FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Harmonix Offers A Long Answer To The Question 'Where's Rock Band 4?'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackofalltrades  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Harmonix Offers A Long Answer To The Question 'Where's Rock Reply with quote

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/10/19/harmonix-offers-a-long-satisfying-answer-to-the-question-wheres-rock-band-4/

Can't wait for it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never even crossed my mind that it could be a possibility our instruments will be somehow compatible with the next-gen "Rock Band 4." That would be fantastic. What would be even better is if they figure this out and implement it, any new instruments might be backwards-compatible? A guitar died on me completely a few days ago, and now I only have one Les Paul left that has a loose neck that likes to drop notes due to it occasionally. It's getting harder to even find new instruments, let alone at a reasonable price.

I still kick myself for not taking advantage of an offer Gamestop had where you bought Guitar Hero: Aerosmith for 5 dollars and you got a free X-plorer. Maybe they had a one-deal limit, but I wish I would have bought ten of them otherwise. "No, I already have that game and a working guitar."

My first X-plorer was flawless, it didn't have any tilt errors like people say they did. Anyways, getting a little off-topic here. It would be amazing if new instruments were backwards-compatible, and I look forward to Rock Band 4, whenever that will be.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: poochz0rz
Airtrooper719  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Sounds promising, provided they include pro guitar/bass/drums/keys support of course.
voidedalive2x  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if they do make instruments backwards compatible (to which I say "HELL FUCKING YES!"), I do hope that they'll push out a line of new/old instruments to re-saturate the market a little. Hopefully by pulling from the instruments that worked on both RB AND GH.

Speaking of GH, even if that particular series will never again see the light of day, it'd be cool if HMX anticipated it's possible return within RB4's lifetime and included ways to put GH compatibility in. This probably isn't very practical since they'd have to entirely speculate on what GH7 would use, but yknow.

GH accomps: FFWF, DE, Battery HDrums FCs! HDrums 46/49!!
RB accomps: RB3 MDrums FGFC! RB3 MOMBFGFC!
Old Youtube, New Youtube | I do Twitch, now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
Midnight-Rider  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I ask for a new RB is that the tracklist is nice and varied, offering fun challenges for all instruments and that the character faces/animations are better than in RB3.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes me happy to read. I /really/ hope they find a way to make it backwards compatible with the instruments. Even though mine are getting a bit wore down, maybe a price drop will happen for instruments (I can hope)
inv4der  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I gonna have to actually install photoshop again?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight-Rider wrote:
All I ask for a new RB is that the tracklist is nice and varied, offering fun challenges for all instruments and that the character faces/animations are better than in RB3.

I can agree on the face part. Some of the pre-rendered models constantly look to the side. It's very weird when the camera directly faces them.

GH accomps: FFWF, DE, Battery HDrums FCs! HDrums 46/49!!
RB accomps: RB3 MDrums FGFC! RB3 MOMBFGFC!
Old Youtube, New Youtube | I do Twitch, now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
raynebc  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as they continue to support pro instruments, all of which interest me, it's all good. Using pitch detection for guitar/bass would be icing on the cake and by now I think it's safe to say the tech to do that is feasible.
Airtrooper719  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynebc wrote:
As long as they continue to support pro instruments, all of which interest me, it's all good. Using pitch detection for guitar/bass would be icing on the cake and by now I think it's safe to say the tech to do that is feasible.

I disagree with using pitch detection. Rocksmith has been remastered and updated numerous times and even that game is shockingly awful at hit detection because of it.

When it comes to RB3 Pro Mode, the concept is NOT to sound good, it is to play accurately, thats all.

The term "if its not broke, dont fix it" slightly comes to mind. They need to leave the Pro Guitar foundations the way they are, however, there needs to be alterations.

1. Option to remove that damn "fret-helper/navigator" from the hit bar
2. A more comprehensive/helpful/in-depth calibration tool
3. Fretboard customisation e.g. Maple/Ebony/Rosewood necks on the highway instead of that black and blue color scheme on RB3. and no transparency options.
4. In-game sensitivity calibration (to properly calibrate the attack of each string to prevent crosstalk and double-picks on a single strike)
5. Octave chords actually register when played with alternate strumming ("The Con" that is a prime example of a nightmare hit detection song)

They are just minor suggestions.

Now my MAJOR ones:

1. PRO UPGRADES - We Pro Guitarists deserve to have an enjoyable online experience as much as everyone else. Why force non-pro guitar players to own pro upgrades to play DLC in bandplay?! You are forcing the flagship instrument players (and the pro "EXPENSIVE" version at that!) into solo (boring) play most of the time unless you know a very select few people who own upgrades (non-pro guitarists) like Daveed Divas and Adrien and Rick.

The solution is simple. You create the upgrade, include it with the DLC song for everybody, and if that person happens to own a Pro Guitar, he/she has to PAY for ACCESS to play that upgrade. This means only the person who is going to PLAY it and post scores has to buy the upgrade.

If for example in a matchmaking session Player 1 has 100 DLC and Player 2 (Pro Guitarist) has 100 DLC but only bought access to 50 upgrades.... then Player 1 will also be forced, made aware of which 50 songs in the setlist they can both play together (all of the ones which are classed as "upgraded" by Player 2). No more manual searching! Only highly experienced RB3 players know to do the filter searches when there are pro instrument players (minus drums) connected in matchmaking, other people simply see their songs available and play them, whether they have pro support or not. If I could only have a dime for everytime these noobs pick "Nightmare", "Scream" or "Bat Country" when im in public lobbies pro guitar and they do not realise they need upgrades to be played.

2. Hardware:

If they do decide to make a new Pro Guitar:

- Tighter Nylon Strings or a machinehead assembly on the body of the guitar to allow players to string it with regular steel strings to the tension of A440 or around about that sort of feel, hell, even C# tension would be better than the mustangs tension at the moment. Steel strings will still register with the already installed cheap Piezo sensors provided they are at a decent tension.

- If they were nylon again, try to add some sort of gauging between the strings to aid muscle memory/feel...having them all the same size really screws with ones already trained muscle memory.

And finally, this doesnt apply to me, but I say this on behalf of a lot of my good friends on Xbox Live.

Make the damn journey more interesting and appealing to beginners..... so many people got intimidated by Pro Guitar when it should be great fun for all levels! Create story modes/journeys on Pro Instruments similar to that of rocksmith, where your skill level is measured and you can be recommended either a certain technique lesson, trainer or song. Also skill based acheivements would be a great kick up the backside for some beginners and would really motivate them to keep practicing to reach the next level.

Anyway I will stop my ranting here, its 5:30am and im in "internet troll" mode.... goodnight lol
raynebc  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure they could make a more accurate pro guitar controller without going out of the price range of most people who'd be interested. Software calibration can only do so much and hit detection was nowhere near perfect in Rock Band either. The Squier had its undocumented sensor tweaks, but the Mustang couldn't be messed with short of dismantling it. The Mustang and Squier were cool, but they each had plenty of shortcomings and I'd be surprised if either controllers' manufacturers would even be interested in having another go at producing something similar.
Airtrooper719  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raynebc wrote:
I'm not sure they could make a more accurate pro guitar controller without going out of the price range of most people who'd be interested. Software calibration can only do so much and hit detection was nowhere near perfect in Rock Band either. The Squier had its undocumented sensor tweaks, but the Mustang couldn't be messed with short of dismantling it. The Mustang and Squier were cool, but they each had plenty of shortcomings and I'd be surprised if either controllers' manufacturers would even be interested in having another go at producing something similar.

I dont think Fender or Madcatz would want anything to do with them either. So that leads me on to say we would pretty much have to use our old RB3 instruments. In which case, you can safely say Rock Band 4 will NOT include a pro mode. Why? Because you gotta be damn lucky to find a new Pro Guitar these days. They are certainly not going to make a game with Pro Guitar mode if it is only catering for those who already played it on RB3, they would go broke instantly.

Im starting to think a RB4 game will not be coming out, and it will remain a dream project for Harmonix. I know for a fact if they aren't going to release new peripherals available to everyone, new RB players and old, their business management will call it off instantly. Some people fail to recognise that the game industry is a business, and if they cannot make a substantial return on investment then it will never happen.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree that protar is probably dead. Would be nice to find out otherwise, but wouldn't expect it due to ecosystem issues.

Would obviously love if pro keys could survive to a nextgen game, but not sure that would happen either.

I just brought my gear over to a friends' place for Extra Life 2014 (our team raised 6K, yay us). I honestly wasn't sure if anyone would want to play and had some reservations that it might be a waste of time (it's about 2 hours of packing and setup time between the e-kit, projector, etc.). It went very well, and the only real issue was that some of the kids wanted to play stuff like Gangnam Style or Happy that probably would have been available if Harmonix was still releasing DLC. But I had Spongebob DLC so I was still a hero.

Next year I'll probably lug over a 360 with a bunch of customs as a backup, assuming there isn't a RB4 by then. People will always like this game because people will always like music. How to handle the business side with console generations and hardware vendor issues, I really don't know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: