FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What's your range?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willski  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B1 to about A4, depending on how warmed up I am or how long I've been singing. I tend to lose range after about 45 minutes of nonstop singing.
Falsetto goes up to D#5 (the highest note on Livin' on a Prayer).

So with falsetto and chest voice, I have an almost 5 octave range. Not bad. The bad part is that a lot of songs are just out of my range in the A4 to C5 range, like a lot of the Who's stuff. I wish my range was a little bit higher, since basically no one goes below C2 in rock songs. Also, it sounds awful to sing Baba O'Riley in falsetto.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I am a basso profondo. Could be wrong though. Either way it's not great if you want to sing rock songs. The strangest part is that my speaking voice isn't all that low, it's about average.
Icemage  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willski wrote:
B1 to about A4, depending on how warmed up I am or how long I've been singing. I tend to lose range after about 45 minutes of nonstop singing.
Falsetto goes up to D#5 (the highest note on Livin' on a Prayer).

So with falsetto and chest voice, I have an almost 5 octave range. Not bad. The bad part is that a lot of songs are just out of my range in the A4 to C5 range, like a lot of the Who's stuff. I wish my range was a little bit higher, since basically no one goes below C2 in rock songs. Also, it sounds awful to sing Baba O'Riley in falsetto.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I am a basso profondo. Could be wrong though. Either way it's not great if you want to sing rock songs. The strangest part is that my speaking voice isn't all that low, it's about average.

B1 to D#5 is a bit over three and a half octaves, not five. You have all of octaves 2 through 4, two notes from octave 1, and about 2/3s of octave 5.

Your range is very close to mine, and yes it's a nightmare singing rock songs because almost everyone is tenor. I seem to have a bit more head voice range than you do, but that could just be from practice; certainly when I started playing vocals my range was closer to what you describe.

It's unlikely that you're basso profondo, though. I'm certainly not - I'd probably be properly classified as basso cantate or bass-baritone, and I suspect you probably are as well.
JunkDeLuxe  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what it means, but my range is E2 - E5. If someone wants to explain it, they would be my hero.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JunkDeLuxe wrote:
I have no idea what it means, but my range is E2 - E5. If someone wants to explain it, they would be my hero.

That puts you squarely in the baritone range. You probably have to octave shift down when singing the really high stuff in Rock Band (Boston, Judas Priest, all of the soprano female singers), and I'm betting some of the high tenors give you fits (Rio, for instance).
Kawigi  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:
JunkDeLuxe wrote:

That puts you squarely in the baritone range. You probably have to octave shift down when singing the really high stuff in Rock Band (Boston, Judas Priest, all of the soprano female singers), and I'm betting some of the high tenors give you fits (Rio, for instance).

When did you start doing vocal range horoscopes?
Organizer, Vocalist and path factory for Season 9 League Champion band Barre Exam (RB1) and cofounder of Season 10 League Champion band Better Than You --v (RB2) - The #1 band on scorehero
Kawigi's Rock Band Projects
Drum Paths | Star Cutoffs | Scoring Data for Pathing | Notes and Lyrics for Vocalists
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kawigi
Icemage  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawigi wrote:
When did you start doing vocal range horoscopes?

Your lucky numbers today are 1, 5, 16, 22, 29, and 31.
willski  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icemage wrote:

Your range is very close to mine, and yes it's a nightmare singing rock songs because almost everyone is tenor. I seem to have a bit more head voice range than you do, but that could just be from practice; certainly when I started playing vocals my range was closer to what you describe.

It's unlikely that you're basso profondo, though. I'm certainly not - I'd probably be properly classified as basso cantate or bass-baritone, and I suspect you probably are as well.

I initially thought I was at a lower pitch, since I couldn't sing aloud (it was like 2:30 am and my roomie was asleep). I edited the lowest note and forgot to change the octave part. My main problem with singing in high head voice is that I start to get raspy (like Roger Daltrey in some of the Who's songs, but not in a good way). My range has improved since playing, but only in the head register. My lowest and highest notes are the same, but I can hit more notes before going into falsetto.
Icemage  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willski wrote:

I initially thought I was at a lower pitch, since I couldn't sing aloud (it was like 2:30 am and my roomie was asleep). I edited the lowest note and forgot to change the octave part. My main problem with singing in high head voice is that I start to get raspy (like Roger Daltrey in some of the Who's songs, but not in a good way). My range has improved since playing, but only in the head register. My lowest and highest notes are the same, but I can hit more notes before going into falsetto.

Sounds like with more practice you can maybe get better control over your head voice range - that's what happened with me. I'm still not exactly comfortable hitting the notes at the high end of my range, but my power level, accuracy, and enunciation at the high end have improved dramatically over the past year.

That you can produce the notes at all means you have the ability to control the pitch - just keep at it.

By the by, we're both 1 note away from what I'd consider the minimum requirement of basso profondo, which seems to be the ability to reliably and comfortably hit A1. I can reach B1, but I can't hold the note very well, let alone enunciate much at that extreme.

This is what basso profondo sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WpD2Cspn6g
IndestructibleSD  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears my normal range is C2 to C4, and my falsetto only goes from C4 to C5. C4 really feels like a "transition note" for me, meaning it is very shaky and I can sing it in falsetto or in my normal voice. It seems very wierd that my range lands exactly on C notes, but anything lower or higher, respectively, than the notes I listed doesn't make a legitimate note. I don't know what any of this means, so a vocal horoscope from Icemage would be appreciated!
Grinnz  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your normal range is very similar to mine, except I can only go down to around E2 well enough for it to register on RB. After looking through Wikipedia some, it appears that I'm more of a bass than a baritone, as although I can produce a D4 and E4 without falsetto it is strenuous. So you're definitely a bass.
<Blehgopie> so its like GH guitar then
nillacocajola  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, is it normal to have a slight altercation in your range from the time you wake up to a few hours later? My voice seems to go a bit deeper in the morning than at night, but I can't strain them enough for certain high notes.

Also, is there anything you should or shouldn't do to get an accurate reading? Such as drinking water/soda, eating, etc.?

I just can't do it right now because everyone's sleeping, so I thought I'd ask a lot of questions.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: nillacocajola
Icemage  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nillacocajola wrote:
Out of curiosity, is it normal to have a slight altercation in your range from the time you wake up to a few hours later? My voice seems to go a bit deeper in the morning than at night, but I can't strain them enough for certain high notes.

Yes, this is normal. I don't know why it happens - maybe because you're dehydrated from sleeping.

Quote:
Also, is there anything you should or shouldn't do to get an accurate reading? Such as drinking water/soda, eating, etc.?

I just can't do it right now because everyone's sleeping, so I thought I'd ask a lot of questions.

Measure in the evening, drink a glass of room temperature (NOT cold) water beforehand so you don't hurt yourself (since you'll be testing your vocal limits).

Cold water will constrict your vocal cords and reduce your range a tiny bit, and other drinks have other effects on your voice. Caffeine (coffee, tea, soda) screws with vocal control as does sugar, milk coats your throat, alcohol is all kinds of bad for a variety of reasons, and anything acidic like fruit juice is bad too above and beyond being sugary.

Oh, and it should go without saying but don't eat anything peppery/spicy before singing.
redanteater  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C3 to A5, and I really had to strain for that low note. I was a soprano while I was still in choir.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: hobbitard PSN Name: redanteater
IndestructibleSD  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just coincidence that my normal range starts and ends on a C note, and my falsetto starts and ends on a C note? Or is it something strange? I just found it odd because a lot of the posts in this thread have ranges that aren't exactly set between two notes, and I'm feeling left out!
Tzepish  

Location: Redmond, Washington, US, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Mine does the same thing. Range is two octaves + one note (C).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: