FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Perhaps not Technique....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chute  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Perhaps not Technique.... Reply with quote

But boy do these videos make up for it in style (and illustrate broken gameplay. ;p)

When you were young - How to FC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USMSeasACIA

Sploiting Sabotage - Mics, socks, and plastic bags, oh my.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWf_VBDZ1kI

I also made a post on the HMX forums about how broken talky parts are, but I doubt anyone from HMX read it, or cared. (just people who like telling me I sound like garbage and make fun of my moobs). :P
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31349

... and counting ;)

gamertag: Mjlo
Vixenita  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO!

My favorite part of the sabotage video is at the end when you go
"137k.. I think that's enough for gold... YES!" HAHAHAHAHAAH!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Vixenita
rabies  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man...I don't know what to think or say. I just watched the sabotage one..and your score destroys anything I have ever done by legitamately trying..

..apparantly a plastic bag and sock are better rappers than I am..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please nobody hit that during the League this week? *sigh*
Nickisimo  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching that made me realize why I can't FC Sabotage. I can't sing as well as a rustling plastic bag over a sock.
Sikaris  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... that guy in the WYWY comments totally has to be BSing... he doesn't even know how the leaderboards work
chute  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickisimo wrote:
Watching that made me realize why I can't FC Sabotage. I can't sing as well as a rustling plastic bag over a sock.

It's a sad day in a man's life when he realizes he can't sing his way out of a plastic bag.

*rimshot*

J/k nick

... and counting ;)

MACGYVERRRRRRRRR  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabies wrote:
man...I don't know what to think or say. I just watched the sabotage one..and your score destroys anything I have ever done by legitamately trying..

..apparantly a plastic bag and sock are better rappers than I am..

Better wrappers as well.
NumberCruncher  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see how this proves that talky parts are fundamentally broken (many of them are, but this isn't proof of it). It seems like, for most talking parts, it's mainly just looking for consonants at the right timing. Chute just found a way to spam it with what it deems consonant sounds, so he's almost guaranteed to hit all the times it wants them (and a ton of extra, but I guess it doesn't penalize him for that).

If anything, this proves that its voiceless fricative consonant detection at least works somewhat well. The real problem is that its vowel detection is bad, so all vowel phrases like the "Ow!" and the Number of the Beast scream become nearly impossible to hit.
chute  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NumberCruncher wrote:
I don't really see how this proves that talky parts are fundamentally broken

Before I made this video, I was just barely getting 5 stars. My point is that whatever's wrong with it, I shouldn't be able to get a higher score by rubbing a plastic bag than saying the actual words at approximately the right timing and pitch. When I try to do that I miss at least 5-6 phrases, if not more. With the bag, after about half an hour of practice, I was down to less than 4 misses, consistantly (and those that I missed were strong about half the time)

Also, if you pay close attention the spins don't always sync up with where you think they should. I can mumble this song (very badly) and still get pretty good scores; I don't think it's finding any fricatives there. :P

... and counting ;)

Vixenita  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NumberCruncher wrote:
I don't really see how this proves that talky parts are fundamentally broken (many of them are, but this isn't proof of it). It seems like, for most talking parts, it's mainly just looking for consonants at the right timing. Chute just found a way to spam it with what it deems consonant sounds, so he's almost guaranteed to hit all the times it wants them (and a ton of extra, but I guess it doesn't penalize him for that).

If anything, this proves that its voiceless fricative consonant detection at least works somewhat well. The real problem is that its vowel detection is bad, so all vowel phrases like the "Ow!" and the Number of the Beast scream become nearly impossible to hit.

Is that a joke?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Vixenita
shadow6463  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this. Unfortunately my sister walked in. And I didn't have pants on, only boxers. She was visibly shaken.

http://www.erepublik.com/en/referrer/shadow6463
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: shadow6463
NumberCruncher  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chute wrote:
My point is that whatever's wrong with it, I shouldn't be able to get a higher score by rubbing a plastic bag than saying the actual words at approximately the right timing and pitch.
I guess my point is that I see no reason why not. Just think of many of the talky parts as cowbell sections with odd timing, only it's looking for consonants as opposed to any input. Rubbing the bag is would be like just hitting the A button really fast on the tambourine parts - it gives tons of excess input, but is thus virtually guaranteed to input when the game wants it as well. Since there is no penalty for the extraneous input, there's no reason a plastic bage shouldn't do just as well (if not better), than a human at hitting the consonants.

Again, many talky sections are broken, but these videos do nothing to prove that. Demonstrating a method that works extremely easily does not prove that more normal methods are unworkable. That would be like saying riding an escalator proves it's impossible to walk up stairs. Additionally, a world in which escalators did not work would not by extension be on in which walking up stairs would be any easier.

chute wrote:
I can mumble this song (very badly) and still get pretty good scores; I don't think it's finding any fricatives there. :P
A fricative is a type of consonant, so it likely was. Voiceless fricatives (th as in thorn, sh, ch, and f) happen to sound fairly similar to the noises of a rustling plastic bag.

shadow6463 wrote:
I tried this. Unfortunately my sister walked in. And I didn't have pants on, only boxers. She was visibly shaken.
That is an amusing anecdote.
chute  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from another thread:

CaptainDecoy wrote:
I managed to rub out (can we please call the technique this name?) the first and third

I hereby declare this technique "Rubbing out a phrase"

... and counting ;)

HoboBobulus  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the new name syncs up well with Shadow6463's anecdote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: