FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Just finished Hard Vocals last night... I have a question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrkuo  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Just finished Hard Vocals last night... I have a question. Reply with quote

I passed all 45 hard songs on sightread without a problem. Only two were 3-stars and I had 31 5-stars. Although I had to hum and make strange noises for some of the later songs that I had no idea how to sing, I had no issues with most songs. One that sticks out is Sabotage, probably one of my 3-stars. What a horrible song to sing! What's the trick for those talky parts?

Another question: How well would I handle expert vocals with what I achieved on sightread on hard? Although I haven't put much time into singing for RB, I used to have friends over to sing in Karaoke Revolution quite a bit. I'm sure that definitely helped me with my sightreads.

It seems that not a lot of people work on their vocal solo careers. After simply sightreading the 45 hard campaign songs, I'm already a top 1000 rank. I would imagine that finishing up the bonus songs would bring me at least to top 500.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look around and you'll see Sabotage (and other talky-part heavy songs) are a pain for everyone. (WTF... I SAID the words - How do I get a FAIL?)

If you're cake-walking through hard, you probably won't have any trouble with Expert. (Although 3 stars isn't exactly killing it, so prepare to get booed on those songs)

And lastly - as you observed, there's not much competition on the vocal leaderboards, so don't get too smug.
AJayN85  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll do fine on Expert. You might fail those 3-star songs, but I don't think you'll have too much trouble. The difference between Hard and Expert is how much more exact you have to be with the pitch, and how much longer the "pie" or phrase meter takes to fill. There shouldn't be any differences in note tubes, so you won't have to sightread anything new. Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: AJayN85 Wii Friend Code: 6157189564583521
mrkuo  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJayN85 wrote:
I think you'll do fine on Expert. You might fail those 3-star songs, but I don't think you'll have too much trouble. The difference between Hard and Expert is how much more exact you have to be with the pitch, and how much longer the "pie" or phrase meter takes to fill. There shouldn't be any differences in note tubes, so you won't have to sightread anything new. Good luck!

Thanks! I'll give a few songs a shot today.

5-starred the first tier and even FC'd Paranoid with a 27th place. :p

Hummed that song though, I don't think I could sing it through and FC it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iagomonk wrote:
Look around and you'll see Sabotage (and other talky-part heavy songs) are a pain for everyone. (WTF... I SAID the words - How do I get a FAIL?)

If you're cake-walking through hard, you probably won't have any trouble with Expert. (Although 3 stars isn't exactly killing it, so prepare to get booed on those songs)

And lastly - as you observed, there's not much competition on the vocal leaderboards, so don't get too smug.

Competition gets tight around the top 100, and especially top 50, to top 20 to top 5.
It takes quite a few gold stars to get in the top 100. If you do that well on sightread, if you buckle down and practice hard, you could get 8 million career fairly easily.
sburymadness  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try turning your sensitivity down on the mic for songs that are "talky part" heavy, I've heard it works well, and I tried it on Epic on hard vocals and got 1st place with it. Only missed one phrase, just don't be afraid to eat the mic when you actually have to sing.

mrkuo  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sburymadness wrote:
Try turning your sensitivity down on the mic for songs that are "talky part" heavy, I've heard it works well, and I tried it on Epic on hard vocals and got 1st place with it. Only missed one phrase, just don't be afraid to eat the mic when you actually have to sing.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it out on Sabotage if I ever play it again.

I played through 43 out of 45 career songs yesterday on expert, yielding myself 31 5-stars. I'll finish up the last two songs when I go back today, so I might actually have more sightread 5-stars on expert than hard.

To tell you the truth, I don't see myself doing this vocal thing competitively. I'll probably stop vocal solo career after I sightread scores for all the bonus songs. On my run through expert, I hummed through at least 2/3 of the song, as that was more efficient for scoring. I'm pretty sure that I could perfect the humming for all songs and eventually 6-star most, but that just completely takes the fun out of it.

Do all the top players hum for top scores in at least a few songs? I really don't see anyone having the ability to sing 6-stars in all the different possible vocal ranges this song offers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrkuo wrote:

Do all the top players hum for top scores in at least a few songs? I really don't see anyone having the ability to sing 6-stars in all the different possible vocal ranges this song offers.

I sing all of them outside of I Get By...

Im about 20th here on Expert and about 80th on XBL
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
pmswedge  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrkuo wrote:

I'm not quite at the top (yet ) but I definitely don't hum anything. I do a lot of octave switches though, in order to deal with the range thing.

The closest I come to humming is slurring some of the words together because they go so fast. Things like Are You Gonna Be My Girl and Train Kept a Rollin come to mind...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies wedge and cdylan. Can I ask what type of sightread scores you guys had on expert your first time through?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started on medium soo.... lol

I didn't fail throughout the career on X at all... However I had many 4 stars. now i know how to go up an octave (I have a high voice so i have to do it often. currently 52/58 5 stars on X)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
mrkuo  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdylan13 wrote:

I didn't fail throughout the career on X at all... However I had many 4 stars. now i know how to go up an octave (I have a high voice so i have to do it often. currently 52/58 5 stars on X)

On medium eh? So you've really sang your share of songs when it comes to solo career. I'm guessing I'll have about 38-40 5-stars once I finish expert career. I wonder if that will take me to top 200 expert on XBL. I checked the cut-off for top 100, it's about 8.3 million. By my estimation, I'll be around 7 point something million when I'm done.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrkuo wrote:
Thanks for the replies wedge and cdylan. Can I ask what type of sightread scores you guys had on expert your first time through?

Pretty bad... mostly 3*s.

I skipped straight to expert though, and I didn't already know any of these songs. On stuff I DID know I did 5* them first time through but that was like.. 4 songs in the first tier ;) The rest of the songs I spent trying to search for the right pitch and thus ended up 3*'ing most of them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrkuo wrote:
cdylan13 wrote:

On medium eh? So you've really sang your share of songs when it comes to solo career. I'm guessing I'll have about 38-40 5-stars once I finish expert career. I wonder if that will take me to top 200 expert on XBL. I checked the cut-off for top 100, it's about 8.3 million. By my estimation, I'll be around 7 point something million when I'm done.

not much really lol
mrkuo  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdylan13 wrote:
mrkuo wrote:

I sing all of them outside of I Get By...

Im about 20th here on Expert and about 80th on XBL

Speaking of the devil... 4 fails in a row after all passes on this song!!

EDIT: and then 5-starred it on the 5th

Sightread results: 7.6 million, 40 5-stars, 2 6-stars. Good for 34th on scorehero and 170th on XBL. Rank 34 seems so close to you guys: 22 and 15th, but that's 2.4 million and 1.1 million off!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: