FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Official Note Chart Opinions Thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CommanderFun  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fbimunky wrote:
Hm, that may be a better place for this.

I'll check out the Black Sabbath. I've obviously played Kool Thing on guitar in GH3, but I've never seen the drum chart. And I love Boston! Why did I forget about that pack? Maybe because I have a Wii, last time I checked it wasn't there...

Nope, I'm on Wii as well, and they're all there. Try organizing the shop by band if you're having trouble finding them. Also, while I'm not a drummer in the slightest(guitarist/vocalist mainly), I've always heard that Smooth Criminal is incredibly fun on drums.
jesse0986  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than just give my opinion on my favorite charts (since that seems to be the tendency in these threads, with the occasional WORST CHART EVER opinion here and there), I'm gonna grade any new DLC I collect from here on out. Could grade a whole bunch at a time with the Pepsi promotion still going, but after that it should slow down a little bit.

That said, I absolutely have to comment on what has become easily my favorite Guitar chart in any game to date, and I'm really glad I'm the first to weigh in on it in this thread.

----------------------------------------

Song: Love Spreads

Instrument: Guitar

Difficulty: Expert

Opinions: This is seriously orgasmic. The guitar is sort of twangy-tingy throughout, which surprisingly is not very common in Rock Band. There's some sort of riff to follow here to help keep the rhythm, but the true beauty of this chart comes in the ridiculous amount of fills that John Squire throws into it. This recurring pattern...

... and the ending (anchoring the low note while hitting the high ones) are especially memorable, because it's all at just the right speed and is just complex enough to make you feel satisfied every time you hit it. Almost everything in this chart is a HO/PO chain at a speed that won't leave you breathless but is fast enough to give you a great workout; you're almost assuredly going to drop combo somewhere simply because it's almost impossible to keep track of the different fills incorporated into this chart and the order in which they appear.

Sometimes on songs with HO/PO chains you get a great sense of awe as you play because you can feel your fingers sort of "auto-piloting," and that's one of the supremely satisfying feelings you can get playing the plastic guitar. Well, imagine six straight minutes of nothing but auto-pilot. (Okay, not quite six consecutive minutes because of the Break, but bear with me ). That's what Love Spreads is like.

This song is harder than its tiering suggests (it's placed in Tier 4, or in other words, it's got three black circles). I'd say it's at least Tier 5, maybe even Tier 6. But regardless, nothing in the song is so stupidly confusing that you'll get frustrated over it, and even if you find yourself habitually missing a sequence, you'll be having so much fun playing the song that you'll be able to overlook any minor mistakes.

I wish I could find a song whose chart is comparable in quality and originality as this one but I just simply can't. Nothing can do it justice. Collectively I've played over 550 songs on guitar in GH and RB (plus an additional 400 or so on Bass), and I do not hesitate to call this the best chart I've ever played.

Sadly, as my DLC collection expands, I see that this is clearly one of the lesser-owned songs among the folks in Band Quickplay, which makes me a very sad panda. Seriously, do all us DLC nerds a favor and go out and buy this song. Even if you don't find yourself playing it on Guitar, it is also TREMENDOUSLY fun on Bass and is a pretty good challenge on Drums as well. Oh, and have I mentioned that it's also a damn good tune?

In conclusion, Love Spreads is not only (in my opinion) the best Guitar song ever released, it is also arguably one of the half-dozen or so best full-band experiences out there. No collection of songs is complete without it. I really wish I could find something about which to complain, but... I can't. It's as close to a perfect chart as you'll ever find.

Songs like Love Spreads are the reason I play Rock Band and Guitar Hero.

Score: 10/10.

(Sidenote: unfortunately I have never played the GHWT chart, although I've watched videos and it also looks insanely fun.)
NYVideoGameFreak  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Song: Clint Eastwood

Instrument:
Guitar

Difficulty:
Expert

Opinions:
This song might not have any actual guitar in it but for what Rock Band did on the chart is really fun to play with the crazy first "solo" being the piano playing. This chart has you playing what I believe is 4 different sounds which is kinda crazy but their are so many fun parts to this song.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CommanderFun wrote:
fbimunky wrote:
Hm, that may be a better place for this.

I'll check out the Black Sabbath. I've obviously played Kool Thing on guitar in GH3, but I've never seen the drum chart. And I love Boston! Why did I forget about that pack? Maybe because I have a Wii, last time I checked it wasn't there...

Nope, I'm on Wii as well, and they're all there. Try organizing the shop by band if you're having trouble finding them. Also, while I'm not a drummer in the slightest(guitarist/vocalist mainly), I've always heard that Smooth Criminal is incredibly fun on drums.

Hm, looks cool. See, I connect at a friend's house from time to time, so it's not a matter of finding the song, just knowing it's there. And yeah, that song does look pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Song: The Conjuring

Instrument: Bass

This song wins at bass and is my pick for the funnest bass song on the album. Gallops are always fun to me, and even though I'm usually a drummer/vocalist, I always enjoy picking up my Les Paul and playing voxbass to this song.
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesse0986 wrote:

Song: Love Spreads

Opinions: This is seriously orgasmic. The guitar is sort of twangy-tingy throughout, which surprisingly is not very common in Rock Band. There's some sort of riff to follow here to help keep the rhythm, but the true beauty of this chart comes in the ridiculous amount of fills that John Squire throws into it. This recurring pattern...

... and the ending (anchoring the low note while hitting the high ones) are especially memorable, because it's all at just the right speed and is just complex enough to make you feel satisfied every time you hit it. Almost everything in this chart is a HO/PO chain at a speed that won't leave you breathless but is fast enough to give you a great workout; you're almost assuredly going to drop combo somewhere simply because it's almost impossible to keep track of the different fills incorporated into this chart and the order in which they appear.

Sometimes on songs with HO/PO chains you get a great sense of awe as you play because you can feel your fingers sort of "auto-piloting," and that's one of the supremely satisfying feelings you can get playing the plastic guitar. Well, imagine six straight minutes of nothing but auto-pilot. (Okay, not quite six consecutive minutes because of the Break, but bear with me ). That's what Love Spreads is like.

This song is harder than its tiering suggests (it's placed in Tier 4, or in other words, it's got three black circles). I'd say it's at least Tier 5, maybe even Tier 6. But regardless, nothing in the song is so stupidly confusing that you'll get frustrated over it, and even if you find yourself habitually missing a sequence, you'll be having so much fun playing the song that you'll be able to overlook any minor mistakes.

I wish I could find a song whose chart is comparable in quality and originality as this one but I just simply can't. Nothing can do it justice. Collectively I've played over 550 songs on guitar in GH and RB (plus an additional 400 or so on Bass), and I do not hesitate to call this the best chart I've ever played.

Sadly, as my DLC collection expands, I see that this is clearly one of the lesser-owned songs among the folks in Band Quickplay, which makes me a very sad panda. Seriously, do all us DLC nerds a favor and go out and buy this song. Even if you don't find yourself playing it on Guitar, it is also TREMENDOUSLY fun on Bass and is a pretty good challenge on Drums as well. Oh, and have I mentioned that it's also a damn good tune?

In conclusion, Love Spreads is not only (in my opinion) the best Guitar song ever released, it is also arguably one of the half-dozen or so best full-band experiences out there. No collection of songs is complete without it. I really wish I could find something about which to complain, but... I can't. It's as close to a perfect chart as you'll ever find.

Songs like Love Spreads are the reason I play Rock Band and Guitar Hero.

Score: 10/10.

(Sidenote: unfortunately I have never played the GHWT chart, although I've watched videos and it also looks insanely fun.)

This is the perfect summary of Love Spreads, I just recently discovered the song and when I saw the chart I had to get it. It is incredibly fun to play on guitar. The patterns are at the perfect speed and they're ejust so cool. It's a track that I can go back to again and again. It's just perfect. Everything works well in the song even the trill at the end that I've been trying to FC (no luck).

For any guitarists reading this, get Love Spreads. The guitar is so entrancing and entertaining. This is definitely my most recommended Guitar song. And as awesome as it may look in videos it is a hundred times more awesome when you actually play it.

"When things go wrong I seem to be bad
But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"

"And no one, thinks, they are to blame
Why can't we see, that when we bleed we bleed the same"
machchunk  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Expert guitar chart for Hard to Handle is one of the worst charts I have ever seen. You will be able to see why once you get 3 seconds in.

Also, fuck the following solos: Round and Round (both) Black Magic (1), Run to the Hills (OV), School's Out, Shining Star. None of you make any damn sense.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
DarthUsurper  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

machchunk wrote:
The Expert guitar chart for Hard to Handle is one of the worst charts I have ever seen. You will be able to see why once you get 3 seconds in.

Also, fuck the following solos: Round and Round (both) Black Magic (1), Run to the Hills (OV), School's Out, Shining Star. None of you make any damn sense.

What's wrong with those?
GenericName  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Song: Good Mourning/Black Friday

This is honestly my favorite chart in all of GH and RB. It has the slow epic intro, which goes right into an awesome solo. The riffs throughout the song are varied and fun, with lots of ho-pos, fun chord changes, 2 more solos, and some fast strumming. It really has everything you could want in a chart. I recommend it to anyone and everyone who plays the plastic guitar.

Deak2112  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any song that makes me go ""UUGGGHHH!!" as if orgasming is worthy of mention. 4 songs have done this with me.

Screaming for Vengeance
Constant Motion
Warriors of Time and last but not least
Carici di Diablo

I love solos with insane charts

Honorable mention:
Painkiller-the chart just wasn't quite hard enough for me to react like the above songs.

For lulz my Wiki and for My Youtube Channel

Free Bird since 11/9/2009
My only regret is that I only have one life to give for my Lord
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Deak2112
CyberRaiza  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Song: Runnin Down A Dream

This song is amazing. The solo is so fun; the triplets are decently fast, but nothing impossible. The solo just has so much cool stuff in it and the rest of the song is decent, but does get repetitive. It's just a really great song on Guitar and there aren't enough chords for it to get really boring.

"When things go wrong I seem to be bad
But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood"

"And no one, thinks, they are to blame
Why can't we see, that when we bleed we bleed the same"
Twall  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Song: Magic bus (live at leeds)- The who

Instrument: Drums

Opinions:This song is really fun in my opinion, for a lot of reasons. First its pretty challenging,but its not impossible to the point it makes you fail. It is very varied and containts lots of differents patterns. The first and less fun one is yellow notes with a simple and monotone beat that go on for 2 and a half minutes. After this there is a simple beat with difficult rolls throwed in that are very nice in my opinion. After this a little pause and the madness continues with a LOT of kinds of differents rolls, then a VERY fast pedal section and finally, more rolls. Its my favorite song from the who, and i really recommend it to experienced drummers. A load of fun patterns while fairly challenging at the same time.

Rating: 9.5/10

Song:Wake up dead- Megadeth

Opinions: Great song by megadeth, one of the best from the album (along with bad omen and GMBF). Its starts with an easy but nice to play gallop chord thing, then hits the first solo. It ain't very difficult, and its pretty cool to play. Followed by some chords and a very easy section, kind of like the first main riff of peace sells but a tad faster and different. You are now at the secondsolo . Im my opinion its a lot more difficult then the first one and it can fail the less experienced players but its no insanity either. Fast strumming follows, mainly red with some hammerons. Then the third solo, i think the most difficult one because of the very awkard gybgbygybgby pattern. The rest of the solo is great and a bit faster at the end but still awesome. Finally some slow chords and fast strumming. I highly recommend this song to every decent expert guitarist, its great chart + great song. Even if you dont like megadeth, you should buy it atleast for the chart.

Rating : 10/10

jesse0986  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a bunch of new songs today, I'll comment on a few of them.

---------------------

Song: (Funky) Sex Farm

Opinions: Anyone investing in the Spinal Tap pack is doing it partly for the sheer entertainment of the songs themselves. One of my favorite parts of the movie was when Derek Smalls was rambling about the "seriousness" of (Funky) Sex Farm, and it was one of three songs available through the Pepsi promotion, so I thought, why the hell not?

Unfortunately, I was rather let down by this chart. The little reverse Boston hook sequence that shows up a bunch of times is kinda fun, but I found the main riff a little bit too repetitive. This is probably a pretty good full band experience (as all of the Spinal Tap songs would be, if only because it's so damn funny), but this isn't something I'll get too terribly excited to see come up in mystery setlists.

I should note that the chorus chords are actually quite challenging, and as they make up the bulk of the points in this song, missing out on a five-star on your sightread is not out of the question if you're not very good with wacky riffs like it. They're probably pretty fun to play once you get them down, but alas, I am either not good enough to do it or haven't played the chart enough to get familiar with it. Oh well.

Score: 4/10.

---------------------

Song: Runnin' Down a Dream

Opinions: Although I'm not a big Tom Petty fan, I do love the hell out of this song, and I was absolutely stoked to hear about its release; I was even more stoked to see it become so readily available so quickly in the Pepsi promotion.

If you're as familiar with the song as I am, and if you know the workings of five colored buttons and the best way to arrange them to mimic guitar playing, then the chart won't throw you for any loops really. You can probably figure out the main riff in your head.

One thing that did sorta disappoint me was what they did with the acoustic parts in the chorus: they're straight chords. I'm not necessarily suggesting that we have to do something like if that's not what's being played, but still, making us jump to a different fret to play the strings of acoustic chords would've made the part a little more fun. But ah well.

The main attraction of this song for RB/GH players will be the solo, and holy hell it does not disappoint at all. I damn near failed out on the ascending triplets, which is not something I can say about a lot of songs I've played recently. I also lucked out and FCed the descending triplets, which felt really good.

So all in all, it's a pretty predictable chart, and its Tier 6 ranking is only really justified by the insane parts in the solo, but it's just such a damn good tune that I recommend giving it a try. This would be a great voxtar song, I imagine - there's no way you can play this without singing along anyway.

Score: 6/10.

---------------------

Song: Gunpowder and Lead

Opinions: I discovered this song in one of the sleaziest ways possible: it came on the jukebox at a bar while I was shooting some pool. It was a catchy little tune, good background noise while knocking back some drinks, but I promptly put it on the backburner after that night, never expecting to really encounter it again.

So there I was today, scrolling through the list of songs available in the Pepsi promotion, when... what the hell? Haha, no way, I see that this song is actually available! I'd gone out of my way to buy a few of the best-reviewed Guitar songs (according to the reviews at RBDLC), so I figured, what the hell, let's burn a point on a silly song. I'll give it a whirl, have a few laughs, and then invariably let it settle in with a bunch of the other forgettable DLC songs I've gotten. Right?

Well, to my complete surprise, this is actually a very, very fun chart. It's moderately slow so it's not gonna give you the workout that, say, Sin Wagon would, but the riffs are varied enough and they stretch all over the fretboard, so you're not stuck playing some repeating chords or something over and over. Even the chorus is pretty fun to play, and it's damn catchy too - you should find yourself singing along and feeling like a total tool for it, but that's part of the charm!

The song's coda is especially memorable: a pretty lengthy solo (200 notes or so) consuming the last minute of the tune. Like the rest of the chart, it's not especially challenging, but it has a lot of variety and it constantly keeps your hand moving. There's also a nasty chordy part near the end that could easily destroy any sightread FCs up to that point, so there's some stuff to keep you veterans on your toes.

Overall, this was a wonderful surprise and a great addition to my DLC collection for Guitar.

Score: 8/10.
zimzimmahzimmer  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Song: Feeling This

Instrument: Drums

a very fun chart. not as fast as Dammit, but still fast enough to be challenging. it throws a few hip-hop based beats at you at times, making it not your normall punk song. my only complaint is the hi hat pattern. alternating speeds confused me the first few times i played it, and will likely ruin your FC.

Rating: 8/10.

http://iphonewallpapers.ilovefree.org/images/wallpapers/15315514/animals/giraffe.jpg
chaosfreak07  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Song: The Banishment by Prong

Instrument: Bass

This rad tune kicks off with a guitar riff that, for some reason, reminds me of the famed riff from Metallica's Master of Puppets. In the verse it gets shallow, with you only playing four notes in each measure, but eventually you get back to the cool riff. In the second chorus, there's a pattern with hammer-ons that has you strumming red on every fourth note. That is one of my favorite patterns to play in the whole game. Awesome song, too. While it might start off weak, it grows on you pretty quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: