FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Drum Rolls Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weebs  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Drum Rolls Help Reply with quote

I searched and didn't really find much specifically covering how to do drum rolls.

I'm stuck on the songs Don't Fear The Reaper (Hard) and The Hand That Feeds (Expert) simply because I can't do rolls. Practice does not seem to help, it seems like I can usually 100% a fairly fast roll up until 70 or 80% speed. I'm able to do fairly fast parts with either my left or right hand just fine, but not with the two at the same time. Are there any drummers that could give me some advice on how to do steady and timed rolls?
sknysklz  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am stuck on dont fear the reaper because of the drum rolls too but i didnt have overdrive going into them so i figure if i do that ill be able to pass easy if that helps you at all...but yea i too need some serious help with drum rolls because i can't get through like 40% of run to the hills on hard
.GH  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could also use help on Rolls.

I mean, I can usually make it through them unles its like Run to the Hills or something, but barely.

My hands cannot comprehend alternating hits, they always end up going at the same time.
warlock7735  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange Crush expert was my roll training song. Don't know how useful it'll be to you, but at the very least it's fun to play.
sknysklz  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warlock7735 wrote:
Orange Crush expert was my roll training song. Don't know how useful it'll be to you, but at the very least it's fun to play.

sorry im not familiar with the setlist yet...is that a bonus track or dlc because i dont remember it from career...then again i dont know the songs very well yet
Zknet  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sknysklz wrote:
sorry im not familiar with the setlist yet...is that a bonus track or dlc because i dont remember it from career...then again i dont know the songs very well yet

It's on the main setlist.
KuroShinnen  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange Crush is 5th tier.

I am stuck on it on expert though, so, I'm going to have to practice it for a bit.
Weebs  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with overdrive I was able to beat the ending of The Hand That Feeds. I have no trouble on the beginning (in fact I usually have a 4x multiplier going), but just the extended rolls at the end. I beat Orange Crush on my first try, but I was in red/yellow pretty much the entire song. Green Grass and High Tides I'm able to do the roll on the blue just fine with one hand, defiantly pretty tiring though.
warlock7735  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're having issues passing orange crush, then maybe try Maps. The 16ths in the verse are hittable with one hand, but try bringing your other hand over to hit the offbeat.
Weebs  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually don't have a problem hitting quick short things, like the intro on Nine Inch Nails or the 16th notes on maps, just the very the long rolls like Orange Crush, The Hand That Feeds, and Don't Fear The Reaper. I'm going to try and practice my rolls on Orange Crush in a bit.
KuroShinnen  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just beat orange crush, and I must say, I am quite a bit more comfortable with rolls and the bass petal at the same time. Great training song.
IBitePrettyHard  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "drum roll" is typically a fast pattern played: RRLLRRLL, two beats per hand.

The fast patterns in these songs aren't necessarily considered "rolls", but just fast 16th note patterns. These are typically played with a RLRLRLRLR sticking. This can also be considered a "single-stroke roll" but it's more commonly referred to as "just fast". lol.

On songs like Run To The Hills, I actually use paradiddles RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL" for the fast Red notes instead of alternating hands, and I use paradiddle-diddles during the section when its just Red + Bass drum. The pattern is RLRRLL-RLRRLL-RLRR-LRLLRR-LRLLRR-LRLL....etc

www.youtube.com/IBitePrettyHardSH | Gamertag: IBitePrettyHard & IBiteLegacy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: IBitePrettyHard
BurntOut  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBitePrettyHard wrote:
A "drum roll" is typically a fast pattern played: RRLLRRLL, two beats per hand.

The fast patterns in these songs aren't necessarily considered "rolls", but just fast 16th note patterns. These are typically played with a RLRLRLRLR sticking. This can also be considered a "single-stroke roll" but it's more commonly referred to as "just fast". lol.

On songs like Run To The Hills, I actually use paradiddles RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL" for the fast Red notes instead of alternating hands, and I use paradiddle-diddles during the section when its just Red + Bass drum. The pattern is RLRRLL-RLRRLL-RLRR-LRLLRR-LRLLRR-LRLL....etc

This. Except on that section in RttH with Red + BD I use RLLRRL RLLRRL RLRL (repeat) to stay righty, and I like that sticking. My left is weak, something I need to generally imrpove as a drummer.

Although even RRLLRRLL isn't a roll in a broad labelling sense...it's a double stroke roll. I'm sure you know that though.

God, you people are loose with drumming terms. Drummerworld forums would be ripping their hair out.
warlock7735  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that the term "roll" in itself is very ambiguous, and most drumming nubs just say "it's 16th+ notes, it's a roll."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: