FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Need Help With Say It Aint So

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themoron111  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Need Help With Say It Aint So Reply with quote

I know this is embarassing, but I just cannot beat that song! I tried everything, cept having someone else sing it for me, and I am really close to letting someone do that. Can anyone help me with this song!
crazymonkey841  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, dont be ashamed, I struggled with it too. You are probably singing off pitch, but the way he sings, its harder to tell what pitch he is on. He has a low voice, so sing an octave higher, or get as low as you can
Fernando011  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also struggle with this song quite a bit. I can't even beat it on medium.
shadow6463  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a vocals noob... I've tried searching and couldn't find it... what is an octave??? I'm still on easy, but I find that if you sing loud and stand up like you were singing at a concert you do better

http://www.erepublik.com/en/referrer/shadow6463
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: shadow6463
Nickisimo  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An octave is just a grouping of frequencies for a set of notes. Like, if you do the Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do thing, The Do's are the same note but on different octaves(usually a C, I think, but I'm not positive). A good way of demonstration might be to find a piano and play only the keys that are an A for example. You'd find that the A would be low in the beginning and then get really high-pitched by the end, but the note itself sounds the same. So, in RB, if you're having trouble reaching a particular note, you could try playing it up or down an octave. I, personally am not very good at this, but others are.
shadow6463  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks I'll try it! I can never get the part where the singer goes super high, maybe I'll sing an octave lower

http://www.erepublik.com/en/referrer/shadow6463
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: shadow6463
themoron111  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a low voice, but I still don't know how he does it. I'm trying to do it on expert (on hard, idk how i did it but i got 2 stars.) so if anyone has really good advice, probably someone really good at singing, please help me.
pmswedge  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoron111 wrote:
I actually have a low voice, but I still don't know how he does it. I'm trying to do it on expert (on hard, idk how i did it but i got 2 stars.) so if anyone has really good advice, probably someone really good at singing, please help me.

So I'm on the other end of the spectrum - I have a very high voice, even for a girl (yes omg a girl on the interwebs!) and I have a harder time with low notes rather than high ones (flyleaf is right in my range).

However, I didn't have a problem with Say It Ain't So. This is probably because I'm an enormous Weezer fan - so it helps that I know the song really well.

Where are you failing at? Are you having problems from the start or is there a phrase that is giving you more trouble?

If it helps, I always sing the first section of the song an octave higher, all the way up to the "Say It Ain't So" part - then I switch back to the normal octave. In your case you might want to sing normal and then switch lower for the Say It Ain't So line.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stuck in that unfun range between baritone and tenor (meaning I can sing things like Creep without any trouble), and I've found that the two things which have made vocals possible for me (ever try BSing your way through Run to the Hills having never heard it? Got me 4 stars, lol) are my amazing falsetto (well, not that amazing, but it gets me another two octaves to play with, I can sing I'm So Sick in the actual octave the singer does) and my impeccable sense of pitch (go go 6+ years of band, piano, et al). If the vocal track is distracting you, turn it off and learn to read just from the chart. Nine out of ten times, if I don't know the song, I'll fish for a note and just read the chart from there, and it works fine once you learn how far apart pitches are on the chart.
themoron111  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmswedge wrote:
themoron111 wrote:

So I'm on the other end of the spectrum - I have a very high voice, even for a girl (yes omg a girl on the interwebs!) and I have a harder time with low notes rather than high ones (flyleaf is right in my range).

However, I didn't have a problem with Say It Ain't So. This is probably because I'm an enormous Weezer fan - so it helps that I know the song really well.

Where are you failing at? Are you having problems from the start or is there a phrase that is giving you more trouble?

If it helps, I always sing the first section of the song an octave higher, all the way up to the "Say It Ain't So" part - then I switch back to the normal octave. In your case you might want to sing normal and then switch lower for the Say It Ain't So line.

I can't sing anything, i get some oks, some weaks, many messies, and the occasional strong
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have passed six songs on expert so far and this was the toughest, failed it once and generally butchered the low parts but did well on the high parts. I think it might be a song where you have to listen carefully to the singer (maybe play the guitar part or something) because he seems to be all around where you'd expect him to be in the verses.
BizCasFri  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickisimo wrote:
The Do's are the same note but on different octaves(usually a C, I think, but I'm not positive).

Do is always a C if you are using the "Fixed Do" system of solmiziation, used mostly in Europe, and in Quebec. However, if you are using the "Movable Do" system, Do is simply the root of whatever key you are singing in, E in E Major, for example.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: UncleGummers
themoron111  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally PASSED, but 3-star
Must gold star or 5star this
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: