FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mustang Alt-Strumming Technique?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blob  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Mustang Alt-Strumming Technique? Reply with quote

Anyone have a good technique for alternate strumming on this thing?

my pick always gets stuck between the thick strings.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only tried self teaching myself to play a couple years ago and gave up after a few months cuz it was hard.
But from what I could gather with the alt strumming is when you finally get your hand accuracy so precise you barely graze the strings so you just glide around on em.
i think its hardest for us as plastic players because we often just mash up and down harder than necessary.
I was just trying on beautiful people and sounded like I was grating coconuts.
FinalSunrise  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you're holding the pick correctly, you can find youtube videos, but you should only have 1-2 millimeters of pick that actually picks the strings, that way there's less of the dragging of the pick and less of it exposed to get stuck in the strings.
BowlZ  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont strum rigidly from the elbow. Use your wrist like you would when you paint a wall.

''First Ever'' is needlessly redundant and its never acceptable to use more than 3 exclamation points...
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: BowlZ
MetalPanda  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a thick pick : 1,5 - 3 mm, make an ''O'' (or a square, depending on how you see it) with your thumb and index, hold your pick between those (your thumb should be holding no more than the length of the pick). Have a relaxed hand, your other fingers should be relaxed going straight/very slightly curved. Finally pick with your pick parallel to the strings, and learn to use slighter movements of the wrist to pick a string, you can pick as hard as you want, just make sure it's necessary or you're not hitting too many strings it's just about practice there. Wrist movements should be used for picking in a series on the same string(s) and forearm movements should be only used for changing strings.

TL;DR? hope it helps, condensed at it is.
blob  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I play real guitar, I have a fender strat and can alt-strum on that easily.

Anyone posting actually have the mustang?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

search for "Tremolo picking" in youtube, there's many lessons/examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjyBNmqWnN0
Hitoshura  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tremolo picking seems much harder on the Mustang than on a real guitar. I think it's because the strings feel looser and more flexible than I'm used to. Almost like nylon strings on a classical guitar, but looser. I found the "tremolo picking" lesson in the trainer to be the hardest to pass because of this.

But maybe I just suck at tremolo picking.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't have the Mustang, there's no keyboard here, so I can't expect the Mustang.
From your description, it'll be much easier with the Squier but eh, cost.
MrPulsar  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice I can give is to just keep practicing. When I first started playing guitar alt-strumming was hard to comprehend because I couldn't figure out how to do it without screwing up my positioning and then just failing because the pick got caught up.

Ultimate-Guitar is a great resource for lessons and is where I learned everything I know about guitar.

Here is a link to a good alt-strumming guide. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/alternate_picking_technique.html

The mustang strings feel weird. The only other advice I can give for alt-strumming is to use a thin pick. I did not like the picks that came with the Mustang, instead I use .50mm picks. They're thin and don't give much resistance on the strings. (However please remember this is all personal preference so I would try using many different pick sizes to see what fits you best)

Hope this helps. Have fun rocking!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: MrPulsar
HoboBobulus  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrPulsar wrote:
The mustang strings feel weird. The only other advice I can give for alt-strumming is to use a thin pick. I did not like the picks that came with the Mustang, instead I use .50mm picks. They're thin and don't give much resistance on the strings. (However please remember this is all personal preference so I would try using many different pick sizes to see what fits you best)

This.

Seems like you're experienced with guitar, so you have the technique down. However, if the strings on the mustang have too much give, you might try getting yourself a light gauge pick.
blob  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all,

Probably gonna get a super light gauge pick from Guitar Center or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: