FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tips on holding teh stix?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGlow  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Tips on holding teh stix? Reply with quote

I think I need assistance.
I do ok as is. I try to hold them nice and loose in my hands, little choked up like I've seen online.
But then sometimes I start not having hits pick up with my right so I end up having my index out to apply more pressure on it.
And then I did day late, dollar short (or whatever it is) on medium and made my whole hand numb.
Shortmann  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you hold the sticks too loosley, they are going to slide down your hand, and you'll lose control. If you hold them too tightly, your not going to get an rebound or bounce on the bads, and hurt your wrists and possibly actually damage them and your endurance will go to pieces.

The best way to hold the sticks is to have a semi-firm grip, by pinching them between your thumb and your index finger, and using your other three fingers to control the bounce. You'll still use the wrist for the movements, but the other fingers will help keep you in control.

Other than that, I'm really not sure how to explain it. It's really hard to tell someone over the internet how to hold sticks, as it's much easier to demonstrate and show them.
rhythmdev9  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this a bit lengthy but totally the best thing i've found...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vfKj8FGvYAM

whatever you do don't hold them like the guy on the right here

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YNJYrd0or78

and this guy need to get is damn pink on the sticks!!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EAWd7nTAK0Y[/url]
dragoon013  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad always goes on about traditional grip (dominant hand overhand, weak hand underhand), because he learned to play drums from his marching band friends. I don't really know anyone who uses it, as most people just naturally start using matched grip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: