FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Where are the channel descriptions for moggs stored?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
craventrio  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Where are the channel descriptions for moggs stored? Reply with quote

The moggs seem to have a very variable number of tracks (I've seen between 4 and 14), and even when two songs have the same number of tracks they don't always use each track number for the same purpose (eg "6 drums, 1 bass, 2 guitar, 2 vocal, 2 rest" vs "5 drums, 1 bass, 2 guitar, 1 vocal, 2 rest, 2 audience")

So surely the game stores somewhere a description of what each track in a song is for:
- whether it is left channel, right channel or mono (or possibly pan/gain?)
- whether it is drums (and which of the 5 drums it maps to), bass, guitar, vocals, the rest of the band or the audience.

Does anyone know if these are stored in the non-standard parts of the mogg file, or separately somewhere else? vorbisfile (which audacity successfully uses to import all the channels in the mogg as mono tracks) doesn't seem to have any way to access any more information from the files. The midi files don't seem to contain enough information for this (maybe it's hiding cryptically in events or something like that though?).

GH2 for 360 used multi channel ogg files too didn't it - so how was it done there? There were customs for 360 too so people must have been able to generate ogg files that it understood.
TNTX  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOGG discussion is generally forbidden, but as we have generally the same thing with our VGS files, it should be alright.

0, 1, 2, 3 - Drum parts. Always. Even 29 Fingers has all 5, because you can free-style before hand. All are Left/Right. Not sure where the kick is.

4 - Bass Parts, Bass, or Left/Right, depending on your setup.

5, 6 - Guitar Parts, Left and Right

7, 8 - Vocal Parts, Left/Right, Not all songs have 8.

Anything else is 360/PS3 exclusive, and I wouldn't know.

This gives us our 8- or 9-channel audio. Since the majority of songs on here are Master Tracks, this doesn't pose a problem. But for customs, we don't usually have Master Tracks. What's been suggested for this is to stick the audio into tracks 7 and 8 and leave the rest blank, so the audio plays no matter what unless your singer fails.
Look no further!

BNSClub.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Zero0920
GameZelda  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check songs.dtb, in the PS2 versions of GH/RB the channel descriptions were stored here.

GH:WT-PS2 Customization Progress
[100%] Make it work (w/songs loading) in a DVD5 (thanks psychospacefish!)
[100%] Modify audio (Finally done 25/11/2008)
[100%] Modify charts (Done 26/11/2008! Customs finally )
pksage  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameZelda wrote:
Check songs.dtb, in the PS2 versions of GH/RB the channel descriptions were stored here.

Yeah, it's almost certainly in the DTBs. I doubt Harmonix would change how they code this kind of thing unless they had to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: pksage
laconic  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TNTX wrote:
0, 1, 2, 3 - Drum parts. Always.

My tests show this to be wrong (at least on 360 version). Most of the time, drums have 4 channels: bass, snare, cymbals/toms (left), cymbals/toms (right). Sometimes there are less than 4, Sprode has 2 (drums (left) and drums (right)). Sometimes more than 4, Rock Rebellion has 5 (snare (left) and snare (right)).

So you could probably make a 6 channel audio file with the first 4 channels blank and the song in the last two. Then set the dta up as so...
Code:
(tracks
        ((drum 0)
         (bass 1)
         (guitar 2)
         (vocals 3)
        )
    )
    ;         DMS BAS GTR VOX  TRACKS
    (pans   ( 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 -1.0 1.0 ))
TNTX  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, these audios are quite confusing. All of the on-disc songs seem to have 0-3 for drums, always. I think the only exception I've seen is worstcase, which has 0-4, and 2 channels beyond that for each instrument.
Look no further!

BNSClub.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Zero0920
MCP  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For inserting the audio parts into the vocals (7 and 8 depending on the song), that would if the singer failed, the audio would be gone. However, if we stick the audio into both the vocals and guitar parts, this would mean that both would have to fail for everything to stop playing? Is this right or even possible and how would the disc size change if we did this?
kevnin  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tntx:
open up your ps2 archive, go to songs\songs.dta. open it in notepad.
ctrl-f, search for "bass (2" and you will realize that some songs use only 2 channels for drums. some songs use one or two channels for bass and guitar. some songs use two channels for vocals. there is only one song in the ps2 version that REFERENCES all nine channels in the dtb's, but they ALL have and use all 9 channels. if it's not referenced in the dtb under songname/song/tracks then it's played as background audio. in the dta (uncompiled) the comments are there so you can see specifically which drum is with which channel.

in the 360 version, there's even more variation because they often use more than 9 channels.
LocalH  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TNTX wrote:
MOGG discussion is generally forbidden, but as we have generally the same thing with our VGS files, it should be alright.

Encrypted MOGG discussion is forbidden. The game accepts unencrypted MOGGs (or for that matter, as I understand it, anything that's encrypted will also work unencrypted, which is an implicit nod to the custom scene =P).

Alakaiser sez: POST BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY, NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING.
craventrio  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, there's a lot of variation in number of channels in the 360 moggs and some don't have ANY drum or guitar tracks (the short versions that are only for solo vocals). Maybe you won't even need empty tracks in customs?

songs.dtb has it all in, including pans and vols, thanks for the help.
ccfman2004  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I parse the info in the songs.dtb file?
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: chuckthetekkie PSN Name: chuckthetekkie
kevnin  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're just curious to see, you're better off using the associated .dta file which is always in the directory above the .dtb file and opening that with a text editor (i like notepad).

if you want to edit them, you'll need xorloser's modified version of Nachyoz' dtb editor (and you'll have to google for xorloser, because linking to his tools is forbidden due to other possible uses)
ccfman2004  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I already had xorloser's site bookmarked.

besides his site is just his name plus .com
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: chuckthetekkie PSN Name: chuckthetekkie
craventrio  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevnin wrote:
if you're just curious to see, you're better off using the associated .dta file which is always in the directory above the .dtb file and opening that with a text editor (i like notepad).

Hmm I've not seen any .dta files. You mean outside the .ark files? The .dtb was easy enough to find out how to read, but an easy plaintext version is always handy though.
TNTX  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craventrio wrote:
Hmm I've not seen any .dta files. You mean outside the .ark files?

Code:
.\
-[songs]
--songs.dta
--[gen]
---songs.dtb

Somewhat like this.
Look no further!

BNSClub.png
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: