FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Not Even Blitzkrieg Bop? A Question on Mic Sensitivity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddrussianinja  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Not Even Blitzkrieg Bop? A Question on Mic Sensitivity Reply with quote

So I got a headset microphone so that I could multitask and to do BWT by myself if need be. First I decided I'd go through vocals on Solo so that I knew the songs.

I decided to start on Hard since I knew how hard Expert was for vocals and since Medium probably would insult my ability.

Then I was shocked to see that I 3-Starred Blitzkrieg Bop on my first try.

I tried again.

4 Stars.

And I can't do any better than that.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I know I'm not a lousy singer because I sang semi-competitively in High School. I know the song really well too.

It's just that for some reason, the game isn't responsive enough. This is especially noticeable when there's a jump between notes. I can do the jump fine, but the game takes so long to process the jump that it thinks I missed it.

I tried messing with the sensitivity but I don't know how to set it just right so that it hears me and responds quickly but isn't so sensitive that it thinks I'm singing when I'm not (which makes talking parts difficult).

I also noticed that turning the mic volume down helps a little, but I'm not sure how high or low I should set it.

Does anyone have any tips for adjusting the mic settings so that the game is as responsive as possible without being spastic? I would be appreciative.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: ddrussianinja
skeltonath  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been lots of complaints about the headset mic lagging from time to time. It's happened to me too. Try doing it with the regular mic on a mic stand. If you don't have a mic stand you'll have to get creative...

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: The Skeltonath
ddrussianinja  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skeltonath wrote:
There has been lots of complaints about the headset mic lagging from time to time. It's happened to me too. Try doing it with the regular mic on a mic stand. If you don't have a mic stand you'll have to get creative...

Oh no, I'm trying to get through solo mode with the mic it came with, I was just explaining my context because I like to be contextual.

But yeah, I just want to know how to set the sensitivity and volume so that it best fits me and they don't really explain how.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: ddrussianinja
MasterBlaster  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly haven't had any problems with the normal mic with the sensitivity all the way up. Have you tried 3/4? That sounds about normal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the exact same problem. I even noticed it on Blitzkrieg Bop as well. It seems that the arrow slides up from the last position it detected, regardless of how you sing. If this is affecting the way the game scores, this is a serious software error that needs to be fixed. I hope this isn't the case.
pmswedge  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've left everything on default and it seems to work okay for me.

HOWEVER.

I am not exactly using the mic that came with the game. I'm using the one from Karaoke Revolution (the logitech one) and while I haven't fully tested it, I think it actually works better than the Rock Band mic (which I use on my roommate's TV). Not sure if the mic itself lags a bit... it sometimes feels like it does when doing the percussion sections, despite the fact that we have adjusted the TV for lag.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard a few people complain about how in the song it won't give you a good rating on the talking part thats just "hey.....ho.........lets go" If you listen to the actual song, the hey sounds more like an I or hi, and the ho sounds more like oh. Try making it sound like that and see how you do.
seraph1337  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just fced this song today actually. honestly -- the first song i've fced on expert vocals. i don't know about how you guys roll but i have determined that plugging the mic directly into the 360 rather than through the usb hub works much better. when i was running the mic through the hub i had to sing/speak about a second early. when i ran it straight in i aced it on my first try.

other than that, don't bounce on the notes -- hold them and run through them. if that makes any sense. rather than percussively singing the notes -- staccato -- try going a little more even -- legato. you don't get penalized when you sing and you aren't supposed to, so by all means, if it helps you keep pitch, do it!

hope that helps a little.

-seraph
overlordandm  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that it helps to sort of do a hum or something before notes that are pitched notes. This is to make sure you have the pitch right. Start a couple seconds before the next note and try to get your arrow thing in the exact spot where the next pitch is. it works for every song.
Nickisimo  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blitzkrieg Bop's talky parts are extremely forgiving. Just say I-oh-let's go and you'll almost always fill it up well before the phrase ends. Not sure that this should be song 1 on the setlist - I'm kind of confused with how they set up the Vocal tiers; Reptilia is in the middle? - but that's a different issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: