FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How do I get better?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingyami3  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first things that I learned from MN and D4 when I started doing harmonies with them was that you have some leeway to breathe at the beginning of phrases as it's the part that's worth the least amount of pie but you also need to vibrato the end of the phrase if you do this to make up for the part that you missed. So be careful if you're going to do this. Also, this is only advised if the phrases are really close together and long enough.

I know that this was a little off topic to bring up seeing as you're all talking about octaves and shit but it's still useful.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kingyami3SH
Koetsu  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just got the 90% Medium goal, so I must be making some progress. My scores are averaging about 85%, but still really low compared to everyone else who gets 97%+

I think the most upsetting example from today was when I played Aerials. I'm sure I hit none of the parts for the outro and all the other parts like it. The thing with these "easy" parts is that its so easy to miss and especially on the lower parts since the arrow just bounces around or locks around the middle. I did some practice and no matter what the pitch of my voice was, it didn't matter since none of it counted anyways. In fact, it felt like pitch was all relative. It didn't matter how high or low pitched I sounded, the arrow always bobbed around the lower section.

So because of this, is the problem somewhere else and not on the singing?
Icemage  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koetsu wrote:

The only way we can diagnose what you're doing wrong (if anything) is if you can record yourself playing the game and post it someplace. Got a smartphone, or some other way of capturing audio?
CaptCalamity  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
Koetsu wrote:

The only way we can diagnose what you're doing wrong (if anything) is if you can record yourself playing the game and post it someplace. Got a smartphone, or some other way of capturing audio?

I only have a couple of things to add, and I'll go ahead and risk the 800-pound gorilla question. Do you know for a fact that you can carry a tune? There's no sin in not being able to, and I'm just asking for clarity, just to eliminate it. Some people who are tone-deaf, or nearly so, don't even realize they are. And I'll go ahead and apologize for asking the obvious, but at least we can check it off.

One thing that I do for a song I've rarely heard is just put it in practice mode, and intently listen while I watch the chart go by. The reason for this is that sometimes small inflections and note directions on the chart don't necessarily match what was originally recorded, especially at expert level. The people who chart get tricksy just for kicks sometimes.

Also, I find it helpful to do a run, then note the phrases that I missed, and isolate them in practice mode until I'm able to get it right. Then, I can put them together in a complete run.

Another typical music-teacher's trick: you're more accurate, and you sound better, if you use some diaphragm support, and the best way to do that is to stand up while singing. When I'm just goofing off with my drinkin' buddies, I'll still sit on an upright chair or a drummer's throne to sing, because I get winded if I try to sing sitting on a couch or recliner. If I'm making a video or want to sound good, it's standing up. Keep your spine up and push with your diaphragm under your sternum.

I don't know if any of this helps, but I thought I would just throw the obvious out there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: CaptCalamity
Koetsu  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptCalamity wrote:
Icemage wrote:
Koetsu wrote:

I only have a couple of things to add, and I'll go ahead and risk the 800-pound gorilla question. Do you know for a fact that you can carry a tune? There's no sin in not being able to, and I'm just asking for clarity, just to eliminate it. Some people who are tone-deaf, or nearly so, don't even realize they are. And I'll go ahead and apologize for asking the obvious, but at least we can check it off.

One thing that I do for a song I've rarely heard is just put it in practice mode, and intently listen while I watch the chart go by. The reason for this is that sometimes small inflections and note directions on the chart don't necessarily match what was originally recorded, especially at expert level. The people who chart get tricksy just for kicks sometimes.

Also, I find it helpful to do a run, then note the phrases that I missed, and isolate them in practice mode until I'm able to get it right. Then, I can put them together in a complete run.

Another typical music-teacher's trick: you're more accurate, and you sound better, if you use some diaphragm support, and the best way to do that is to stand up while singing. When I'm just goofing off with my drinkin' buddies, I'll still sit on an upright chair or a drummer's throne to sing, because I get winded if I try to sing sitting on a couch or recliner. If I'm making a video or want to sound good, it's standing up. Keep your spine up and push with your diaphragm under your sternum.

I don't know if any of this helps, but I thought I would just throw the obvious out there.

Well, for the first part I think I'll just record a video Monday and see where that goes.
I've seen practice mode and the repetition helps, but certainly not on the example I stated previously. I also do stand up sometimes but the result is generally the same. Distance from the TV also makes a difference, but not by much.
I was thinking maybe the amount of air now that you mention diaphragm. When I first picked it up, I was on mostly a whisper. By trying to undo years of quiet speech, I think that's why I'm not getting so many 30-40% scores anymore. I know being loud was brought up before, but maybe I am not being loud enough and I feel louder without actually being louder? Like the screaming parts. I feel incapable of ever sounding like that if that puts loudness in perspective.
Koetsu  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the video.
http://youtu.be/RfqP6oDahAU
It turned out worse than I planned because my stupid camera died 1 minute in. This is a fair example since I ended up getting 83% on medium at the end.
CaptCalamity  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that I picked up on immediately: whenever you see talkies break at all, stop and back out to the main menu, and restart until they pick up again. It's just a weird thing about the game; sometimes they're broken, and won't work unless you do that. They should work every time, no matter what else gets messed up.

It's hard for me to tell the noise level in the room, but I play Rock Band the way it was meant to be played, and the way musicians actually use monitors on stage: freakin' LOUD. I turn up my surround-sound system so that I can actually hear the song. If this is a typical example of how you play, I wouldn't be able to hear the tune to sing along with, but that's just me.

I think you may be right about having to change habits from speaking quietly, and that may be a difficult thing to overcome. When I'm singing, I'm belting; I notice that in Icemage's videos, which are all very good BTW, he moves a decent amount of air, too, enough to carry the tune.

I think it would just help to play loud enough to hear the melody, and move enough air so that it sounds like you're rockin' out! It may help to look at more videos to hear what people are trying to do.

I've made a couple recently for another RB players group that I'm in, just to demonstrate paths for songs that are fairly easy to get shared #1's in, so if the path is followed, you can get one pretty easy. I don't claim to be a competent singer, but I move some air. Here's one I did not too long ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0NkbQIGmWk

Watch some more of Icemage's, and some of the other folks who post frequently, too. I think if you focus on picking the tune out by ear and then moving some air, it might help.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koetsu wrote:
Here is the video.
http://youtu.be/RfqP6oDahAU
It turned out worse than I planned because my stupid camera died 1 minute in. This is a fair example since I ended up getting 83% on medium at the end.

No worries about the quality or length of the video; there's enough to work with here.

I closed my eyes and listened to what you were singing and here are some observations:

1 -> When you know what you're supposed to sing, you mostly do fine. (but see #4 below)

2 -> You've picked up the (very common) bad habit of singing notes "just close enough" to complete phrases on the lower difficulties. This is one of the hazards of learning how to sing from playing Rock Band, as the game tells you you're doing fine even when you're not actually in tune with the music. It's especially true if you spend a lot of time learning how to sing songs on the lower difficulties by trusting the in-game meter instead of trusting your ears to tell you how you're doing.

Looking at your video, phrase 8 at 1:02, "Si tu supieras lo que te quiero", it's clear you aren't singing notes from memory on that phrase, but rather modifying your voice like a slide trombone to try to "nudge" the arrow into the right position.

What I "think" you did there was you saw that the lines were higher at the end of the phrase on some of the words and you just bent your pitch up a little bit to try to hit the notes (which didn't work), probably because you had no idea how it was supposed to sound and/or how to produce the notes on demand.

3 -> You have trouble telling when you're not in tune. There's a "trick" to listening when singing where you listen to both the outside music and your own voice at the same time, instead of tuning one or the other out mentally. At a guess, you're doing one of those two things.

Watching your video, I see at 0:45 on the phrase "Por tu amor y por tus labios", you miss almost the entire phrase because you have no idea where you're voice is supposed to be. Is it because you just don't know what that phrase is supposed to sound like, is it because you don't know what pitch to begin at (and then get confused and panic trying to "fix" the arrow), or are you tuning the music out unintentionally and just trying to guide the arrow with your voice?

4 -> You don't know Oye Mi Amor nearly well enough in terms of the melody to hold combo on most of those phrases on Expert. Even on the very first singing phrase, you're misremembering the melody, maybe because you're trying to reproduce the guitar riff in some way instead of what you're hearing from vocals.

I'm pretty sure it should be (just mapping the phrase by ear):
Code:

No sabes como te deseo
No  sa   bes co  mo  te de  se o
F#  E-F# F#  F#  F#  E  D   E  F#

But instead what I'm hearing is

B E-F# F# F# F# E D E F#

To do well on a song, you need to learn what the melody that the game is expecting you to sing. 95% of the time, what you hear from the singer is what you're expected to produce. The rest of the time, there might be harmonies or really loud instruments drowning out vocals and you have to do a little study or spend some time in practice mode to figure out what you need to do.
Koetsu  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. #3 and #4 seem like the most relevant to me. There is a sense of panic because I wasn't sure where to go or where to start. The melody was still fairly unfamiliar to me, but I knew enough of the words to use it as the sample. Lower difficulties are more generous, but Expert is disappointingly out of reach for me yet.

But this "tuning out" you described must be developing as I have made great progress. Once again, on my scores page, the greatest increase I've got so far is on The Good Left Undone. I think it was on Medium, but I can start signing on the correct pitch apparently. I've also started playing on Hard seeing as how I'm still getting consistent 4 stars, which is good enough.
Koetsu  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may add to this, I have some other concerns.
First, I am getting better. I think the learning curve was steeper and less forgiving. I'm still playing on Hard, though.
And the tierings still feel backwards. 3- and 4- tiered would be easiest, with 0- 1- and 2- towards the bottom. Maybe it's just the hardware now? Seems like parts where there are multiple singers, it just won't register. Common examples for me would be the "they said they said" part of 'Help Is On The Way' and the "we don't have to take this" part of 'Bully'. Anything I do, the cursor just bounces around inaccurately even if I am certain I'm singing the part correctly.
Just me, or bad hardware?
CaptainCaptcha  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this advice is great, but also remember that there is a pitch guide in practice mode which can help you discern exactly what pitch you're trying to sing. I kind of learnt octave shifting through experience, but some songs you just need to hear the proper pitch dissociated from some of the audio clutter. Turning down the vocal volume of the song helps when you're doing this as well. For example, I could not for the life of me grasp the pitch of Low Rider on vocals barring the last couple of phrases, but then I took it into practice with the pitch indicator, practiced the parts I was struggling with a few times and FC'ed it on Expert in about 20 minutes.
tma  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I wanted to add, because it doesn't t seem t have been mentioned, is that you can adjust the sensitivity of the microphone. I'm not sure how you would do it on the Wii, but on Xbox you hold down one of the controller buttons and it will bring up a sensitivity slider. If you have a particularly quiet voice, upping the sensitivity should help. Another thing that might help just for purely getting the correct pitch when the words are tricky, is to hum that section.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
Icemage  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tma wrote:
One thing I wanted to add, because it doesn't t seem t have been mentioned, is that you can adjust the sensitivity of the microphone. I'm not sure how you would do it on the Wii, but on Xbox you hold down one of the controller buttons and it will bring up a sensitivity slider. If you have a particularly quiet voice, upping the sensitivity should help. Another thing that might help just for purely getting the correct pitch when the words are tricky, is to hum that section.

There are no sensitivity settings in Rock Band 3.

The only people who can adjust RB3 mic sensitivity at all are PS3 players (via the PS3 XMB settings), and that only goes so far.

---

Regarding harmonies: You're probably singing the wrong part. Unless your arrow is flickering or vanishing completely (neither of which I saw in your video a while back), there's nothing wrong with your hardware.
tma  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:

The only people who can adjust RB3 mic sensitivity at all are PS3 players (via the PS3 XMB settings), and that only goes so far.

Really? I did not know that. Why on earth did they remove that?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: zzUrbanSpaceman
Koetsu  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
tma wrote:

---

Regarding harmonies: You're probably singing the wrong part. Unless your arrow is flickering or vanishing completely (neither of which I saw in your video a while back), there's nothing wrong with your hardware.

The part wasn't harmonies. No, harmonies are too difficult to sing right now probably for the same reasons. In Solo mode, parts where it sounds like there are multiple singers are just harder to sing right. If the pitch remained flat and I sang the parts before it well, it would flail around the multiple-singer parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: