just making the guitar not work in general)

I'm doing this mainly because I don't use the tilt function at all and recently it's been firing off whenever the hell it feels like it. Can I just cut one of the wires leading out of it (the white, the red, or the black) or do i need to remove the whole thing?
BriGuy  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most cases, you should be fine to either simply pull out that component from the board (if it's detachable) or to cut it out. If it looks like the tilt sensor wires run through the select/start button circuit board before connecting to the main board, this could be a problem (this model is rare)

Before disconnecting though, I'd recommend trying this mod out as I have done for nearly all of my guitars. They are all now very reliable with no false activations.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried angling/taping it and it still goes off whenever it feels like. Time to take the plunge and see if i need to drop another $60 on a guitar...

EDIT: I just tried my guitar after cutting out all three wires and removing the sensor entirely. Everything works fine and it doesn't randomly go off anymore. Pass this on to anyone who'd rather always use the select button.
Hammertime  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hackerboy603 wrote:

EDIT: I just tried my guitar after cutting out all three wires and removing the sensor entirely. Everything works fine and it doesn't randomly go off anymore. Pass this on to anyone who'd rather always use the select button.

good tip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: