FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Is humming looked down upon or interpeted as cheating?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echelar  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all the game measures is that you're on pitch, and you're on pitch, I don't see how we can call it cheating. It might not be very personally rewarding, but I doubt we'll try to "stop" it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says right in the instructions to hum the right pitch if you don't know the words and "wing it!"

So definitely not cheating.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried playing a recorder for the vocal part of War Pigs on medium, worked rather well (except when I was laughing too hard for me to play). Next time my friends and I have a video camera I'll try to record it.

1. Toxicity - System of a Down (now impossible?)
2. Paradise Lost - Symphony X
3. Octavarium - Dream Theater
4. Train of Thought - Dream Theater
5. You Could Have It So Much Better - Franz Ferdinand
muna  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxuallyAPeasing wrote:
I tried playing a recorder for the vocal part of War Pigs on medium, worked rather well (except when I was laughing too hard for me to play). Next time my friends and I have a video camera I'll try to record it.
A recorder has variables such as leaving part of a hole uncovered, but with something like a keyboard or guitar, once you find out which line height=which note, wouldn't FCs be very easy to get.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find humming to be easier in a lot of spots, particularly sections with a lot of very short pieces that are at the same pitch or very close, like in Dani California or Blitzkrieg Bop. I try and sing for the most part, but I find humming eliminates some of the lag and thus makes it easier to max out ratings on some sections.

That's maybe the biggest difference between Expert Vocals and all other difficulties. On Expert, you're really much more interested in manipulating the system than actually singing the song, which is kinda sad, but it's still fun. I mean, I FC'd Paranoid online yesterday and I had one of the guy's laughing because I was screwing up the words(not a song I listen to) and still getting Awesome ratings by singing the wrong words at the right pitch.

"Think I'll lose my mind if hmm-hmm-hmm-hmm-hmm all the time..." AWESOME

As opposed to I'm So Sick:
"I will breaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak!"
MESSY
Whitecross  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not cheating. just boring to me.
4degrees  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's cheating if your playing at home. But I don't think it would go over as well in a tournament.
muna  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also play vocals on guitar. I put absolutely no work and by just sliding my hand across the fretboard on the A string while strumming, I passed Paranoid on medium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj0f4-SFyAY

I had to play clean so when I did try to immitate the song, it sounded strange.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, when I took vocal lessons from a true master of vocals, the first thing he had me do was hum. Before working on the vowels, before consonants and enunciation, and breath control, the first step was to hum, because you can still practice all of the other fundamentals without using words. So there is where humming actually places in the realm of real singing.

Sig picture brought to you by GuitarHailzā„¢
iagomonk  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some wanker on Youtube (isn't there always)... who programs his keyboard to play the tones to pass vocals on songs.

Whatever gives you enjoyment, I guess.
Nickisimo  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly seems to be considered as cheating, but if you stop and think about it, if humming is such an effective cheating tool, why are there so few people over 10 million on XBL? Seems to me like in order for humming to be at all effective, you have to be pretty good at Vocals in the first place. I'm not trying to say that it's okay for Vocalists to hum an entire song or anything, because I think that does detract from what the game is supposed to be, but it really doesn't make much sense to me. Suppose you can hum through Dani California on Expert and get an FC. If you substituted the actual lyrics to the song for the humming, you'd also get an FC.

What people seem to have a problem with is the idea that a lot of the time it's necessary to mix singing and humming to get good scores on Expert. Between the lag and the nature of the Vocal engine, it's very tough on most songs to sing cleanly(like you would if you were at a Karaoke bar) and get the results you want. I can do it on a few songs, but not many. I'm pretty sure if everyone who had negative opinions on the subject actually tried their hand at Expert Vocals, the whole matter would be cleared up.
youhas  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickisimo wrote:
it's very tough on most songs to sing cleanly(like you would if you were at a Karaoke bar) and get the results you want.

See, I just assume that I'd be drunk off my ass were I actually to lug my sorry self up to the mic at a local karaoke place. Voila: my slurred Expert singing style is justified!

Amusing the world 140 characters at a time: http://www.twitter.com/youhas
Jansin  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not cheating, just lame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: