FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
"Drum Rocker" vs DIY Kit - Some Pros and Cons...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PopSmith  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: "Drum Rocker" vs DIY Kit - Some Pros and Cons... Reply with quote

OK, I have been debating if I want to dive in and purchase the Drum Rocker or just buy a Roland, Yamaha, or Yoki kit off eBay and set it up myself.

I am looking for feedback as well as any additional pros/cons that you can think of that I didn't list.

First I will start with the Drum Rocker:

Pros:

• Already setup to work with RB1 and RB2.

• If you have a 360 you can get one as soon as they launch.

• Don't have to solder anything, a plus for some.

• Built by Alesis, who makes good quality stuff from what I gather and it's compatible with their "brains".

• Possibly cheaper than a DIY solution at $345 shipped. While the shipping rate may vary that is the "shipped" price I was given.

Cons:

• No satisfaction, which matters to some, that you wired up a kit yourself.

• Only two cymbals are included, most (all?) "real" kits come with 3 or more. An extra cymbal is $50 ($408 total with extra cymbal and shipping).

• No drum brain, so it is basically useless outside of RB unless you want to drop another $360 on the Alesis brain for it. This would bring the total, shipped, to $788 with the module and third cymbal or $725 with just the module.

• Temporarily only available for the 360.

• "Fake" bass pedal, it comes with a hi-hat pedal instead of a real one.

• Probably no "resale" value after the initial year, maybe sooner.

DIY Solution

Pros:

• Satisfaction that you wired the kit for RB. Some may want this, others may not care.

• The kit is as nice as you want, or can afford.

• Expansion, if necessary, is probably easier and cheaper than the "Drum Rocker".

• A "brain" is almost always included, which could eliminate the possible price disadvantage of the DIY solution vs the "Drum Rocker".

• Three (or more) cymbals

• Program any part of the drum kit to function as you wish. Want one of the extra cymbals to function as "Start"? Go ahead.

• Compatible with any console. While this is an assumed "Pro" the Drum Rocker won't be out for a bit for the PS3 or Wii. With doing it yourself it is available right from the get go.

• Resale value, as akwok pointed out, if you want or need to you can sell the DIY kit, either with or without the RB setup, for a reasonable amount as the drums are unmodified.

Cons:

• Soldering - May not be a problem for some, and it maybe a problem for others.

• Probably more expensive if you are just using the kit for RB.

• Takes up more room. From what I gathered out of pictures the "Drum Rocker" is smaller than a regular kit.

Again, feedback is welcome on this.

While I am doing this mainly for myself, as I have been debating doing this for a while, with the "Drum Rocker" coming out I am sure others have wondered some of the Pros and Cons to both ways.

[ ] Buy a real electronic or acoustic drum set and learn to play it decently.

Last edited by PopSmith on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:53 am; edited 3 times in total
akwok  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to go for the DIY route. My TD-3SW and MSA-P are due to arrive in a week or so.

My thoughts:

It's $299 + $50 shipping + $50 for extra cymbals + $350 for a 'compatible' drum brain for the Drum Rocker. That's $749 in total. Also note that you might want to spend some extra money into getting a REAL bass pedal + trigger (not a hi-hat pedal) when you want to use it as a real kit..

A new Roland TD-3SW (the one with mesh snare) is $999. An assembled MSA-P is $80. So the total cost is about $1080.

You'll end up paying an extra $231 but you get a much better built kit and a lot more customizability. If you don't to splurge that much money on a TD-3SW, you can buy a used Yamaha DTXplorer for about $450 on eBay.

You should also factor in depreciation and resell value; the Drum Rocker is likely to be near worthless in a year or two, since it is reasonable to assume that a new 'uber' set for RB3/4 will be out by then. On the other hand, Rolands have been known to resell rather well..

Last edited by akwok on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
PopSmith  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the "resale" thing as well as the pedal "problem" so I added those to the list. :P
xBaDxHackeRx  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akwok wrote:
I decided to go for the DIY route. My TD-3SW and MSA-P are due to arrive in a week or so.

My thoughts:

It's $399 + $50 shipping + $50 for extra cymbals + $350 for a 'compatible' drum brain for the Drum Rocker. That's $849 in total. Also note that you might want to spend some extra money into getting a REAL bass pedal + trigger (not a hi-hat pedal) when you want to use it as a real kit..

A new Roland TD-3SW (the one with mesh snare) is $999. An assembled MSA-P is $80. So the total cost is about $1080.

You'll end up paying an extra $231 but you get a much better built kit and a lot more customizability. If you don't to splurge that much money on a TD-3SW, you can buy a used Yamaha DTXplorer for about $450 on eBay.

You should also factor in depreciation and resell value; the Drum Rocker is likely to be near worthless in a year or two, since it is reasonable to assume that a new 'uber' set for RB3/4 will be out by then. On the other hand, Rolands have been known to resell rather well..

$300. So it's a total of $749. So you're paying an extra $331.

Hardware Forum Lurker
akwok  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. My bad.. editing.
Kyahx  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, the ideal solution would be for ION to sell the brain-alone, for ~$100. If the pads on the Drum Rocker work with a standard drum brain, there is no reason standard pads shouldn't work with the ION brain.

Go go consumer pressure? Try to get them to sell the brain alone.

Edit: They apparently already plan on doing this

Quote:
Q: If I want just the brain without the rest of the drums, will that be available for purchase separately? If so, when and how much?

A: We have not finalized plans to sell the Drum Rocker controller module separately, but expect that we will do so later in the year. However, it’s important to note that we intend to do so to allow Drum Rocker users who own multiple consoles to use a single Drum Rocker kit with all of their systems, not for people to use the controller module with other electronic drum and cymbal pads.

The module was designed specifically for use with the Drum Rocker drum and cymbal pads, which have a unique set of output characteristics (as do all electronic drum and cymbal pads). Lots of work has been done to ensure that Drum Rocker is optimized for Rock Band performance, in terms of trigger sensitivity, crosstalk rejection, latency, and more, and the design of the module has been tuned to deliver the best possible performance in conjunction with the Drum Rocker pads. Plugging another set of pads that happen to have 1/4" outputs into the Drum Rocker module will not yield the same results as using a Drum Rocker kit, and in fact may not work at all.

However, if your goal is to have a single electronic drum set that can be used with your existing drum module and Rock Band as well, you can go at this from another angle. We would suggest that you get a Drum Rocker set, and use the Drum Rocker pads with your existing electronic drum module. If it's got 1/4" inputs and its input sensitivity can be adjusted, you should be able to combine the Drum Rocker pads with your existing module, and have exactly what you're after - a single kit for playing games and playing music!

gitarzann  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, it may be a good idea to wait until the Madcatz portable kit is released before making a decision. That portable kit has 1/8 jacks for the pads and pedals.

If you already have an electronic kit, or would rather buy a better quality kit, wait and see if you can buy 1/4 adapters and use that brain to connect an e-kit. I think the price for that portable kit is $60. so it may turn out to be an excellent solution.

As for me, I pre-ordered the Ion kit. I'm capable of DIY type things but in this case I wanted something that was ready to go out of the box since I'm in school and work full time. I know a lot of real drummers have put down this as a crappy kit but I'm willing to give it a try.

The report on rockgamer.com-- they got to play RB2 in a bar with Harmonix recently-- says that they were told that the footprint for the Ion kit is not much more than the RB kit. That's huge for me since I have very limited space.
Xusder  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gitarzann wrote:
I know a lot of real drummers have put down this as a crappy kit but I'm willing to give it a try.

True.

Hell, it may even be better to build your own kit.

But nothing can wipe away the stain that is the original Rock Band drum kit.

I was just thinking why EA didn't do this sooner, especially when Rock Band 1 came out. They could have partnered with the electronic drum kit makers and saved us the hassle of broken or unreliable hardware. Although, the set would have cost more, considering the licensing and manufacture, I would have gladly gotten this instead of the crap the gave us.

No disrespect to Harmonix, they developed one hell of a good game .

Anyways, I pre-ordered the set for the sole reason that I, for the love of god, cannot make my own drum kit. I have no electronics or mechanical know how to create a D.I.Y. kit. Or maybe I'm just lazy...

gitarzann wrote:
The report on rockgamer.com-- they got to play RB2 in a bar with Harmonix recently-- says that they were told that the footprint for the Ion kit is not much more than the RB kit. That's huge for me since I have very limited space.

That's awesome and thanks for the info. I already have enough problems with my Acoustic Kit not fitting in my small ass room (it's tucked safely in the garage, where it's freaking hot as hell during the day).

EDIT: Props to the topic creator. Outlined the pros and cons nicely.

ALL OF MY D.L.C. All RB 1/2 DLC, All RB:N DLC, All TB:RB DLC, All Exports (RB 1/L:RB/GD:RB). Pray for my Hard Drive!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Xusder PSN Name: Xusder Wii Friend Code: 2904437187104594
leilong  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "Drum Rocker" vs DIY Kit - Some Pros and Cons. Reply with quote

PopSmith wrote:

• No drum brain, so it is basically useless outside of RB unless you want to drop another $250+ on a Alesis brain.

• "Fake" bass pedal, it comes with a hi-hat pedal instead of a real one.

No drum brain probably won't be a problem for long, as programs have already been made for the "joystick grade" drums. With the advent of velocity sensitivity on the set, it will have to carry over in some sense, allowing the USB communication between computers, meaning that your nearest laptop will be all the brain you probably will need (still limiting you to only 4 pads and a pedal in sent signals however).

At some point, they're going to have to offer individual replacement parts. As it seems that all pads connect with the same type of plug, how hard will it really be to buy a "replacement" pad, an extra pad mount, and a real foot pedal, and mount it low? Problem solved. Take your extra cymbal out, put your "hi-hat" pedal in your... hi-hat?(yellow) Giving you endless potential for reorganization on the set itself. Hell, if you wanted to use the green cymbal exclusively as your... cymbal, you could just re-plug and re-mount your green/new-low-drum + real foot pedal, with just getting a real foot pedal.

It's all made of epic win, and because it's a fully customizable puzzle, amazing things can and will happen.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: "Drum Rocker" vs DIY Kit - Some Pros and Cons. Reply with quote

leilong wrote:

No drum brain probably won't be a problem for long, as programs have already been made for the "joystick grade" drums. With the advent of velocity sensitivity on the set, it will have to carry over in some sense, allowing the USB communication between computers, meaning that your nearest laptop will be all the brain you probably will need (still limiting you to only 4 pads and a pedal in sent signals however).

Interesting, and I like your thinking. While time will tell if something like this develops, someone may indeed create something like this soon after the "Drum Rocker" release.

Xusder wrote:

EDIT: Props to the topic creator. Outlined the pros and cons nicely.

Thanks! I tried to "hit" what I could while keep it organized.
Xusder  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: "Drum Rocker" vs DIY Kit - Some Pros and Cons. Reply with quote

leilong wrote:

At some point, they're going to have to offer individual replacement parts. As it seems that all pads connect with the same type of plug, how hard will it really be to buy a "replacement" pad, an extra pad mount, and a real foot pedal, and mount it low? Problem solved. Take your extra cymbal out, put your "hi-hat" pedal in your... hi-hat?(yellow) Giving you endless potential for reorganization on the set itself. Hell, if you wanted to use the green cymbal exclusively as your... cymbal, you could just re-plug and re-mount your green/new-low-drum + real foot pedal, with just getting a real foot pedal.

It's all made of epic win, and because it's a fully customizable puzzle, amazing things can and will happen.

True, in all senses of the word.

Look at the program "Drum Machine" by Andrew Rudson. I guarantee that someone smarter and more hardcore will develop an open source virtual drum brain (Or is there already? Now I gotta look it up, great...). Then we can just plug in the ion kit and rock away, without buying a $300 for a drum brain.

ALL OF MY D.L.C. All RB 1/2 DLC, All RB:N DLC, All TB:RB DLC, All Exports (RB 1/L:RB/GD:RB). Pray for my Hard Drive!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Xusder PSN Name: Xusder Wii Friend Code: 2904437187104594
PopSmith  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated the OP with the following prices that have been recently added to the "Drum Rocker" site:

The cymbal expansion - $50

ION Drum Throne - $40

Double-kick "expansion" - $40

Alesis DM5 professional Drum Module - $360

[ ] Buy a real electronic or acoustic drum set and learn to play it decently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: