FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Holding notes and stopping the crazy vibrrating triangle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Killoff  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Holding notes and stopping the crazy vibrrating triangle Reply with quote

I suck at holding notes. Any tips on this?

And the triangle pointing which way to go goes up and down and everywhere. How do I stop that?
TheRidGE  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe what you are talking about is technically called vibratto. It's a natural wavering of a sung pitch around the note you want. It's not bad to have, as long as you can control it.

Try this: Find a good song with a nice long hold. With the hand that is not holding the mic (I would hope you would have assumed that though), point towards your head, and make small circles around your head, as if you were implying that someone is crazy (or you're twirling your hair like a girl). Subconciously, this should speed up the vibratto, actually causing you to waver more around the note. I know that's not what you want to do, but this is probably easier to start with.

Next, to stop the vibratto, leave that hand up at head level, and lay it flat in the air, parallel to the ground. Move it slowly in the air horizantally, as if actually flattening out the note. This should stop/reduce the vibratto.

This was an old music teacher trick I learned in high school. Of course, I was really in to the singing thing by that point, so I might have had an easier time with it. If it doesn't work at first, keep trying. You can train your brain to stop the vibratto if you tell it that this works, and once that happens, you can train your brain not to need to do it every time.

Sorry this was so long winded, but I felt that a little music theroy could be helpful. That way, if I have failed you, you can now google a better answer for yourself.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: the oRidGEinal Wii Friend Code: 4504280527441862
J-Nasty  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRidGE wrote:

Next, to stop the vibratto, leave that hand up at head level, and lay it flat in the air, parallel to the ground. Move it slowly in the air horizantally, as if actually flattening out the note. This should stop/reduce the vibratto.

You know, this really helps, ALOT. I was doing this before my voice started giving out on me yesterday. I keep my hand vertical, instead of horizontal though, I think it looks cooler. lol. But it helps out a ton, I'm not all over the place anymore. I was when I originally started, but I started doing this during "When You Were Young" and "Enter Sandman" when the holds arent too long, but still long enough. BTW, I did it just cuz it looks cool when people do it, IMO. But then I saw that it helped. and your explanation puts things into persepective.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: jtlover08 PSN Name: doucher1788
cdylan13  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a Vocal Hero teacher. He'll teach you about your diaphragm and its FCing ability. lol
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
nickpappas  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres a big difference in singing well and singing for a score....

When i sing to really perform the song well yeah i'll put vibrato on it and put my own natural sound into it.... BUT singing for this game is completely different.

1st - I dont belt it out loudly.... i sing it very soft and controlled.

2nd - focus on just the notes of the song.... sing it like your mimicing a keyboard or a midi version of the song.

3rd - its ok to start early and drag notes further but dont drop them off

4th - i have been listening to these songs since each one was announced for rock band... so i know them all very well

right now at this moment i have completed every song on expert solo tour...except "Long time" F**K that song's ending!

I sang every song one time up to that point....

i havnt FC'd anything yet... but i have got 4 and 5 stars on a majority of the songs. Im in 64th place on the leaderboards at the moment with many of my songs in the top 20's

so i think my tricks are working well
JWideman  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A technique I learned was to stand before a flat surface, like a table or desk. Push down on it with your hands. This helps you feel the note out.
Always sing standing, btw. Sitting down compresses your body.
Nickisimo  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it's interesting to see all this technical stuff being poured into Vocals. It's nice to see more people taking that much interest in it. I'll have to try some of the ideas posted here. I do basically everything wrong, I guess: I sing slumped in a chair, I tend to drop notes off a lot, and I usually just lay my off-hand at my side.

I've seen people with a lot of real Vocal knowledge and expertise struggle with RB singing, and people like myself who know next to nothing about singing somehow do well in the game. I'm starting to wonder if the 'I can play real guitar, but I can't play GH' thing is sort of the same with RB Vocals? You wouldn't think so, given the nature of it, but my sister is a semi-pro singer and has been doing it since she was about 5(she's 30 now) and she had a hell of a time with the game on Easy, and my voice is terrible and I'm well over 10 million. It's kind of a running gag among the music directors at my church that playing GH/RB as a real musician makes you feel like an idiot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: