FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I Think I'm Paranoid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: I Think I'm Paranoid Reply with quote

Anyone do anything special to get by this one?

Background: I did a vocal career on medium and passed everything first time, mostly 5*. I then started an Expert career and I am stuck here because I always get Messy or Weak on the low vocal parts (and usually Ok to Awesome on the high parts). So entering the chorus I'm usually barely alive, then I am recovered by the end of the chorus but not quite as high as I was when I started the song, resulting in me failing out at about 40%.

Last night I played the song on expert guitar while singing it on Hard and not paying much attention to the vocals, and still got through no problem.

Somehow on Expert it's just much, much harder. So... any ideas?
GuestWednesday  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's anything too special about this one. You must just be very slightly out from the written notes for that bit. In hard and easier you're close enough to count, but expert needs to be nearer to the written note. It's not always easy for you to tell, especially for lower notes, and it seems like the game judges you more harshly for lower notes.

You could try the normal tricks: hum the low bit (if you don't think that's too cheap), or sing it an octave higher. Check the general threads on vocal tips and people struggling to sing low.

Other than that it's just practice at getting exactly the right notes. You can see whether it's hitting it or not by the arrow, so try forcing your voice a little higher or lower until you learn the pitch.

You'll love Gimme Shelter. :)
Nickisimo  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing you're talking about the low parts like the very beginning of the song, "You can look but you can touch..."

I tend to make my voice very quiet for those parts and sing almost like I'm talking to someone next to me. Humming some low notes in practice mode going up and down until you find the pitch might help too.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that sucked but I got through it, then blew through another 18 songs. I think with vocals you either get it for a song or you don't.
JoshNeff  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my normal voice for the low parts, then jump to my high "funny voice" for the high stuff.

You COULD also go an octive higher, and drop the pitch, so when it gets low you actually make your voice higher

[ ] 5/6 Star Expert Guitar (~125/137)
[x] finish expert drums
[x] FC DOA (with screaming correctly)
[x] expert vocals all beaten
[x] finish endless setlist (expert)
[x] 5* GGaHT
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Ant 612
ThuDogFood  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
Man that sucked but I got through it, then blew through another 18 songs. I think with vocals you either get it for a song or you don't.

Yup. Even after beating Expert vox, Maps still screws me up...And that's first tier!!!

Anyway, for the low parts, try and think calmly and pretend to be mellow as if you don't care that this is one of your worse songs. Hopefully that'll be a good starting point, and you can mess around from there.

As for the higher parts, you can try to switch octave. Personally it's on the edge of my normal range, so I just work with that, but to each his own.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually better at the higher stuff... I do Tom Sawyer, Long Time, Run to the Hills etc. all in the same octave as the original (although my voice is not quite of the same quality, ahem). I'm obviously off-key somehow in the song but it's not a big deal, I'll gradually work on scores for the songs I like to sing and come back to it when I want to.

For Maps I had a bit of trouble until I realized I was singing the low version of the chorus wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: